Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 09:32 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times

Advertisements

My Chrysler minivan has this feature on both front windows (not the second row windows). It's convenient, except when I only want to crack the window and it keeps going all the way down. Takes a bit of practice to master tapping the switch just enough. Recently I discovered that tapping the switch a second time stops the window. That solves it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 10:20 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Because I invariably activate it even though I NEVER want to and it invariably rolls down farther than I wanted, so it actually requires MORE effort to then roll it back up again to where I wanted it.

Oh my gosh....holding the button down for 3-4 seconds if you want it to go down all the way is SUCH a hassle.
You know, you can just pull up on the button and it should stop.

It's no hassle either way. I don't pick a car based on this feature. Nor do I get upset over it.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:43 AM

758 posts, read 551,024 times
Quote:
Because I invariably activate it even though I NEVER want to and it invariably rolls down farther than I wanted, so it actually requires MORE effort to then roll it back up again to where I wanted it.

Oh my gosh....holding the button down for 3-4 seconds if you want it to go down all the way is SUCH a hassle.
For me its a matter of safety. As I approach the 20 lane tollboth, just one push pulls the driver window all the way down. Pay my toll. Then, as I exit into the short 20 lanes merge down to six while cars accelerate to get up to speed, instead of trying to get the window up while I watch right and left and front and back to see who's going too fast and will overtake me before I merge and who's going so slow I or other traffic may rear-end them, all while rolling up the window so I don't get a blast of eye-watering exhaust from the truck two lanes over--yeah, it's nice (and safer) to be able to give one flick, the window rolls all the way up, and I can concentrate on navigating the massive merge.

Obviously, YMMV.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,577 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfreegroup View Post
Depending on how your car is equipped, you may have an auto up/down feature on the driver window, or both the driver and front passenger windows
I have auto up and down on both front windows on my F150, and I love it. No 3 seconds, just one quick press and down or up they go. If you want to stop it part way just bump the switch again. Most people never open them except at the drive-up window and then it's all the way down.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:31 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
You know, you can just pull up on the button and it should stop.

It's no hassle either way. I don't pick a car based on this feature. Nor do I get upset over it.
The hassle is when pushing the button sends the window all of the way down. Then, pulling the button sends it all of the way up. Down, up. Down, up. With considerable patience and finesse, one is able to finagle the button just-so, that the window comes to rest near to the desired position... but that's only an approximation.

There's a simple solution to this dilemma: roll-up windows. You know, those with a scissor-mechanism in the door, with a gear and a crank-handle. The kind that work even when the engine is off, even when the battery is dead. The kind that allow precise control of where the window ends up. The kind that don't require wires to pass through the door hinge-line. Good luck finding a modern vehicle so-equipped... at any price.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:50 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
I've never understood this feature, and have always hated it passionately. Why do driver's windows automatically go all the way down if you depress the switch too far?
I hate the auto down thing as well. it is annoying Mod cut.!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-27-2019 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:32 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Its a safety feature, It would make getting out of a wrecked or submerged car much quicker.

So why wouldn't it be on all windows? Are the passengers not as important?

Mine is driver side only, up and down. It is very sensitive and can be hard as heck to get it to stop at a point between fully up or fully down.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
It SHOULD be something that is configurable in the BCM but alas, the windows are limited to which switches have the detent midway through. Partial press = momentary motion, full press = auto down.

My Chevy Volt has auto-down for each window (with the driver window also having auto-up). My Range Rover has auto up / auto down for all windows. Surprisingly the auto feature is only accessible from the driver’s seat. While I can “auto-down” anyone’s window, you may not auto-down your own window from any other seat.

Strange, because I can press-and-hold my unlock button on my remote and all 4 windows roll down. Even when I release the unlock button midway through their travel.

Perhaps the worst part of this feature is the inconsistency and lack of configurability.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Every "convenience" feature seems to be an inconvenience to somebody else. There's not way to win this battle. Heck, people still wish for the manual transmission because they don't want the computer to change gears.

There absolutely is a way to win this battle on newer cars. Make it a configurable option. Your cellphone probably has a hundred configurable options in settings. Why is this such a hard thing to do with a $20k - $50k car?

Old 08-26-2019, 01:35 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
There absolutely is a way to win this battle on newer cars. Make it a configurable option. Your cellphone probably has a hundred configurable options in settings. Why is this such a hard thing to do with a $20k - $50k car?
Another option is make it 2 touch down instead of one. If you want it to go down all the way, just press a second time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive