Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 11:01 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times

Advertisements

The one that once told me to run premium gas, in my diesel truck, to get better mileage. Fortunately, I wasn't dealing with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 12:07 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
I don't understand why anybody would expect a salesman to be something other than a useless grifter.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:13 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Haha, it wasn't a car salesman, but one Monday my daily driver wouldn't start, so I drove my drag Mustang to work and hadn't pulled the drag slicks off from racing on Sunday......so I drove it to work with the M & H dragster slicks still on it. I came around a corner and there was a cop car there, and they pulled me over. (maybe open headers didn't help either)

As they were looking at my car, one cop said "And look how bald those tires are !" The other cop gave him a look as if to say " what a dumba**" and said "Those are racing tires !"

The other cop just said "Oh" and shut up.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:17 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
One thing that's stuck in my head for near 50 years, I was in a showroom looking at a '70 Camaro. When the salesman came over I asked if 4 wheel discs were still available? He quickly told me they'd never been available on Camaros. I guess my friend with a stock '69 Z-28 with 4 wheel discs must have had a real rarity in his garage.
To be fair, yes, that package was an extremely rare and mostly unknown option.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:29 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Don’t remember the exact details, but a salesman at a Honda dealer was going on about some particular function of the vehicle and it was obvious he was clueless. I let him babble for a while then interrupted him and said, “um, that’s not how that works at all. How do I know this? I’ve worked at Honda for almost 30 years and know exactly how it goes together and whyâ€. Needless to say, that was the end of the discussion. Bought the Pilot though!

Old 08-24-2019, 08:54 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times
Frankly, I don't care what a salesman knows about a vehicle I'm interested in. I would already have done my research and would simply want to know the "out the door" price."

Makes life simpler that way.

Rich

Old 08-25-2019, 01:52 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I don't understand why anybody would expect a salesman to be something other than a useless grifter.
Uh, because there are good dealerships with good, well informed salespeople who have been very successful in the business for decades and thrive on repeat business from very satisfied customers, their families, friends and referrals. You just need to know where to find them.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:20 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:

Hope springs eternal!

Old 08-25-2019, 06:26 AM

224 posts, read 228,959 times
I don't discuss car features with salesmen...If they attempt to do so, the conversation becomes completely one-sided until I start talking numbers.

No use correcting them either...I already know what I want and what I don't before even stepping foot on the lot (other than the more subjective things I can't research ahead of time such as ergonomics and my own perception of a car's driveability, none of which requires external "help"), what I'm willing to spend and what I'm not, and any ignorance on their part about what I may or may not purchase won't mean a hill of beans moving forward the moment we step back inside the showroom.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:39 AM

382 posts, read 513,444 times
Quote:

Especially those that sell services, or even worse, property they have no chain of ownership to (realtors and the like).

You should never count on any salesman for anything other than to try to take your money. The rest of the due diligence is on you no matter what you're buying.

This is one of the fundamental reasons that internet shopping is killing most brick and mortar stores. You can do your own research and find the best prices yourself and then just make the purchase. I mean, when was the last time you really needed an electronics salesman? The only thing they do now is usually unlock it from whatever security system is in place in the store and take it up to the register for you... Amazon can take it all the way to my door for me.

Anyhow, I've known a few people who have bought vehicles like that too. Just figure out exactly what it is you want, call/email the dealers for their best, first-chance-only price, and then buy from the lowest guy. It saves a horrific amount of work. I admit that the people I've known that have done that also have their own financing lined up already, or are paying cash, and don't do trade-ins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive