Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 08:14 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,288 times

Advertisements

The CE light goes away by itself does that mean it is clear to pass inspection? The light came on for a few days, vehicle drove fine the whole time and then at some point the light went away. This morning marks the third day since the light shut off. I am not sure exactly when the light turned off but it was sometime Monday and today is Thursday. Driven about 120 miles since Tuesday morning. I have a code reader and I know the codes will still be around just curious if the fact that the light shut off on it's own means it completed a full cycle.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 09:49 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
I'm not a mechanic.

But I put some of that cheap, low octane gasoline in my car once and got a code in return. My car is supposed to be okay to use it, but the dealer said he didn't recommend it. I don't know if it's the high elevation or what, but the light came on right away and wouldn't go away. Every time I had enough fuel burned to add a couple gallons of high octane I did, but I think I drove it about 300 miles before the light went away. That was probably 100K miles ago and it's never come back.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:51 AM

17,581 posts, read 15,254,427 times
There'll be a history code.. And possibly a pending code set.

It will depend on the state, what the code is, what the code status is and the person running the test, as to whether it will pass inspection.

If it's a historical code, you likely pass, because they'll likely assume you had it fixed and just didn't clear the codes. If it's pending.. Less likely to pass. Again, pending on what the code is.

But, yes, the fact that the light has turned off means that it has passed the test. it could have been something as simple as you not fully tightening the gas cap, causing an EVAP leak to be detected.

Or.. the light has burned out.. But that's pretty unlikely.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:52 AM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
On and off CEL means you have a sensor or component next to fail permanently. It simply gives you warning fleshes.

Catch CEL and read code as, if you chance it during inspection, it is destined to come up right there at the least appropriate moment.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the responses it helps clarify some things.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:04 AM

17,581 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
On and off CEL means you have a sensor or component next to fail permanently. It simply gives you warning fleshes.

Catch CEL and read code as, if you chance it during inspection, it is destined to come up right there at the least appropriate moment.

Flashing, on every car that I have dealt with means that you have an active misfire on one or more cylinders. It means that you need to stop driving as quickly as possible, because you're dumping unburned fuel into your CAT.. Which is generally a $1000 repair if it is damaged. Much more if you're in CA or NY or ME.

They're not describing, at least I don't think, flashing.. It turned off. which means the trouble condition detected is no longer detected. Why? Impossible to say without knowing the code and going under the hood to find out, and that's not worth doing after it lit once and went away. It could be anything from a loose gas cap to bad fuel or green crusties in the fusebox to a mouse that gnawed on some wiring that is now intermittently making connection.

If it happens again.. yeah.. Need to find out why.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:13 AM

858 posts, read 681,295 times
When the light goes out by itself, it means the bulb is burnt!

Old 08-29-2019, 10:22 AM

Exactly what I was talking about. Its not misfiring and like you said, the code went away which is why I haven't busted out the reader and checked it. I was just curious if the light shutting off meant the system underwent a full cycle because I know I won't pass inspection if it hasn't. Anyway I am going tonight or tomorrow and will try to update what I find out in case anyone is curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Flashing, on every car that I have dealt with means that you have an active misfire on one or more cylinders. It means that you need to stop driving as quickly as possible, because you're dumping unburned fuel into your CAT.. Which is generally a $1000 repair if it is damaged. Much more if you're in CA or NY or ME.

They're not describing, at least I don't think, flashing.. It turned off. which means the trouble condition detected is no longer detected. Why? Impossible to say without knowing the code and going under the hood to find out, and that's not worth doing after it lit once and went away. It could be anything from a loose gas cap to bad fuel or green crusties in the fusebox to a mouse that gnawed on some wiring that is now intermittently making connection.

If it happens again.. yeah.. Need to find out why.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:25 AM

Ha. I remember an old episode of the Simpsons where Homer's check engine light went on and he said "oh, the tape must have fallen off" he put another piece of tape over the light "Problem solved" a moment later the car burst into smoke and broke down.

The light does come on with all the other indicators while starting the vehicle so I assume it is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
When the light goes out by itself, it means the bulb is burnt!

Old 08-29-2019, 11:11 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
My son in law has an older car that had a CEL for about 5 years. He lives in a state that requires emissions testing to register. Every spring, the light would go out and stay out for most of the summer, then come back on in the fall. So he'd bring it in for inspection in the spring, and it always passed. He had the code read, and it indicated a bad O2 sensor or bad cat. Of course, all the mechanics wanted to replace the cat, for $$$!

Last I heard, it was still passing emissions testing, despite a bad cat in the winter only!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive