Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 08:42 PM

108 posts, read 42,070 times

Advertisements

I am in need of 4 new tires and am curious if anyone knows of some place I am not looking to buy tires? I need 265/70/16's or 265/75/16's I found 2 different tires I like on discounted wheel warehouse but now not sure if I want the AT version or the HT version....we live in North Georgia so gonna have some snow etc..so not sure if that will matter which one I get..like how the AT version look better but HT version has some great reviews. I will call/go by 2 places I get tires at to see what they can do as far as prices but curious if I can find them somewhere else online cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 03:36 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Depends if you can find a good set of used tires esp. if the original owner got rid of the low mileage OEM stock tires for aftermarket ones anyways OP goodluck.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:15 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Walmart, Tire Rack, Discount Tire, Simple Tire, Ebay...

Old 08-20-2019, 10:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Get them used.

Hankook Dynapro is one of the better performing low end light truck tires IMO. Find some with 60 to 75% tread and they should be about $200 - $300 installed and out the door for all 4. It takes a lot of phone calls to find a set.

Watch out for those crappy tires that come stock on the RAM trucks (Goodyear Wrangler - forget the model). There are a lot of them around used but nearly new, because so many people get rid of them almost immediately after buying the truck. Sometimes they dump them the same day the get the truck. So while you may find some with almost no miles on them, there is a reason they are so abundant in the used tire market. People who know about them, want to get rid of them. they are bad tires on or off road, bad in snow, rain, dry, not very quiet, do not hold up well (especially the sidewalls). Of course you will get a number of people claiming they were the best tires ever and lasted 280,000 miles without needing rotation or added air and the diamonds fell out of the treads and made them rich and. . . But do your research. Also look at how many are available used.

The tires you want to buy used are not the ones readily available, but the ones people tend to keep because they are great tires. They pop up occasionally because someone got a set at a junkyard or because someone upgraded to a specialty tire. that is what you want to find.

Also with used tires, watch the age. Even with good tread showing, a tire that is more than 7 years old it probably at the end of its life as a safe tire. They can last a lto longer than 7 years and I have had some much older than that, but 7 is a good rule of thumb.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:09 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
You can get really good deals on used tires if you shop around........carefully inspect what they
are trying to sell you.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:33 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
1. craigslist
2. Offerup
3. tire places around salvage yards. they also have rims and mount/balance for very inexpensive cost.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:08 PM

408 posts, read 259,759 times
Most people have Suburbans to haul their family around. If this is the case, I would hope that you are looking for a good value on good tires. I would not consider "used tires" as a good value when it comes to my family.

If you are not using the Suburban as a people hauler, then you might consider used tires, but that would not be my first, second, or third choice. You can not "inspect" used tires and observe internal damage.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:40 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
... with used tires, watch the age. Even with good tread showing, a tire that is more than 7 years old it probably at the end of its life as a safe tire. They can last a lto longer than 7 years and I have had some much older than that, but 7 is a good rule of thumb.
Past a certain age, you can also have trouble just getting one serviced. My wife drives her car 500-700 miles per year. I think she bought it a year old with 40K miles on it 21 years ago. It had new tires. It now has around 70K miles on it.

We did drive it from Oregon to Wyoming, and we drove it to Iowa once and a couple times on 300 mile "local" trips, but all that was 10-15 years ago. She now drives it a few blocks to work and back 3-4 days per week. One of her tires got a slow leak in it last year. I aired it up from our garage every couple months, but then it became monthly, then every couple weeks. Dang! I had to get new tires because the tire dealer wouldn't work on it.

I could have done the work myself easily enough, but I figured it was time. Her top speed is 35 mph so I'm not worried about the tires getting hot and exploding, but this way we can take it out on the highway if need be. In fact, I got the new tires when my car was going to be in the shop for a few days, so I was able to "safely" drive hers on the interstate while mine was in the shop.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:01 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Ive bought a set of used tires online before and they were very good tires. I assumed the shipping was going to be expensive, but many online used tire places offer free shipping (surprisingly). the tires came individually wrapped in plastic.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:17 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET14 View Post
I am in need of 4 new tires
There are multiple posts here on tires.

You don't want cheap tires. You want quality tires. Skip all of the cheap China tires. Yes, some will post that China tires are great.

Cooper tires and Mastercraft tires are made in USA. As are some other name brands.

You can purchase tires online or at a shop. Your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive