Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 08:33 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I never use a debit card at a gas station -- skimmer central.
That's a reason not to use your card at a gas pump, not at gas stations in general. You can always take your card inside and have the cashier ring up your purchase if you're worried about a skimmer at the pump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 09:16 AM

810 posts, read 870,015 times
I had my card skimmed at the local gas station pump. Lots of activity on the card within an hour. Ever since then, I only use cash.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:56 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
I filled up my truck with diesel, then ran card again for gas for mower. Forgot to fill my small tank for other things and was denied. I either went to another gas station or was fine with what I already had.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:50 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's a reason not to use your card at a gas pump, not at gas stations in general. You can always take your card inside and have the cashier ring up your purchase if you're worried about a skimmer at the pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
I had my card skimmed at the local gas station pump. Lots of activity on the card within an hour. Ever since then, I only use cash.
The problem with paying inside is that a specific dollar amount is required to be paid in advance, whether credit card or cash. At least that has been my experience. If you want to fill your tank, you have to guess what it will take dollar-wise, without going over. They don't do refunds on unused amounts.

If you pay at the pump, it puts a hold on funds, then you can pump until your tank is full. I usually just use a brand-specific gas card when paying at the pump. I've never had a problem with one of those cards being compromised.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:18 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Never use debit at at a Gas pump. If it gets skimmed they’re right in your bank account. Use credit. It’s not your money if it’s stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive