Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 09:14 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times

Advertisements

The CX-9 is built in Japan. My wife has a 2011 CX-9 with 125,000 miles on it. It has been a great vehicle. The drivetrain is silky smooth. GREAT braking. Excellent handling for a vehicle of this size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 09:46 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
Your options are a Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Subaru Ascent, Mazda CX-9, Mitsubishi Outlander. The Highlander, Pilot, and Ascent are all assembled in the United States with the other two being assembled in Japan.

I would definitely pass on the Outlander. It has the tightest interior and doesn’t offer anything unique, and it's probably going to be the least reliable.

Do you need AWD? The Subaru Ascent comes standard with it. If you want it, then it’s the cheapest one of the bunch to have it. Otherwise, I would go with another option as you can get FWD. It has a turbocharged boxer engine which may be less reliable long term. I’ve heard really mixed things about Subarus. Some people love theirs while others have found them to be less reliable.

The Mazda CX-9 is the most athletic of the bunch. Due to its packaging, it is less space efficient. It has a turbocharged engine. It too will probably be less reliable than a Pilot or Highlander but not terribly so.

The Pilot is overall pretty good. There isn’t much noteworthy to say about it other than the transmission is made by ZF of Germany. This is where it gets tricky; some people have claimed about reliability, but it’s unknown if they just dislike the shift quality or if it has problems.

The Highlander will likely be the most reliable. It has a hybrid available, but I would pass. It’s pretty expensive, and there’s not much fuel economy gain. If possible, I would wait until the 2020 model hybrid. It should be much more efficient. Again there are also whispers of reliability issues with its transmissions.

You should really consider a minivan, especially if you don’t need AWD. If you’re set on a crossover I would look at the at the Kia Telluride.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:16 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times
Wife would not drive a minivan, so that goes the category.

I am inching toward Toyota Highlander; the 2nd consideration is Mazda CX9.

Is there a prevailing price for the a 2019 (don't think 2020 model is out yet) Toyota Highlander AWD V6? I see a comparison site that gives these numbers:

Toyota Highlander LE V6 AWD:
MSRP - $34,140
Avg. Paid - $29,468

Mazda CX-9 Sport AWD
MSRP - $33,320
Avg. Paid - $25,956

And is there a hassle free way to buy a vehicle these days? Meaning dealer makes a fair profit, and I don't worry about overpaying; no need to haggle... The last time I bought a new car for myself was year 2000. Things might have changed.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:50 AM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

This. I had 2012 Highlander Hybrid AND six adults plus luggage inside.
Very family oriented vehicle. Lots of room.
very reliable.
As in - very.
I'd be careful though with upcoming 2020 model as it will have a 4 cyl engine. I am rather doubtful on that for the vehicle size.
Don't forget that Mazda does not release parts to aftermarket. Any slightest piece you need -dealer only and HEFTY price. This is why I stay away from them as I DIY my cars repairs.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:56 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This. I had 2012 Highlander Hybrid AND six adults plus luggage inside.
Very family oriented vehicle. Lots of room.
very reliable.
As in - very.
I'd be careful though with upcoming 2020 model as it will have a 4 cyl engine. I am rather doubtful on that for the vehicle size.
Don't forget that Mazda does not release parts to aftermarket. Any slightest piece you need -dealer only and HEFTY price. This is why I stay away from them as I DIY my cars repairs.
Really? I wrench on my Mom’s Mazda3, though granted that platform is under everything from a Ford Focus to a Volvo S40. Parts haven’t been a problem, but neither has reliability.

Still going CX9. It’s the most athletic and premium-feeling. And I like the underdog status, Mazda makes fabulous cars but doesn’t get big market share. For a fairly small automaker, they just consistently turn out nicer stuff than they have any right to.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:16 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,187 times
4Runner - made in Japan and can be built with a third row seating. Extremely reliable, you can't kill that 4.0L V6.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:20 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
4Runner - made in Japan and can be built with a third row seating. Extremely reliable, you can't kill that 4.0L V6.
True, but that fuel economy...it’s not far off from a Tahoe. Personally, a 4Runner is something I’d rather have, but it doesn’t compare that well with these other crossovers unless he’s bombing along some trails.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:30 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Want to leverage the collective knowledge of this forum...

I am looking for a new vehicle. There are my only 2 factors:

- Japanese make. Hopefully this reduces the repair budget
- Can seat 6 if necessary. It doesn't have to regularly seat 6, but when needed I need to be able to pack in 6 people (maybe something folds down to become 3rd row seat?). I want to take wife, 2 kids, and grandpa grandma on road trips all in 1 car

Optional:

- Hybrid engine. I am only coming around to electric vehicles; I don't know the economics of it but am willing to look into it

What are the candidates? Thank you.
If you had not limited the choices to Japanese makes only, then my first suggestion would be a Volkswagen Tiguan with the 3rd row. It is an all-around great vehicle and includes a 6 year/72,000 mile warranty, at least through the 2019 models. Reportedly, 2020 models will only have a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty but that is still much better than what most manufacturers make standard.

However, sticking to your factors, I would suggest the Mazda CX-9.

Last edited by phlinak; 08-14-2019 at 11:46 AM..

Old 08-14-2019, 11:41 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
The CX9 has 3 rows, Subaru Ascent, as well, both are 100% Japan.

The Ascent is built by Subaru of Indiana Automotive (SIA), a subsidiary of Subaru corporation, in Lafayette, Indiana.

So, how is it "100% Japan"?

Old 08-14-2019, 11:47 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
If you have 90 grand to blow I'd go with the Land Cruiser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive