Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 07:03 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,722,080 times

Advertisements

Vac leaks typically aren’t super serious, but occasionally can be expensive to fix. I might roll the dice on that. From experience they can be a pain to track down, and if your mechanic charges “time in” on this rather than a flat rate, eek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:08 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Read the links I posted.

^^^ Probably not a good idea. She signed the contract. She took the car.
She will need to show that the dealer fraudulently induced her to buy the vehicle, which is a very difficult and often expensive battle.

There is a thing called revocation of acceptance. It means that you still can "revoke acceptance" of the goods if the goods are "substantially impaired in value" to you.
It's a self-help remedy, which is effective upon notice, so if you revoke, it takes place, and then the dealer will have to sue you to prove your revocation unjustified. The bottom line is, it depends on how much money is involved. If a substantial amount, it might be worth your while to hire a lawyer knowledgeable in TX commercial code.

How long ago you bought the car, OP?
Texas Laws for a 3 Day Period when Buying a Car
https://bizfluent.com/info-10047108-...uying-car.html
Damn.. it’s been two weeks. I did call the day we bought the car. Just cursing myself. So damn stupid $12k i don’t have down the ****ing drain.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:10 PM

157 posts, read 92,848 times
A family member of mine bought a used car from a private sale, knowing the check engine light was on, and did not have it checked by a mechanic first. I was floored when they drove home with it. It didn't pass inspection, plus it made all sorts of noises and a major feature (AC) wasn't working. But the body was in good shape and it had really low mileage, even for quite an old car. So, they bit the bullet and spent the money to fix everything (except AC - it's just not important to them), and they now have a great car that is well loved. With lots of "young" parts. Moral is...you've got the car, so do what you can to make the best of it, get the repairs done, and carry on with life. Lesson learned.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:11 PM

61,629 posts, read 86,981,866 times
$12K for 10 years old car with a major water leak? what did you buy? Did you pay cash?
Get a detailed estimate from a car shop how much it will cost to fix the car.

You might want to consider the help of a lawyer, though. Or at least get a "free" consultation.
https://www.freeadvice.com/
https://www.avvo.com/free-legal-advice
https://blog.capterra.com/free-legal...actually-free/

Old 08-13-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoSomething View Post
A family member of mine bought a used car from a private sale, knowing the check engine light was on, and did not have it checked by a mechanic first. I was floored when they drove home with it. It didn't pass inspection, plus it made all sorts of noises and a major feature (AC) wasn't working. But the body was in good shape and it had really low mileage, even for quite an old car. So, they bit the bullet and spent the money to fix everything (except AC - it's just not important to them), and they now have a great car that is well loved. With lots of "young" parts. Moral is...you've got the car, so do what you can to make the best of it, get the repairs done, and carry on with life. Lesson learned.
Unfortunately he repairs far exceed the value because of the flooding.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:15 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Just repeating what everyone else has said.........you are the proud owner of an as-is hunk-of-junk, no returns, no recourse.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:19 PM

17,532 posts, read 13,320,341 times
It pays to pay for an inspection

You are royally screwed

Old 08-13-2019, 07:21 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,722,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
It pays to pay for an inspection

You are royally screwed
It sounds like she did have a PPI performed.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:23 PM

17,532 posts, read 13,320,341 times
Quote:

You might want to consider the help of a lawyer, though. Or at least get a "free" consultation.

"As is" means as is.......Even the Supreme Court cant help her

Old 08-13-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
$12K for 10 years old car with a major water leak? what did you buy? Did you pay cash?
Get a detailed estimate from a car shop how much it will cost to fix the car.

https://www.freeadvice.com/
https://www.avvo.com/free-legal-advice
https://blog.capterra.com/free-legal...actually-free/
I have a lawyer friend who is looking into it. The cost is $15k to fix it, have the details, gave it to the dealer.

Of course we had no idea it had a water leak, our mechanic didn’t even catch it. Makes me think something internal is leaking.

Sorry, anxiety and stress get to me tremendously. Appreciate your kind words and offer for some guidance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive