Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 11:43 AM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
So you're saying that the best way to think of cars is as an appreciating asset? What percentage of new car-buyers would you guess make money on the car when they sell it as a used car 3, 5, or 10 years later?
I didn't say that. I DID say some cars appreciate appreciably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 12:17 PM

1,069 posts, read 787,368 times
Default Sam used to drive an old beater, he was no loser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep. Then nobody would lend money to college students. They have zero credit history and zero income history. We just lived that with sub-prime mortgages where the Federal government said it was fine to dump mortgages onto Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac where there was no shot that the mortgage wouldn't eventually default. It almost sent us back to the stone age as the financial industry collapsed.

Back on cars....

Buying cars is an ego and emotional thing. Nobody wants to buy a poverty spec base trim level Hyundai Accent since it projects 'loser'.

Sam used to drive an old beater, he was no loser. His truck fit his lifestyle, he was an avid hunter.

I bet you have guessed who Sam is.

https://social.ford.com/en_US/story/...50-custom.html

Old 08-19-2019, 01:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Local lore is that Sam came to my area on his own to scout potential store locations. At the first two real estate offices, the realtors blew him off and assumed he wasn't worth their time when they saw his truck parked in their lot.

He made some very, very nice commissions for the third real estate office, where they took his commercial land purchase interests more seriously.

His Midwest competition Fred (the other Fortune 500 supercenter founder) was more of a minivan guy. I used to live down the street from one of Fred's kids when I was growing up. Fred hated dealing with car salesmen for assorted reasons, and one day Fred's kid called my parents asking if his father could borrow our minivan to go for a test drive. He decided he liked it and sent his personal assistant over to a local dealership to buy one for himself a few days later.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:14 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep. Then nobody would lend money to college students. They have zero credit history and zero income history. We just lived that with sub-prime mortgages where the Federal government said it was fine to dump mortgages onto Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac where there was no shot that the mortgage wouldn't eventually default. It almost sent us back to the stone age as the financial industry collapsed.

Back on cars....

Buying cars is an ego and emotional thing. Nobody wants to buy a poverty spec base trim level Hyundai Accent since it projects 'loser'.
In 2000 I bought a Hyundai Accent, 5 speed. I loved that car. Drove it for 140,000+ miles. Cost me just under $10,000 The smarter thing would to have bought the one remaining 1999 Accent that they wanted $5,000 for. By the end of the weekend that car was gone. I don't care what other people think.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:00 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
According to Suze Orman, lots car buyers are being downright dumb. Suze is a internationally known financial expert who has made a lot of people rich. I'm in her camp on this one because I think 60 plus month car loans are all about learning the hard way.

Here is what Suze has to say about it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/20/suze...heres-why.html
Suze has made HERSELF rich. Not sure about anyone else. I could care less what Suze says about anything financial. I will buy what I want, how I want, whenever I want. I have taken out multiple 60 month car loans over the years and I would do it again if that were the best route for ME. It is absolutely amazing how people can make such generalizations about people's finances when they have never even met them.

I get that simpletons can benefit from Suze and Dave, but........

Old 08-19-2019, 04:15 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Sam used to drive an old beater, he was no loser. His truck fit his lifestyle, he was an avid hunter.

I bet you have guessed who Sam is.

https://social.ford.com/en_US/story/...50-custom.html
Um...Sam didn’t get rich for driving a beat up truck. He got rich because he started Walmart. Of all the successful people who have financed new cars why pick the one guy who preferred old trucks? It has nothing to do with the topic.

If you think there’s a day of reckoning coming when everybody who’s been leasing luxury cars will finally have to face the music, I hate to break it to you, but if it didn’t happen during the Great Recession it’s probably not going to happen.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Suze has made HERSELF rich. Not sure about anyone else. I could care less what Suze says about anything financial. I will buy what I want, how I want, whenever I want. I have taken out multiple 60 month car loans over the years and I would do it again if that were the best route for ME. It is absolutely amazing how people can make such generalizations about people's finances when they have never even met them.

I get that simpletons can benefit from Suze and Dave, but........
Suze provides a way for poor people to be less poor. Rich is a relative term.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:08 PM

Default Rich is a relative term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Suze provides a way for poor people to be less poor. Rich is a relative term.

Rich is a relative term. Thank you, that was gracious of you. Suzy has contributed in her own fashion to her audience of knowledge seekers. So have dozens of other financial experts via books, radio, TV, seminars and websites.

I hope something I have contributed has made someones circumstance a little easier. Think about the times in this life when you wished you (knew that) whatever the question or problem might have been.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Rich is a relative term. Thank you, that was gracious of you. Suzy has contributed in her own fashion to her audience of knowledge seekers. So have dozens of other financial experts via books, radio, TV, seminars and websites.

I hope something I have contributed has made someones circumstance a little easier. Think about the times in this life when you wished you (knew that) whatever the question or problem might have been.
By complaining about how long car loans are?
Living within your means has nothing to do how long your car loan is. The only reason a 6 year car loan would be bad is if the car’s life expectancy is 5 years.
She mentions nothing of total cost of ownership, APR, nor depreciation. Her financial advice is damn near useless.

Never use your own money when somebody else’s money is cheaper. I’d finance a car for 10 years under the right terms and circumstances. Never tell anybody to never lease and never finance for long terms without specific constraints.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:51 PM

Default You are right but there are exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
By complaining about how long car loans are?
Living within your means has nothing to do how long your car loan is. The only reason a 6 year car loan would be bad is if the car’s life expectancy is 5 years.
She mentions nothing of total cost of ownership, APR, nor depreciation. Her financial advice is damn near useless.

Never use your own money when somebody else’s money is cheaper. I’d finance a car for 10 years under the right terms and circumstances. Never tell anybody to never lease and never finance for long terms without specific constraints.

You are right but there are exceptions. I can name at least 6 plant closings in this life which have ended the possible of mortgage or rent payments never mind car payments.

10 million people lost their homes in the recent great recession. 2.5 million lost their businesses. Etc, Etc.

https://www.businessinsider.com/here...are-now-2018-8

Lots of people have not experienced layoffs or business closings. But a car being repossessed is the least of their worries.

Here's to always being able to use someone else's money and every plan working out perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive