Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will Gas Resale Values drop 50%
< 5 years 3 2.24%
Btw 5 and 10 years 13 9.70%
Btw 10 and 20 years 26 19.40%
> 20 years 92 68.66%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 03:09 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
I think it will depend on the market. For each market, it will depend on EV production / purchase % of total cars bought as well as government policies. I think the market would have to be going around 50% EV at the time. At that time the continuing growth of EVs will be obvious to most and purchases of ICE vehicles will slow down (due to people waiting). Also many governments have and eventually will ban restrict ICE sales due to pollution health concerns (and global warming). But they will wait to see EV supply is there.

In Norway this could happen in like 5 years. In the U.S., probably between 10 and 15.
Somebody’s drunk on the Koolaid. Look up F-150 sales vs Tesla sales and get back with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 10:00 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Speaking of education, they aren’t reliable at all. Tesla is ranked as one of the most unreliable vehicles manufacturers. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/1748024002
Good point in regards to education... or in the case of your post, lack of education. You're using a single unreliable manufacturer to claim that an entire category is reliable. The BMW i3 gets Consumer Reports' top marks for reliability and the Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Kona and Kia Niro are not far behind.

In your case, it's education, but in many others, it's the 20% use-case where ICE really excels (long distance trips, etc.).

Old 09-06-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Good point in regards to education... or in the case of your post, lack of education. You're using a single unreliable manufacturer to claim that an entire category is reliable. The BMW i3 gets Consumer Reports' top marks for reliability and the Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Kona and Kia Niro are not far behind.

In your case, it's education, but in many others, it's the 20% use-case where ICE really excels (long distance trips, etc.).
That single unreliable manufacturer happens to be the biggest seller of EVs. The Kona and newest Leaf just came out.
I didn’t state the entire category was unreliable. I stated that an EV drivetrain itself doesn’t guarantee reliability as the largest maker of EVs are also among the worst in reliability.

Just because something doesn’t have moving parts doesn’t make it simple.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:42 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,268,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Somebody’s drunk on the Koolaid. Look up F-150 sales vs Tesla sales and get back with us.

Market is going to be fractured by country and by vehicle type. I would guess ICE trucks would survive longer than ICE sedans.

EV production right now is irrelevant. It's related to predicting when EV production will be much higher.

Also, do you think it is unlikely that governments get involved?

Old 09-06-2019, 04:44 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,029 times
The market for electric vehicles will be saturated, soon after a few more automakers introduce their versions. Some of them are going to lose billions, and some of those may be bankrupted.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Market is going to be fractured by country and by vehicle type. I would guess ICE trucks would survive longer than ICE sedans.

EV production right now is irrelevant. It's related to predicting when EV production will be much higher.

Also, do you think it is unlikely that governments get involved?
I doubt our government would get involved. They’re willing to provide subsidies, but even those have a shelf life.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:07 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
I think it will depend on the market. For each market, it will depend on EV production / purchase % of total cars bought as well as government policies. I think the market would have to be going around 50% EV at the time. At that time the continuing growth of EVs will be obvious to most and purchases of ICE vehicles will slow down (due to people waiting). Also many governments have and eventually will ban restrict ICE sales due to pollution health concerns (and global warming). But they will wait to see EV supply is there.

In Norway this could happen in like 5 years. In the U.S., probably between 10 and 15.
I don't care about Norway. I'd put money on it that your wrong about the US...

Old 09-07-2019, 05:35 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I don't care about Norway. I'd put money on it that your wrong about the US...
Do you really believe that all of all the people who bought a new F150 will switch to a EV you are all crazy. Look at what Ford sold in 2018. I don’t see the EV market coming close to this.

If the 2018 pace keeps up, sales could reach an estimated 941,100 units. In the first half of 2018, Ford sold more than 450,000 F-Series trucks. That comes out to about one sale every 35 seconds.

So while the major automakers will have some EV they will not give up their bread and butter ice vehicles.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:31 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Do you really believe that all of all the people who bought a new F150 will switch to a EV you are all crazy. Look at what Ford sold in 2018. I don’t see the EV market coming close to this.

If the 2018 pace keeps up, sales could reach an estimated 941,100 units. In the first half of 2018, Ford sold more than 450,000 F-Series trucks. That comes out to about one sale every 35 seconds.

So while the major automakers will have some EV they will not give up their bread and butter ice vehicles.
Huh? Read my post again.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:27 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
The electric car is a city car, and a warm weather car.

Get out in the middle of the country, and they are all but none existent.

I was at our local large grocery the other day on a quiet Sunday morning. There were 27 midsize and larger SUVs and Pickups, all 4 wheel drive, There were 3 older cars. According to the DMV, there is not one Tesla registered in the entire state.

In our area we do not drive those little bitty cars they sell today. These are constantly getting stuck in the snow, and/or slid off of the road. We drive the type of vehicle that is required to handle the roads in adverse weather.

And deer jumping in front of a car, is another problem. The average deer hit, costs $12,500 to repair. So we use deer guards when we are going to be on the roads in much of the state. They are built for SUVs and Pickups.

https://www.ranchhand.com/grille-guard

With a deer guard, you don't have an average repair cost of $12,000 and up.

With a deer guard, you just go through a car wash to get rid of the blood and guts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive