Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 06:42 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,688,144 times

Advertisements

Here in SW Florida, there are nails and screws on the roads fairly often, because the construction guys drop this stuff off of their trucks. During the recession, when there was no construction going on, I rarely picked up a nail, but now I get one about every 3-6 months or so.

I haven't had the spare out of my car ever, I just carry a couple of cans of Fix a flat. Then, I plug it with my tire plugging tool later on. The tire repair guys hate Fix a flat, it floods out of the tire when they dismount it, but it really saves you when sitting alongside the road. I always warn the tire guy that I have used it so he can be prepared for it to run all over the place when he breaks the bead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 06:47 PM

12,046 posts, read 10,170,810 times
yes

Old 09-05-2019, 06:50 PM

7,048 posts, read 9,008,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Would you feel comfortable taking a 6-8hr road trip with no spare tire or would you just put a spare donut in the trunk from a junk yard for a long road trip?

Oh, heck no. Full size spare, hydraulic jack and a complete tool kit with every tool necessary for any conceivable repair that can be reasonably accomplished away from a garage, and even some spares of common failure items (fuses, headlights, hoses, belts, etc.). I also have AAA.

Have I ever needed any of these things? You bet your bippy I have- blowouts, flats, blown radiators and hoses, stuck thermostats (which can result in the preceding two events), blown tranny lines, blown wheel cylinders and brake lines, starter failures, alternator failures, and more. Having these things and knowing how to use them has saved me a great deal of time and money on a number of occasions. Things that would be a major disaster for some are merely an inconvenience for me.

I once had an alternator fail on a Friday afternoon on I-61 in VA, 800 miles from home and 80 miles from the nearest town big enough to have a parts store. It took about 3 hours for the tow service to get a wrecker to me, the driver towed me directly to the parts store (after calling to verify that they had my alternator in stock), $60 for a new alternator and 20 minutes later I was back on the road. Sure, I was a few hours behind schedule...but what would have happened if I wasn't prepared with the tools and knowledge? I probably would have been stuck until Monday or Tuesday, with motel charges and a hefty repair bill. No, thanks, I'll go on being prepared and let others empty their wallets when they are stuck paying whatever rates someone will rip them for because they're over a barrel and have no other choice.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:54 PM

3,027 posts, read 7,885,628 times
question kind of funny for me,my 99 Tacoma SR5 now has 209,000 miles on it and original rear shoes and spare has never been used.
Because of health we had to unfortunately give up North Florida after over 25 years and now live in the regressive state of CT and have only driven 3500 miles since 2015.We lived in Colorado from 71 till 1988.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:39 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,380,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Here in SW Florida, there are nails and screws on the roads fairly often, because the construction guys drop this stuff off of their trucks. During the recession, when there was no construction going on, I rarely picked up a nail, but now I get one about every 3-6 months or so.

I haven't had the spare out of my car ever, I just carry a couple of cans of Fix a flat. Then, I plug it with my tire plugging tool later on. The tire repair guys hate Fix a flat, it floods out of the tire when they dismount it, but it really saves you when sitting alongside the road. I always warn the tire guy that I have used it so he can be prepared for it to run all over the place when he breaks the bead.
Fix a flat dont work on blow outs..

Old 09-05-2019, 08:46 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,217,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Many newer cars seem to be losing the spare tire in the trunk, especially hybrids, since the battery is in the trunk already.

Would you feel comfortable taking a 6-8hr road trip with no spare tire or would you just put a spare donut in the trunk from a junk yard for a long road trip?

Would no spare stop you from buying that car at all?
A long trip with no spare? Not a chance!

Old 09-05-2019, 09:10 PM

494 posts, read 281,426 times
I bought a car once without a spare and didn't even realize they don't give people spares anymore. I just assumed it was in the car until a conversation came up about it. I also have roadside assistance and was told if I didn't have a spare they would drop me off at the nearest garage and I'd have to buy a tire, etc. and deal with the garage on my own. If I did have a spare, they said they would change the tire, and I would be on my way. Life's a lot easier with a spare tire in the trunk, especially if you're on a road trip.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:12 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Do it all the time.
I'm not changing a tire on the highway anyway. People get killed doing that stuff.
This is what roadside assistance is for.
how is roadside assistance gonna help if you don't have a spare to change out your flat?

Old 09-05-2019, 09:13 PM

8,076 posts, read 6,833,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Oh, heck no. Full size spare, hydraulic jack and a complete tool kit with every tool necessary for any conceivable repair that can be reasonably accomplished away from a garage, and even some spares of common failure items (fuses, headlights, hoses, belts, etc.). I also have AAA.

Have I ever needed any of these things? You bet your bippy I have- blowouts, flats, blown radiators and hoses, stuck thermostats (which can result in the preceding two events), blown tranny lines, blown wheel cylinders and brake lines, starter failures, alternator failures, and more. Having these things and knowing how to use them has saved me a great deal of time and money on a number of occasions. Things that would be a major disaster for some are merely an inconvenience for me.

I once had an alternator fail on a Friday afternoon on I-61 in VA, 800 miles from home and 80 miles from the nearest town big enough to have a parts store. It took about 3 hours for the tow service to get a wrecker to me, the driver towed me directly to the parts store (after calling to verify that they had my alternator in stock), $60 for a new alternator and 20 minutes later I was back on the road. Sure, I was a few hours behind schedule...but what would have happened if I wasn't prepared with the tools and knowledge? I probably would have been stuck until Monday or Tuesday, with motel charges and a hefty repair bill. No, thanks, I'll go on being prepared and let others empty their wallets when they are stuck paying whatever rates someone will rip them for because they're over a barrel and have no other choice.
Zymer is my kinda person.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:20 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Plugs won't work with sidewall punctures.

Granted, rare, but they can happen.
I have had two sidewall punctures in the last 3 years. Damn glad I had a spare...……...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive