Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2019, 04:44 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times

Advertisements

After learning of Jessi Combs death, I read her bio and found out she attended Wyo tech for a degree in custom car building/fabrication. Ive heard of this place before, but went to their website and learned more about the school...

They are unlike any trade school Ive heard of, they supply EVERYTHING, tools, uniforms, even housing, right on the campus! They are more like dorms but its right next to the school. I was impressed that they have a 5 to 1 teacher/student ratio! ( I cannot think of any school that even comes close to that!)

Im just curious if anyone has went there or know someone who has, they seem to be one of the only schools that offer this kind of training, and many of their graduates go on to work for Racing teams, custom car makers, etc. This is something I wish I had looked into earlier in life, its VERY expensive to attend though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 06:29 PM

382 posts, read 512,879 times
I know people who have been there (and other automotive trade schools) and the general consensus I've gotten is that they are FAR too expensive these days to bother with. You're better off to try to get a low rung position at a shop and work/learn your way up.

I also put it out there that there are mechanical engineering technology programs that will teach you things about machining, manufacturing, design, etc, etc, that are also highly applicable to careers in automotive (and including racing, I've worked with guys that went on to Formula 1 teams) without pigeon-holing you into a career in the shop or only in automotive.

If you want to see more of what you can do with a good hands-on engineering background, go check out Casey Putsch on YouTube (he also takes, and answers, viewer mail about education).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive