Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 11:00 AM

1,069 posts, read 786,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
How can the ECM know ahead of time that a fuel pump is going to fail, or radiator hose is going to blow, or a tire is going to blow out? Some things fail suddenly, so saying they “can’t break down on the road” is ridiculous.
Other then tires, the rest of preventive maintenance is pretty predictable. For a manager who has twenty or thirty years in the field of vehicle maintenance it's a piece of cake. Of course a computerized records system would also be a prerequisite in the operation.

Tires are some what predictable but less so. However the money saved on the operation of driver-less vehicles and the extended hours of operation would go a long way toward a more conservative maintenance schedule.

Technology is already a lot more complex, You want to check out lights-out manufacturing. Here is a general summary, No lights, no heat or A/C no humans. Just robots working 24-7-365 and the factories are brand names which already exist all over the world.

I'd say life as we know it is going to change fast. I worked with an programmer who used to say he could replace any clerical job with a series of mouse clicks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 11:12 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
How can the ECM know ahead of time that a fuel pump is going to fail, or radiator hose is going to blow, or a tire is going to blow out? Some things fail suddenly, so saying they “can’t break down on the road” is ridiculous.
You seem to be concerned with the safety relating to self driving trucks, but have you considered how many lives have been lost due to motorized cars and trucks, over the years since they were created, whether by accidents, or equipment malfunction...society has tolerated the loss of life caused by motorized vehicles for the most part, as the benefits outweigh the negatives...so why would self driving vehicles be any different?

Point is, I dont hear anyone out there calling to go back to the horse and buggy days, even though millions of people have lost their lives due to motorized cars and trucks.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:24 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You seem to be concerned with the safety relating to self driving trucks, but have you considered how many lives have been lost due to motorized cars and trucks, over the years since they were created, whether by accidents, or equipment malfunction...society has tolerated the loss of life caused by motorized vehicles for the most part, as the benefits outweigh the negatives...so why would self driving vehicles be any different?

Point is, I dont hear anyone out there calling to go back to the horse and buggy days, even though millions of people have lost their lives due to motorized cars and trucks.
No I was simply responding to the claim that they can’t break down on the highway, when they most certainly can, and will.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:30 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
It'll start with routes in well-controlled areas, in countries with more ballz than ours. You know... like ports in China.

Then it'll expand to well-defined routes between transfer stations and the like.

Once this sort of thing becomes common in Europe and/or Asia, then eventually it'll make its way over here.

Because the fact is, that with vehicles and heavy equipment- Europe and Asia are often have innovations several years ahead of the U.S. It's not that they have technology that we don't or that we can't understand. It's that we're an extremely litigious society. Companies aren't willing to risk new tech here until all the bugs are worked out. So they work out the bugs in Europe and/or Asia.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:52 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Good, unions screwed themselves out of a job.
There's no union influence with trucking industry since many truck drivers are self-employed for hire with their own truck. The problem isn't cost it's the lack of drivers and our demand for consumption have made companies go out of business because they can't find enough drivers to meet the demand.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:09 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There's no union influence with trucking industry since many truck drivers are self-employed for hire with their own truck. The problem isn't cost it's the lack of drivers and our demand for consumption have made companies go out of business because they can't find enough drivers to meet the demand.
I know several truck drivers who say they are ready to get out of that line of work because of the increased traffic and inattentive drivers. I can’t say I blame them, I know I wouldn’t want to drive a semi through somewhere like Atlanta or L.A.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:56 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Europe has been running autonomous truck fleets for years by now.
They do?
As far as I know they did some tests in 2016, but I can't confirm that they are running fleets for years.
Any links about that?
Here are mine:
https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/...swedish-roads/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8917451.html

"Resembling the helmet of a Star Wars stormtrooper, a driverless electric truck began daily freight deliveries on a public road in Sweden on Wednesday, in what developer Einride and logistics customer DB Schenker described as a world first."
Wednesday, the May 15, 2019...

Old 07-20-2019, 07:08 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Periodic maintenance prevents the latter two.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:18 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Periodic maintenance prevents the latter two.
Not 100% of the time.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:59 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Europe has been running autonomous truck fleets for years by now. Actually, they are much safer than man powered ones. can't get drunk, high, text while driving, be ion bad mood, get heart attack etc, etc. It's a machine. Can't even break down on the road as ECM will know ahead of time something is going wrong and WILL pull to tech service.

Again, no one is asking YOU, what to do and how to proceed. Decision was made, autonomous and electric WILL be implemented, non autonomous WILL be banned "for the best of our children" or "environment" and you WILL vote for it. You can "express yourself" in forums or on the street corner all you want to, the real power does not care.
Stop talking to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive