Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 04:28 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
For me its a matter of safety. As I approach the 20 lane tollboth, just one push pulls the driver window all the way down. Pay my toll. Then, as I exit into the short 20 lanes merge down to six while cars accelerate to get up to speed, instead of trying to get the window up while I watch right and left and front and back to see who's going too fast and will overtake me before I merge and who's going so slow I or other traffic may rear-end them, all while rolling up the window so I don't get a blast of eye-watering exhaust from the truck two lanes over--yeah, it's nice (and safer) to be able to give one flick, the window rolls all the way up, and I can concentrate on navigating the massive merge.

Obviously, YMMV.

Safety would be coming to a stop and rolling your window down and rolling it up before you proceed. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-27-2019 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: Rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 04:30 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Another option is make it 2 touch down instead of one. If you want it to go down all the way, just press a second time.

Oh no, that would be far too much trouble.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:15 PM

408 posts, read 259,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
There absolutely is a way to win this battle on newer cars. Make it a configurable option. Your cellphone probably has a hundred configurable options in settings. Why is this such a hard thing to do with a $20k - $50k car?
You, sir, should win a prize. Want your windows automatic, want your doors to auto lock when you start moving, want to turn on/off the HUD display that all cars should have, want a light/heavy throttle, want to configure your dash. All of this and much more should be configurable.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:27 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
The best ones have two steps: the initial press just works the regular way, and if you press harder, you feel a tactile bump and the switch then activates the continuous lower/raise mode. In some cars, they don't bother with this two-level switch for some reason.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:37 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
It can be annoying at times (I have auto up and auto down for the drivers and front passenger windows). Literally, if I press the down button for more than a millisecond, it goes into auto down mode; however, I can simply press the up button to stop the auto mode. Most of the times I'm rolling the windows all the way down or up so it comes in handy that way.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:56 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I've never understood this feature, and have always hated it passionately. Why do driver's windows automatically go all the way down if you depress the switch too far?
You prefer a manual turn signal where you click the stalk up and down to make the light blink......auto-down/up is for toll booths and general convenience. Most cars have it.

Seriously

Old 08-27-2019, 08:59 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
I also hate having it go all the way down with one push. On mine, I can sometimes get it to stop partway by giving the button a very quick press.

And if I want to open a window without needing power on at all, I can open the truck cab’s slider instead. Comes in handy for letting some air in/out when the truck is parked, and the topper in back makes the window inaccessible for an intruder to push fully open.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:00 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Another option is make it 2 touch down instead of one. If you want it to go down all the way, just press a second time.
That's how it works as is.

You press down (and hold) to roll the window down manually.
You press down harder to auto roll the window down entirely. That is your second press.

There's two detents on the switch. They give mechanically feedback. You can sit there for five seconds and figure out how to operate a switch and then you know how to operate the switch. From there it just becomes muscle memory. Within a few days or weeks your brain just figures out how to properly operate the switch and you don't even need to think about it. If you want it down all the way, press harder to get through the second detent. If you don't, don't press harder and don't. It's not rocket science or anything so all the people who spend years cursing the switch rather than just spending five seconds to figure out how it works kind of amaze me.

That said, there are a lot of them who can't operate a window switch for whatever reason so particularly on higher end cars the switch should be either tied into the infotainment to disable auto up/down or just a lockout toggle on the door panel. Neither are really great options. The lockout toggle is probably cheaper but adds clutter. The infotainment more expensive and would probably require a trip to the dealership for most people who can't operate a window switch.

Last edited by Malloric; 08-27-2019 at 09:08 AM..

Old 08-27-2019, 09:13 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That's how it works as is.

You press down (and hold) to roll the window down manually.
You press down harder to auto roll the window down entirely. That is your second press.

There's two detents on the switch. They give mechanically feedback. You can sit there for five seconds and figure out how to operate a switch and then you know how to operate the switch. From there it just becomes muscle memory. Within a few days or weeks your brain just figures out how to properly operate the switch and you don't even need to think about it. If you want it down all the way, press harder to get through the second detent. If you don't, don't press harder and don't. It's not rocket science or anything so all the people who spend years cursing the switch rather than just spending five seconds to figure out how it works kind of amaze me.

That said, there are a lot of them who can't operate a window switch for whatever reason so particularly on higher end cars the switch should be either tied into the infotainment to disable auto up/down or just a lockout toggle on the door panel. Neither are really great options. The lockout toggle is probably cheaper but adds clutter. The infotainment more expensive and would probably require a trip to the dealership for most people who can't operate a window switch.

Maybe for your car. Based on accounts here, it works differently for different cars.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:33 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I love it-don't have to keep my hand off the wheel waiting for the window to open or close. Especially nice when pulling up to the mailbox.
Also nice when getting into a hot car.

I saw ads for a car (VW?) that would open all the windows if you turned the key in the lock a certain way. That was cool, but who puts the key in the lock anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive