Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 07:54 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,423,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No faster way to ruin your credit rating than to not make payments. Even if you do prevail in court, that is totally different from your payment history. ( I was in credit management for a good portion of my life.)

Basically, the financier doesn't care if the car was a lemon or not, they only know they loaned you the money to buy it. If you made a mistake, it is YOUR mistake.
Everytime I have financed a used car, my credit union (the lending institution), wants to know some details on the car, before it will approve the loan, they do this to make sure they are not loaning money for a POS, that will break down next week. Its in their best interest to check the car out best they can before loaning money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 08:06 AM

18,481 posts, read 15,431,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Wonder if anyone has any experience with this. I know I need to consult a lawyer, just stressing and looking for insight.

Bought a 10 year old car, as is sale. On the drive home, the check engine light goes on. (Yes stupid didn’t bring it to a mechanic). Drive it right to our mechanic who says it’s a sensor. They fix it, reset it. All good.

Drive it another couple of days, it comes on again. Our mechanic suggests taking it to the dealer.

The car is an absolute mess. There is flooding on the inside of the car sloshing around, the electrical is rusted and sketchy. It can’t pass inspection.

The dealer says, sorry it’s an as is sale.

I am horrified at myself for stepping into this. But also appalled the dealer is refusing to do anything.
Unless you can legally prove that the dealer deliberately deceived you about the condition of the car, you are screwed, and it's not even worth talking to a lawyer.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:12 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,565,163 times
I'm not sure any of us are licensed to practice law in Texas. I don't know what the law on implied warranties is there. Hence, I think the idea of seeking legal counsel is the only prudent course at this point.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:41 AM

9,335 posts, read 6,872,771 times
Check engine light just came on for the brain.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:52 AM

466 posts, read 523,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
Was the car in a flood or are the sunroof drains plugged?

What is not functioning due to water corrosion?

Fix the vacuum leaks (which shouldn't be that big of a project) and pass inspection.

Find a competent independent mechanic that works on German/Imports.
Haven't seen answers to the above questions. Additionally, which model is it; TT, A8, Q7?

Old 08-15-2019, 09:23 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,400,683 times
First, I'd like to congratulate myself for making it through this entire thread.

OP, you have no great options but you do have options.

1. Any business does not want to be dragged through the mud. I'd go to social media and any news outlook who is willing to listen. Tell only the facts though. I'd also consider picketing to get their attention. You will cause much than $12k damage to them in a short time and they know this.

2. The dealer quotes repairs of >$12k but I guarantee you that you can find a mechanic who doesn't work at a dealer to do this work for half what the dealer quotes or less.

3. Educate yourself for next time. Plenty of resources online for how to shop for a used car.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:37 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,161,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I don’t have the title yet.

So...

1.Bought the car, the check engine light came on. Brought it right to our mechanic who said it was just a sensor they could fix a couple of hundred dollars. Fine.

2. Light came back on, mechanic said bring it to the dealer, not sure what it could be.

3. Brought it to the dealer. They looked, found major issues. There were a few minor electrical things we didn’t notice. We asked the, to look into why they weren’t working, and that’s when the water was uncovered.

They put together an estimate to fix all the electrical, replacing the body harness. In order to do this, it would exceed the cost of the car, $12k.

It sounds as if we’ll have to sell it for parts... god damnit.

Something sounds fishy.

1) Why don't you have the title?
2) You bought a used car from a dealer and then took it back to the same dealer who now tells you it will cost $15,000 to replace the main wiring harness?
3) You haven't seen this purported water, you have no idea when it happened, and a previous look-over indicated no major problems.

I think you need to find yourself a proper independent mechanic. And get the title, right damn now. If you don't have the title you can't sell the car, should you decide to do this. In the future, don't give anyone the money unless you get the signed-off title.

There is no way in hell it should cost $15,000 to repair this car.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:57 AM

6,415 posts, read 9,726,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Something sounds fishy.

2) You bought a used car from a dealer and then took it back to the same dealer who now tells you it will cost $15,000 to replace the main wiring harness?
3) You haven't seen this purported water, you have no idea when it happened, and a previous look-over indicated no major problems.

I think you need to find yourself a proper independent mechanic. And get the title, right damn now. If you don't have the title you can't sell the car, should you decide to do this. In the future, don't give anyone the money unless you get the signed-off title.

1. I have never bought a car from a dealer and gotten the title right away, why is this even an issue? lol

2. She took it to a different dealer

Old 08-15-2019, 10:00 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,637,889 times
Quote:
Something sounds fishy.

Apologies all. I had written in another post I brought it to an Audi Dealer, not back to where I purchased it.

I have taken it to two mechanics. Our mechanic who tried to fix the issue of the check engine light and then the Audi mechanic who found extensive issues caused by the water in the car. How the water got into the car is unknown.

Anyhow, we are dealing with what we have. I know some states have loopholes if you can't register the car, lemon laws, etc. Looks like that doesn't apply in Texas.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:06 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,533,507 times
Quote:
Something sounds fishy.

Have you ever bought a used car with cash outright from a dealer? as far as I know this process always takes a few weeks for the buyer to receive the title. Why is this? because dealers don't put cars they take on trade or purchase for resale in their name - they are allowed to skip title. The title they hold is still in the prior owners name, and the only ones who can take that title and issue a new one for the new owners is the state government - this process takes a few weeks.

The op's situation may be much worse than what some posters are suggesting - that they just take the loss and move on. They put the car on a credit card, and I'm assuming they plan to make payments? this will turn into a 25% interest nightmare, and if that's the case I'd have to ask wth they didn't take a loan with a much lower interest rate? Anyway, if this is the case that probably means they don't have money to buy another car.
As far as advice to dispute the credit card charge, in the unlikely event Amex agrees with her she will be sued and lose and open a huge legal can of worms - so I think that's bad advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive