Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 11:32 AM

1,069 posts, read 784,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Got a link? I've seen those before but don't know where to get one.

Here's a bunch of vendors on EBay that sell them. The mirrors with the wings are the best for the job. However if you and your passenger use the sun-visors regularly the side mirror hinges will get loosened from being swatted regularly. The fix is easy a dab of epoxy on the loosened hinge and your good for years. Best money you ever spent. Drive safe.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_n...72.m2749.l2658
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 03:02 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Yes, nice list.............but 0.00000001% of Driver's do even half of them.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:39 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
I do need to slow it down on the road, especially as my speeding (I'll generally drive between 10-15 MPH over the limit) only saves me a few minutes. That said, sometimes driving at the speed limit is dangerous as cars going over and weaving in and out of traffic to get around you. In such cases, I will keep up with traffic.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:14 PM

Default More technology out there then you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yes, nice list.............but 0.00000001% of Driver's do even half of them.

Technology is becoming much more prevalent then you may think. Two generations now have been introduced to computers at the young age of 5 years or less. That means at the age of receiving their drivers license most of the younger generation have experienced years of role playing driving games. (Which has it's pro's and Con's and worth a debate on it's own.)

The way I see it. Expecting your guidance to come from a machine without a rudimentary technological understanding of its workings and limitations puts you at a real disadvantage in life.

Technology is moving forward whether we like it or not. The few supplementary tools I mentioned are just the beginning.

Complete disregard for safety is the enemy here. Cars are being sold with a belief that autonomous systems are infallible. Although experience teaches us otherwise, for some it the hard lesson is yet to be learned. Check out the link pointing to the new autonomous believers.

https://www.carprousa.com/Are-We-Dri...ter-Cars/a/956

My use of these new technical devices keeps the automatic stuff in the supplementary tool department. As an example life is made easier by the use of a backup camera but I'll never stop using my mirrors because I have a backup cam. I have seen lots of automated high speed equipment fail and prove again and again you better be paying attention when a failure happens.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:44 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,754,982 times
If you want to improve your driving, hang up and drive. Wear your seatbelt. Plan ahead, your eyes should be looking ahead. Check your mirrors frequently to see what is approaching from the rear.

Drive according to the road conditions. Do not over drive roads. Along those lines, no cruise control on icy or snowy roads.

Take care of your vehicle. Good tires and good brakes are importation. Suspension and steering components are also paramount to safe driving.

Keep your mind in the game and eyes on the road.

Many of the crashes that are fatal or involve serious injury often have factors such as alcohol or drugs in the driver’s system. The other factor is lack of seatbelt usage. In my state most of the fatal crashes are single vehicle rollovers with ejection due to lack of seatbelt use.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:47 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,415,447 times
STOP CELL phone use by drivers......

Old 08-31-2019, 06:16 PM

Default Your response is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
If you want to improve your driving, hang up and drive. Wear your seatbelt. Plan ahead, your eyes should be looking ahead. Check your mirrors frequently to see what is approaching from the rear.

Drive according to the road conditions. Do not over drive roads. Along those lines, no cruise control on icy or snowy roads.

Take care of your vehicle. Good tires and good brakes are importation. Suspension and steering components are also paramount to safe driving.

Keep your mind in the game and eyes on the road.

Many of the crashes that are fatal or involve serious injury often have factors such as alcohol or drugs in the driver’s system. The other factor is lack of seatbelt usage. In my state most of the fatal crashes are single vehicle rollovers with ejection due to lack of seatbelt use.

Your response could be the perfect phone message preceding any Robo call, or TV emergency broadcast delivered subliminally. Think of the numbers which would be forced to get such an important message.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:19 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Driving while tired is also a big problem today, which I know all too well about! short version, I didnt get enough sleep the night before and was driving the expressway, nodded out for half a second and I had swerved almost into another lane...where a semi truck was driving right beside me!!! I got off the expressway immediately after this happened and took the 2 lane roads home, I was doing all I could to not doze out again (its really hard to do when you are super tired, you would be surprised!)

Old 09-01-2019, 06:31 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,204,551 times
Number 3 is incomplete. Shoud be "By not speeding past the flow of traffic". If all cars were going the same speed, there would almost no accidents.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:34 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Back in the day, the drivers manual suggested to be a " Defensive " driver

In today's world and with vehicles having so many creature comforts allowing
drivers to do more then paying attention, I've found being a " Offensive " driver
has saved my skin and fenders more then being a victim of circumstances from distracted
drivers

Great Post, thanks for taking the time to share
You would be driving “defensively” in your above situation. You are anticipating those distracted drivers aren’t paying attention and adjusting your driving accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive