Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 06:01 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I've driven by some larger dealers with a separate fleet or "Commercial" sales department, and they often have rows of light-duty pickups parked out in front, all of them white painted bodies with the black bumpers and grilles, and silver-painted steel wheels with center caps. Those trucks are clearly basic trim level, and I'll bet they aren't equipped with any additional option packages, either.

If a customer wants a truck like that, I'm sure the retail sales department can just snag one of them off the fleet lot, even if the fleet department won't sell to a retail customer directly.
All those fleet trucks are already sold to a company the dealer is the middle man between the company buying the trucks and the dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 06:10 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
All those fleet trucks are already sold to a company the dealer is the middle man between the company buying the trucks and the dealer.
Strange that they have them all on display out in the open in front of the fleet/commercial sales showroom. They always have a bunch of them on display like that. If they are already sold, you wouldn’t think they would all be left sitting out in the open like that.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Strange that they have them all on display out in the open in front of the fleet/commercial sales showroom. They always have a bunch of them on display like that. If they are already sold, you wouldn’t think they would all be left sitting out in the open like that.
The company who bought them and picks up at their leisure and the amount of money the dealer made by being the middle guy they let them use their lot.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:39 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
The company who bought them and picks up at their leisure and the amount of money the dealer made by being the middle guy they let them use their lot.
Maybe so, but if I’m the purchaser, I don’t want a bunch of brand new vehicles I’ve already purchased sitting out in front of a dealership in an unsecured lot.

Most dealers I’ve dealt with charge storage fees after a certain period on customer vehicles that have not been picked up.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Maybe so, but if I’m the purchaser, I don’t want a bunch of brand new vehicles I’ve already purchased sitting out in front of a dealership in an unsecured lot.

Most dealers I’ve dealt with charge storage fees after a certain period on customer vehicles that have not been picked up.
These vehicles are insured and when you spend that type of money on that many vehicles you kind of tell the dealer when you are going to pick them up if you want to keep doing business with them, and I'm sure the dealer wants to keep them happy. Also the manufacture like Ford, GM, or Ram can tell the dealer to store them on their lot if they want to keep their dealer franchise. Remember the manufacture can pull a dealer franchise at any time with out warning if they want.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:14 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
These vehicles are insured and when you spend that type of money on that many vehicles you kind of tell the dealer when you are going to pick them up if you want to keep doing business with them, and I'm sure the dealer wants to keep them happy. Also the manufacture like Ford, GM, or Ram can tell the dealer to store them on their lot if they want to keep their dealer franchise. Remember the manufacture can pull a dealer franchise at any time with out warning if they want.
No, it doesn't work like that.

Many of those commercial vehicles on the lot are sold and just going through the delivery process, but many commercial departments also have a large stock truck inventory and those trucks are available to anyone who wants them. The dealer floorplans and sells these vehicles just like their cars.

Under most circumstances a manufacturer cannot dictate a dealer hold inventory. For one thing, that inventory is not property of the manufacturer once it's gate released from the factory, so Ford can't tell a dealer to store a truck Ford doesn't own, anyway. Every vehicle produced is owned by some dealer, and that dealer decides what to do with their inventory.

Pulling a franchise can be very, very difficult depending on the state's franchise laws. It's a LONG legal process to make that happen. The only easy ones are when dealers are out of trust and/or doing something illegal. I have never heard of any state franchise law that would allow the OEM to pull a franchise without warning unless illegal activity is involved.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
No, it doesn't work like that.

Many of those commercial vehicles on the lot are sold and just going through the delivery process, but many commercial departments also have a large stock truck inventory and those trucks are available to anyone who wants them. The dealer floorplans and sells these vehicles just like their cars.

Under most circumstances a manufacturer cannot dictate a dealer hold inventory. For one thing, that inventory is not property of the manufacturer once it's gate released from the factory, so Ford can't tell a dealer to store a truck Ford doesn't own, anyway. Every vehicle produced is owned by some dealer, and that dealer decides what to do with their inventory.

Pulling a franchise can be very, very difficult depending on the state's franchise laws. It's a LONG legal process to make that happen. The only easy ones are when dealers are out of trust and/or doing something illegal. I have never heard of any state franchise law that would allow the OEM to pull a franchise without warning unless illegal activity is involved.
Thanks for the information I was just reporting what i herd from someone.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:38 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information I was just reporting what i herd from someone.
As far as those saying they want stripped-down vehicles like those commercial ones, for the most part any consumer can buy those, too. These days there aren’t too many special “fleet only” types of options and something like a basic Ford F-150 XL can be ordered by anyone. You just don’t see many XL models on dealer lots because most people don’t want them unless you are a commercial business looking for a stripped down unit.

There used to be a lot more “fleet only” options, and you needed to be set up in the system with a FIN Code to order those options, but that really isn’t the case much anymore. The OEMs want fewer buildable combinations so they have gone away from that sort of thing as much as they can.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:09 PM

908 posts, read 1,661,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
BINGO! Cars today are loaded up with all these fancy "options" that not everyone wants, and it jacks the price, so it's to the advantage of the dealer to sell cars with all kinds of add-ons, whether people want them or not. It's hard to find a car without them, or with few of these add-ons. I personally don't want to buy a car that requires any type of a monthly data plan. I don't need or want all that fancy electronic stuff on the dash. I drove for 50 years without it and don't need it now.

i absolutely agree,in fact i am sitting here NOT buying a brand new car , or even a recent one, because i HATE all the electronic gadgetry, the computerization of everything on cars. also the fact i don't trust computers and electronics with my life, and maybe nobody really should. That stuff gets messed up way too easily, and it could really cost a person in more ways than one. Not to mention, electronics take a more expensive battery.
AND CARS ARE NOW HACKABLE !

So right now , though i need a new car, and can afford one, i am repairing my very old vehicle, at least for now, it's going to be what i drive.

The other thing i hate is all the stupid "whiplash prevention" that makes car seats entirely and outrageously uncomfortable, to the point that it could cause a wreck, or spinal damage over time. Who needs their neck and head bent forward and down while trying to see over the steering wheel? if you a re NOT 6 foot 2 and don't have a large thick upper body ( ie, if you're female or a smaller male- probably over half of drivers-), this is just the wrong seat and headrest shape. I am sticking with my old comfy bench seat with its barely there headrest for now.

The silly manufacturers and regulators have pretty much ruined cars for the users, and are trying to force people to drive a dang computer while sitting in an effing uncomfortable, neck ruining cockpit .

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 07-25-2019 at 10:47 PM..

Old 07-25-2019, 10:27 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
In many cases, you cannot get the base level of trim that was available years ago.

Back in 2000, my father purchased a new, no-frills S-10 for $9,995. I don't think it even had a radio. No AC. Stick shift. Single bench seat, short bed.

You won't find a new truck like that on the market today.
You can get one very close to that. Only difference is it's a King Cab with 6 ft. bed. Nissan Frontier. It's $19k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive