Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 12:26 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,280,258 times

Advertisements

The keyless push button vehicles with fobs are very vulnerable to theft! The fobs transmit a signal 24 hours a day, so that you don't have to push a button to unlock your vehicle doors, you only have to walk near your vehicle to unlock the doors. The serious problem is that signal that is transmitted from the fob can be received up to 300 feet away by criminals. The criminals can then clone your fob in two minutes. The criminals return to your vehicle, use their cloned fob to unlock the vehicle doors, then push the start button, and steal your vehicle. The vehicles end up in shipping containers and are shipped overseas by organized criminals.

It's absolutely irresponsible for automobile manufactures to not immediately fix this very serious problem with push button start vehicles! You can get a faraday case for about $12, which blocks the radio frequency signal from the fob. Then when you put the fob in the faraday case, the criminals cannot receive your fob's transmitted signal, cannot clone your fob, and cannot steal your vehicle.

This video clearly explains the serious security vulnerability with keyless ignition systems, and fobs that transmit 24 hours a day. It is not a marketing video to sell any particular product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tQV...ature=youtu.be

Has anyone heard about this serious problem with keyless ignition vehicles? Is there a solution, other than using the faraday case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 03:07 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,008,003 times
Don't think that this happens?

Here in rural hill and mountain country. Small rural city. In the mountains. A nice newer SUV was stolen. 7 years ago.
Insurance paid person and they got replacement.

In newspaper recently. That 7 year old SUV was found in the country of Poland. The stated reason found is that it was in an accident. And Europol (or some such other agency) ran the VIN number.

Old 11-18-2020, 04:13 PM

4,218 posts, read 3,768,767 times
And here i am...leaving my f150 running with the key fob in the truck and it locked the doors. Lucky the windows were down, but I will not leave my key fob in the truck at all anymore because of that.

Old 11-18-2020, 04:31 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,409,012 times
I have a car that has a fob and push button start. I would rather have a real brass key if given the choice. From what I've read on different forums, I am in the huge minority.

People say they love how they don't have to take their keys out of their pocket. Like that's some huge ordeal. I don't get it.

I also don't get how many people "need to have" automatic opening and closing tail gates or side doors or electronic 9 function tailgates or whatever. I hate those dumb things. I'd rather be able to close the door or tailgate my self, instead of having to stand there for 30 seconds while the motors do it for me.

Whatever. Sorry I felt the need to vent a little. I feel better now. I'll feel even better though if some day they start making cars with old-school brass keys again. Ah, who am I kidding? Sticking a key in a slot and turning it is a lot of work. People aren't going to want to go back to that.

Someday people won't be able to drive cars that use real keys, just like they can't drive a manual transmission. It will be a foreign concept that won't make any sense to people. They also probably won't be able to figure out what to do if their rear hatch doesn't automatically close on it's own .

God help us!

Old 11-18-2020, 05:06 PM

17,332 posts, read 12,283,884 times
This does not appear to be an issue. 90s/early 00s vehicles are still the most stolen.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:25 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,443,112 times
And most newer cars have ways to locate them if they are stolen. If someone were to take my car, I can see on an app exactly where it is. One of the reasons newer cars are actually stolen less.

BTW, this method of stealing cars is not new. Remember when they started coming out with the fobs that just unlocked/locked the car (but you still had real keys)? Folks used to sit in cars, intercept your signal when you locked your car, waited for you to walk into the store, then steal your car.

Old 11-18-2020, 06:30 PM

19,073 posts, read 27,655,039 times
Yes, they are. It is a flourishing business in Europe. Tech, developed for this, is amazing.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:28 PM

2,025 posts, read 1,746,077 times
On our two Hyundai SUVs I can lock the doors 3 different ways. # 1, press the button on the key fob, # 2 press the lock button on the outside door handle, # 3 press the lock button on the inside door rest before slamming the door. I think # 2 and # 3 don't use any radio signals.
If you are really paranoid disconnect the battery negative cable, install a steering wheel lock, and leave two Dobermans inside with a window cracked for fresh air. In some European countries thieves grab cars using a crane and a flatbed truck while you watch in the comfort of an overpriced restaurant. Your classic Yugo won't be 100% safe no matter what you do.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:10 PM

19 posts, read 16,293 times
I Am Old School in that I like Manual Roll Up Windows
Ignition Points and Basic Automotive Technology
Things That You Can Fix On The Side Of The Road
People Today Are Too Lazy. The Younger People
Have Been Spoiled With All This App For This And App
For That Crap.
How About the (OLD SCHOOL)
Steering Wheel Lock That You Put On Your Steering Wheel
The Bar Expands Across The Steering Wheel and Locks!
If You Don't Have The Key To Un Lock The Bar
You Can't Drive The Car Away.
Start Your Car In The Morning, Pull It Out Of Garage
Put Your Lock On And Go Inside Finish Your Coffee
PP Or What Ever. Simple............... Wait For It.
Wait for it! O YOU CAN CUT THE WHEEL BAR
WITH A HACK SAW.......Yes You Can! But How Long Does
That Take! Nothing Is Impossible To Defeat But Their are
Basic Common Sense Simple Ways Around The Hackers
It's Called Old School. AKA Common Sense.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:24 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,247,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
BTW, this method of stealing cars is not new. Remember when they started coming out with the fobs that just unlocked/locked the car (but you still had real keys)? Folks used to sit in cars, intercept your signal when you locked your car, waited for you to walk into the store, then steal your car.
They could enter the car that way without a key, but then how do they bypass the ignition lock if it needs a physical key, and the driver has the key with them? Break the steering wheel lock and hotwire it? If someone is going to have to break the ignition lock, wouldn't it be just as easy to break a window to enter the vehicle instead of bothering with capturing the code?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive