Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 04:00 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Why?
Is the name on title Walter White?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 08:09 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Wtf? No. You can’t. It’s called theft. There are legal ways to claim abandoned property or vehicles

And taking over a signed title is in fact one of them. Kind of like cashing a signed check.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:59 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
At some point you might want to ask the local PD to have a drug sniffing dog go through it before you do anything else.
and a cadaver dog!

Old 08-19-2019, 05:15 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimihentt View Post
I didn't say I wanted to Steal it. I want to know if I Can take ownership and How I go about it.
If anyone questions it, say "This is my own private domicile and I will not be harassed!"

https://youtu.be/ClSwEW8DSqQ

Old 08-19-2019, 06:14 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Probably if you take that title to the local DMV office, you can find out exactly what you need to do to get this thing titled in your own name. Might be easier if you can find the current owner of record.

Although, yeah, depending on how handy you are, how much time you have to spend on the project, and the current condition of this rig, it might be more trouble than it's worth.

A note - these things generally have at least 6 tires, you don't want to drive it at anything like highway speeds if the tires are really old, even if they are not worn out, and typically this sort of tire is going to set you back $150 per tire at least to buy new. Good used tires are typically about half of new price. You really do not want to be driving this thing on dodgy tires. I saw a newer motor home on the side of the road, on a 60 MPH highway, with a front tire mostly gone from the wheel. A service guy was just getting started replacing that tire.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:04 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
I remember when I was in high school, back in the 90s, there was a rural spot that handful of people had just 'abandoned' cars at. most were pure junk that i recall, I dont remember anyone ever trying to claim one or fix up to drive though.

Im assuming most probably had good reasons for ditching these cars, upside down on loan, not worth fixing, still has lien, 'other', etc! My exwife went thru something like this with a 96 Dodge Ram, it was a POS with a $8900 lien, but the financial institution insisted they didnt have the loan and know anything about it...in short, the truck sat for close to 15 yrs at a relatives farm, before the DMV removed the lien due to length of time, it was a real hassle and created lots of problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive