Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 02:56 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times

Advertisements

Even though it is a chain, individual shops are going to vary in quality of service.

Me, I like the little indy shop I found in a town about 5 miles from my house, guy has been in the tire business one way or another for about 40 years. That or just mail order the tires myself and head over to my buddy's garage, where we mount and balance them, balancing to +/- 4 grams as I have posted about before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 03:48 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
DT is my go to place for tires. Though occasionally I can get better deals at Walmart or Sam's Club.
I ordered some tires from Walmart on Friday and they were dropped in my driveway today.
I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly they showed up, plus they were the lowest price by quite a bit.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Yes and no. We love them because they bent over backwards to get us affordable tires when we needed them, even pulling a set of tires out of the dumpster for my son when he only had about $75 but was running with cords showing. The replacement tires were only about 30% or 40% tread remaining and normally they would not sell them even as used tires, but he was desperate and they wanted to help him out. They were more concerned with his safety than the risk of their liability. Made a loyal customer of him for life I think.

Our local DT shop in Michigan no longer does anything but tire and wheel installation, repair and balancing. When they used to do more, we had some issues with them telling us repairs needed to be done that were clearly not needed. I stopped going there for a while, but then Belle tire did the same thing. Eventually i learned the same personnel kind of drifted around between the various tire shops and dealerships. I eventually learned who were to good sales managers and technicians and learned to ask who was working there when I brought a vehicle in. If it was the wrong person, I would just leave and try another shop. However, when it comes to finding a good tire buy for the moeny, they are usually the best option. Hey even beat tire Rack - by a lot.

Years and years prior when we live din California, We used a discount tire shop in California and had them replace the shocks on our van just before we went on a trip up into the mountains. We had problems with steering on the way down and nearly went over a cliff. Found out the control arm nuts had been loosened and re-installed without being fully tightened even though the cotter pin was re-inserted. The loose ball joint stud moved around inside the control arm until it wore though and snapped off. Not only did we have to replace the control arm, we were nearly killed. Belle tire denied tat they touched those nuts, but they were no loose when we brought the van in (couldn't be with the cotter pin still in place) and no one had touched the suspension for over two years prior to that. there was no reason to loosen the control arms when putting in the hooks, but looking at it, I could see where someone might think it was necessary if they did not know what they were doing. They would not let me talk to the technician who did the work, so I went home and looked up his name on the work order. Then I called and asked for him by name. They told me he had been fired (they had no way to know who I was when I called).

i swore I would never go to discount tire again however that only lasted until I needed new tires and called around for prices (a year or two later), I went there and told them I was concerned and told them what happened. They said none of the people were there anymore, including the service manager. So I decided to go with them and they did a great job with everything we had them do after that. Then we moved and had to start all over again.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:38 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
When it comes to tires, be leery when prices seem too good. Tires that are close to the end of their shelf life tend to discounted significantly.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:24 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Just has 4 Uniroyals put on my wifes car at my local Chevy dealer for less than Discount wanted for the same tires. Had Discount offered me the same discount my dealer did, they probably would have gotten my business again. I have only bought one set from Discount, and I got them there because my usual tire guy couldnt get them in when I needed them. The one DT didnt have them but they went to another store and had them witin 10 minutes of me showing up. The guy doing my tires did mess up a rim, and DT ordered me a new one, no charge.
Discount Tire will match prices if you ask

Old 08-02-2019, 08:13 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes and no. We love them because they bent over backwards to get us affordable tires when we needed them, even pulling a set of tires out of the dumpster for my son when he only had about $75 but was running with cords showing. The replacement tires were only about 30% or 40% tread remaining and normally they would not sell them even as used tires, but he was desperate and they wanted to help him out. They were more concerned with his safety than the risk of their liability. Made a loyal customer of him for life I think.

Our local DT shop in Michigan no longer does anything but tire and wheel installation, repair and balancing. When they used to do more, we had some issues with them telling us repairs needed to be done that were clearly not needed. I stopped going there for a while, but then Belle tire did the same thing. Eventually i learned the same personnel kind of drifted around between the various tire shops and dealerships. I eventually learned who were to good sales managers and technicians and learned to ask who was working there when I brought a vehicle in. If it was the wrong person, I would just leave and try another shop. However, when it comes to finding a good tire buy for the moeny, they are usually the best option. Hey even beat tire Rack - by a lot.

Years and years prior when we live din California, We used a discount tire shop in California and had them replace the shocks on our van just before we went on a trip up into the mountains. We had problems with steering on the way down and nearly went over a cliff. Found out the control arm nuts had been loosened and re-installed without being fully tightened even though the cotter pin was re-inserted. The loose ball joint stud moved around inside the control arm until it wore though and snapped off. Not only did we have to replace the control arm, we were nearly killed. Belle tire denied tat they touched those nuts, but they were no loose when we brought the van in (couldn't be with the cotter pin still in place) and no one had touched the suspension for over two years prior to that. there was no reason to loosen the control arms when putting in the hooks, but looking at it, I could see where someone might think it was necessary if they did not know what they were doing. They would not let me talk to the technician who did the work, so I went home and looked up his name on the work order. Then I called and asked for him by name. They told me he had been fired (they had no way to know who I was when I called).

i swore I would never go to discount tire again however that only lasted until I needed new tires and called around for prices (a year or two later), I went there and told them I was concerned and told them what happened. They said none of the people were there anymore, including the service manager. So I decided to go with them and they did a great job with everything we had them do after that. Then we moved and had to start all over again.
Did you try Bell Tire.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:52 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
Meh, every time I've stopped by for a "free rotation" I've been to told the wait is over an hour - regardless of how busy they are. I just do my own even though I hate the job.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:43 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,473 times
What I really like about Discount Tire is all they do is tires. Shops that have full auto repair ALWAYS find some other "problem" with your vehicle when they get it on the rack.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:03 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
I've never used them before but I will check them out if there is even one nearby. I have always had good luck with TiresPlus personally, and have had my tires delivered there for install from Tire Rack before.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Did you try Bell Tire.

Quotng: " I stopped going there for a while, but then Belle tire did the same thing."

Not sure I understand the response above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive