Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 12:14 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,235,559 times

Advertisements

One last-ditch thing to check is a recall history for the vehicle. I have an amazing 2001 VW Golf TDI that has been nothing but reliable with 300K miles on mostly original parts (upgraded clutch, differential, brakes, etc). I remember the sunroof drains clogged and the headliner got wet (not an issue cuz it never rains in SoCal), but a recall was issued the following year of the incident. I fixed it myself by cutting the excess drain line tubing; it was too long and would be get pinch at the end. I think VAG was paying for recall and associated repair work as a result of the defect.

I would check into all the recall history and see if anything there might mitigate your damages. Next, I would find an indy VW/Audi mechanic to see if they could do a reasonable repair job to get the car to pass inspection. You may find some help on VWVortex.com and see if a local member can scan your ECM with VCDS to get a thorough reading of all your sensors and settings. I don't know what a 2009 Audi looks like under the hood, but a 2001 VW has about 28ft of vacuum lines that are very easily accessible. If the dealer is quoting $15K for the repair, I'm guessing an indy can get the car to pass inspection for under $5K.

If I understand you correctly, there's rust and electrical damage. The indy should be able to tell you if it's just surface rust or structural, and if the entire engine harness and wire loom needs replacing or just a few sensors. Best case scenario is if your ECM is the culprit. A simple swap from a used donor would be the fix. Clearly we need more information.

Finally "As is" doesn't always mean "As is," but I'm not sure what the laws are in Texas. Generally "As is" does not exempt deceit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 12:23 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I feel for you, OP.

Doesn't look like Texas law will offer you much recourse.

However, if I were you, I'd be all over AMEX to cancel this transaction since they sold you a damaged car without disclosing it. And since the title was not turned over to you, there may be more funny-business going on there with the selling dealer. Tell all this to AMEX. And then cross your fingers.

If that doesn't work, you've received some good advice in this thread to make the minimal amount of repairs by an independent mechanic so you can register the car. The worry about the water damage later.

I've seen many reports about cars that were flooded in hurricanes over the last few years now being sold by unscrupulous used car lots. Buyer beware.
We still don't know who and when wrote the "MAJOR WATER DAMAGE" note...

Old 08-14-2019, 01:48 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
What 10-year old car still sells for $12K?
Just $12k or at least 12k?

2008 Land Cruisers retail for $26,000!
2008 Lotus Elises retail for $35k
2009 Ferrari F430 retails for $245,000
2008 MB SL cars retail for over $30k
2008 Tundras and Highlanders retail for around $20k
2008 Tacomas for around $18k

About the only 2008 Toyotas that don't sell for over $12k right now are Camrys and Corollas.

2008 Honda S2000s "retail" for $18k (any you actually find for sale are a whole lot more [ones in eastern Mass are going for $40-60k!])

Old 08-14-2019, 02:55 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I have a lawyer friend who is looking into it. The cost is $15k to fix it, have the details, gave it to the dealer.

Of course we had no idea it had a water leak, our mechanic didn’t even catch it. Makes me think something internal is leaking.

Sorry, anxiety and stress get to me tremendously. Appreciate your kind words and offer for some guidance.

Definitely at least give AMEX a call, if they can't help you, let them say that. I am pretty certain you can charge back this car.

Any dealer who sold you a crap flood car like this for $12K deserves to have that car shoved up his - well, you know.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:18 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Definitely at least give AMEX a call, if they can't help you, let them say that. I am pretty certain you can charge back this car.

Any dealer who sold you a crap flood car like this for $12K deserves to have that car shoved up his - well, you know.

What makes you think the dealer knew about it? Apparently, the other deal had to dig in pretty deep to discover this as the OP's mechanic checked over the car and fixed a sensor without noticing it. Dealers usually buy cars at trade-in or auctions, spend virtually no time driving them, and spend very little time checking them out especially an "as is" vehicle.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:22 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Sounds like you bought a luxury car at the end of its life. I don't know why people do this, do you know why you did that? I'm just curious... If you have a budget of 12k for a car, don't get a 10 year old 7 series!

Old 08-14-2019, 03:26 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What makes you think the dealer knew about it? Apparently, the other deal had to dig in pretty deep to discover this as the OP's mechanic checked over the car and fixed a sensor without noticing it. Dealers usually buy cars at trade-in or auctions, spend virtually no time driving them, and spend very little time checking them out especially an "as is" vehicle.

I don't think that matters. The thing is, call AMEX. We are just speculating here.

The vendor does not have to know they are selling you a defective product. You just have to get home with it and find it defective, and charge it back.

Some years ago I bought something from a company that had a different business name overall than the catalog I ordered from. This was not Luddites, Inc., which puts out catalogs like Best Brushes, Lilliput Motors, etc. but similar setup. (These great little catalogs do have a message on the "order" page that your credit card will show "Luddites, Inc. rather than the catalog name) So I saw a charge on my credit card from a company I didn't recognize, and I put it in dispute. Well the guys at this company called me up soon after and asked if I was dissatisfied with my purchase, or what, and I explained that I didn't recognize the company name on my credit card statement. They explained how that came about and I took the payment out of dispute, no blood, no foul. But with a credit card, YOU are at an advantage against the vendor, unlike if you paid cash.

Anyway, OP, call AMEX and talk to them, regardless of what else you do or don't do, and don't pay off the $12K charge till you are sure they can't help you out.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:41 PM

21,880 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I don't think that matters. The thing is, call AMEX. We are just speculating here.

The vendor does not have to know they are selling you a defective product. You just have to get home with it and find it defective, and charge it back.

Some years ago I bought something from a company that had a different business name overall than the catalog I ordered from. This was not Luddites, Inc., which puts out catalogs like Best Brushes, Lilliput Motors, etc. but similar setup. (These great little catalogs do have a message on the "order" page that your credit card will show "Luddites, Inc. rather than the catalog name) So I saw a charge on my credit card from a company I didn't recognize, and I put it in dispute. Well the guys at this company called me up soon after and asked if I was dissatisfied with my purchase, or what, and I explained that I didn't recognize the company name on my credit card statement. They explained how that came about and I took the payment out of dispute, no blood, no foul. But with a credit card, YOU are at an advantage against the vendor, unlike if you paid cash.

Anyway, OP, call AMEX and talk to them, regardless of what else you do or don't do, and don't pay off the $12K charge till you are sure they can't help you out.
That's not how as-is works.

You can open a claim but sour grapes isn't much of a grounds for a chargeback. If you can prove fraud on the dealerships part, sure. If they said it's a great car and runs perfectly and you can prove that they knew it was flooded and had all sorts of problems, that would be fraud. Good luck proving it though.

There's no real reason to expect the dealer did know. On a trade-in they generally do a walk around for body damage and might take it on a short test drive if they plan on keeping it on the lot. If it's going to auction they don't even care about that, just look out the window and check data base.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:28 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Amex won’t guarantee a car purchase, we already checked. We have an estimate to fix things to keep car to pass the inspection, clear out the water and it will be good for now.

Thanks everyone for their insight. First as is car, don’t know if I’ll ever do that again!!

Old 08-14-2019, 05:48 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
OP it would help if you posted an itemized list of what is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive