Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 03:08 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Yes, many new vehicles still come with a spare. My one year old CR-V has one.

I don't really get what the big deal is though. These days you are just as likely to get a flat tire as you are to have some other type of break down. In addition to a spare tire we should probably also carry things like a spare cvt transmission, spare computer, and a spare timing belt and head and valve train and gaskets to go with it..

For those who are afraid of getting stranded in the middle of nowhere with no cell service, I'd be willing to bet that if you were in a situation like that, you could still make it to anywhere you needed to go if you had to. A toasted rim isn't the end of the world.

Although a flat tire is very rare for many of us, a blown transmission in the middle of no where is more rare, as a snapped timing belt and the computer on the car shorting out 500 miles from home. Considering all the debris in the roads, items falling off trucks, pot holes, a flat tire is a much more likelihood than a mechanical breakdown.

Ive had 3 flat tires in 20yrs and the spare got me home, even though I was only 15 miles from home and 4 mechanical breakdowns which all required a tow truck, but where 5, 15 and 30 miles from home.

A flat tire in town and worst case, you can leave your car on the side on the expressway and come back, but you probably wont do that hundreds of miles from home with your family in the car and the car packed with all your stuff.

Even if you did have a spare and are 500 miles from home, atleast the donut cant take you 50-60miles to the nearest town with a a hotel and repair shop.

Ive had more issues with dodging blown truck tires that can tear up your car than sharp debris that can take out a tire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 07:16 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
We drove 2400 miles to Colorado and back with no spare in August. Never worried about it.
People die once too but they buy life insurance. Flats are not that uncommon anyway. One is enough to ruin your life. I can switch out a flat under 10 minutes. Waiting for AAA is nice in theory but that's not an always an option. What is more likely to happen is to find out your spare is flat too. How often people check their spares? Often, they don't even know how to get it out or where it even is.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:17 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Good luck with that when you flat outside Monahans, TX and it's 110 degrees in the shade and there's no shade and no cell phone coverage either.
Probably best to obtain a cell phone map of coverage areas and avoid driving in any area that does not have cell phone coverage.

Also get a couple of inexpensive TracFones. One GSM and one CDMA. Then check cell phone coverage for both.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:22 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I don’t ever want to depend on AAA or cell phone, even though I have both.

What I can depend on is a full-size spare and my ability to change a tire. I also taught my daughter how to do this, and I’m astounded that there are grown men who don’t know how!

Old 09-07-2019, 06:45 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Good luck with that when you flat outside Monahans, TX and it's 110 degrees in the shade and there's no shade and no cell phone coverage either.
I am not a traveling gal. If I'm driving it's usually within 15 miles of home. Are there actually places where you don't have cell phone coverage in the USA outside of maybe Montana, Wyoming or Alaska?

Old 09-07-2019, 07:20 AM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
I probably wouldn't want to take along trip without a spare, just for peace of mind. However, I replace my tires fairly conservatively, living in snow country I need to keep good tread for winter traction, and I can't say that I can remember the last time I had to swap tires myself for a flat. I have had a couple of slow leaks from punctures in the past 20 years, but I noticed them before flat and had those fixed at a service station.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:49 AM

110 posts, read 77,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortWingate View Post
I always travel with a spare (and I carry a can of fix-a-flat too, in my milkcrate which includes a wool cap, wool gloves, tow strap, jumper cables, can of de-icer, bottle of water, small fire extinguisher, two large plastic garbage sacks (to either lay on the ground or wear if need be), crescent wrench or locking pliers, flat screwdriver, pointed screwdriver, knife, wind up flashlight (and a regular flashlight with spare batteries in my wife's car), small first aid kid, two packs of chemical hand warmers, tire pressure gauge, and three days of emergency rations). I am thinking about adding a laser pointer to the kits too.

I forgot to add I also have a reflective space blanket in the milkcrate, along with a wool blanket draped over the rear seat. In the winter time when we go on a long trip, I toss in a sleeping bag too (rated to -20F from my climbing days).

Old 09-07-2019, 09:08 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Is it safe to keep a can of fix-a-flat in my trunk if I'm in a very hot, sunny climate or could it possibly explode?

Old 09-07-2019, 09:11 AM

6,450 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Something else, for you AWD vehicle owners to consider. An AWD equipped vehicle needs all four tires to be the same size, within about 0.050", or so. A difference greater than that, will have the vehicle think that you're making a turn, constantly, and mess up either the differential on that axle, the center differential, or both.

And FWIW, this also applies to a rear drive car with a limited-slip differential.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:29 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I am not a traveling gal. If I'm driving it's usually within 15 miles of home. Are there actually places where you don't have cell phone coverage in the USA outside of maybe Montana, Wyoming or Alaska?

Yes, my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive