Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 10:43 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I am not a traveling gal. If I'm driving it's usually within 15 miles of home. Are there actually places where you don't have cell phone coverage in the USA outside of maybe Montana, Wyoming or Alaska?
Seriously? You lead a sheltered life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 10:50 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Thanks - when I was younger I was the typical adventurous fun loving gal. Now that I'm 64 I like living a quiet, sheltered life. :-)

Old 09-07-2019, 10:58 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times
Well, seriously, I hope nothing bad happens to you! I'm turning 66 and just really getting into horses... yikes... ;-)

Old 09-07-2019, 11:47 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I got this emergency tire patch kit and an inflator. One month I had gotten 2 flats, I got tired of changing tires and couldn't find anywhere that could fix flats.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-1014.../dp/B000SQFD4O

Just find the hole on the tire and insert these nails and glue around it. Takes me 15mins to repair a hole.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:16 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Not a chance that I would drive a car beyond "around the block" without a spare or a built in compressor/fix a flat procedure--which still doesn't help if you rupture the tire.

Road service? Hooey. They come, eventually, to take off the flat or load you up for a ride to their dealership/shop. Without a spare, they have to run back to their garage, fix or replace the flat, return to your vehicle and replace. How many hours? What cost?

Call me old fashioned but I would want a spare--especially for a long distance trip across the country.

Having said all this, it has been many years since I have had a flat. Typical nail IIRC. Put on the donut spare, went to a tire shop, repaired the flat and reinstalled for the balance of the tire's life.

To each their own.
I've had more flat tires in the five years I've been in Dallas than my entire previous 45 years of driving. Something like two flats a year.

I figured out that it was because of all the roofing that's done during hail season--roofing nails on the residential roads.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:45 AM

So nobody answered my question: is it safe to leave a can of fix-a-flat in my vehicle if I live in a very hot climate or will the can explode in the car?

Old 09-08-2019, 06:05 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,403,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
So nobody answered my question: is it safe to leave a can of fix-a-flat in my vehicle if I live in a very hot climate or will the can explode in the car?

Don't worry. If it does start to explode, the magic goo that's inside will instantly do what it's supposed to do and seal itself up.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:16 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
I just returned from a 200 mile drive. Air temp was about 85 degrees. Road temp higher because it was sunny. Most miles were at high speed in traffic on crowded Interstates at 70-80 mph.

The next day I drove about a mile from home when the tire warning light came on. Thinking it was just the slow leak left rear tire I've been adding air to every few weeks because of a hard to locate slow leak, I continued another mile until I found a good spot to pull off and look. The right rear looked pretty low. So I turned back to home, driving slowly. Jumped in another car and went to the meeting late.

Later, back in my garage it was obvious the tire was flat but on a quick glance nothing apparent. I added air with a compressor (love having one in the garage). It went from 50 to 35 psi pretty fast, so I figured I'd picked up a nail. I then drove a mile to my nearby Independent garage repair place hoping to have them plug it.

They found a 3" drill bit (about a 1/16") in the tire tread. But worse, the inside 30% of the tread width for about 2-3 inches (only) was badly worn, down to the inner casing threads showed (NO rubber covering them) for about 8 inches or more. The 3 other tires were worn normally and perfectly safe with at least 50% tread depth remaining.

They plugged the flat tire so I could limp home from the shop. They had difficulty removing the buried drill bit, which would have been difficult for a person on the highway under stress in heat or darkness etc. Be sure to carry the right pliers and other pulling tools if you want to try this yourself...a drill bit or similar object has no head like a nail.)

The plug is holding air OK for now but it or the tire is still leaking slowly elsewhere. The car sits in the garage while I shop for a new set of tires.

The car guys first said "you need an alignment the camber is way off" (all of a sudden? the tires were rotated 3k miles ago and looked fine as do the others...maybe I hit a pothole or something breaking the suspension...to be checked). I'm wondering when this happened and if/how long I drove on this tire during my long drive. I don't recall the tire warning being on but...? I recall visiting near a house construction site etc, but hundreds of miles before this failure was noticed. Did I pick this up there and drive on it for hundreds of miles?

In any case, we're fortunate the tire didn't blow out at speed somewhere. Had I known the situation I'd have probably limped to a tire dealer in a strange city and/or mounted the blow up spare...BUTT it was Sunday of Labor Day Weekend and 100 miles from home, so what are the odds of any quick/real success other than mounting a spare?

The car is an AWD 'performance' type with 255/35 19" high perf tires...not easily found in stock at the local gas station on a Sunday on Labor Day weekend 30 miles from any small city. (Does anyone recall when local gas stations actually carried tires that might fit many cars that were on the road?). Cars today come with all kinds and sizes of tires and wheels. I care about the wheels and tires being a particular type/brand and properly mounted and torqued too. Had I discovered the problem on the trip, I might have tried to mount the mini spare myself but think some others would have offered to help depending on where it happened. If this failed, I'd have tried emergency service..but it was Sunday on Labor Day weekend...lots of travelers and probably few road service guys, let alone tire dealers with the kind of tires I want.

This is the 2nd time I have lost a tire on a similar trip. The 1st time, I was years younger and had a real spare (snow tire IIRC) which I mounted on the side of the highway at the toll booth on the Garden State Parkway. I'm older now and this would be more difficult for me, let alone my wife traveling alone.

Butt...I will never travel without at least a mini spare. (Note: many mini spares either come with a fill-up tire can/kit, check yours...if not, buy one).

One other anecdote. I know an owner of a high end Mercedes who broke two (rare and expensive factory option) wheels on pot holes or similar road hazards. The tires went flat. Broken wheels don't easily inflate with canned air. He was miles from home and had to be towed. He was on his way to speak at a seminar in a distat city. He ended up renting cars (to get to his seminar), eventually towing his, and looking for a replacement tire/wheel while miles away...etc etc. If you drive 'special' cars getting them repaired quickly can be very difficult and inconvenient when you travel, especially during busy times, weekends, off hours etc . "Road service" alone is far from a complete solution to all situations. Think carefully.

After my recent experience, I may replace the mini spare(s) with a dormant snow tire as I once did. (Yes, I have mounted snow tires/wheels too...and all 3 of my cars have wells large enough to hold a tire...check if yours do.)

Note also, a good service center/dealer will check the spare tire air along with the other 4 at oil/service time...ask them!. Get a n air pressure guage and check them yourself if you don't have or trust the cars air system alone.

In fact I think mini-spares or better should be required on all cars as standard equipment and, the absence of this, should be a listed as "delete" option (NOT the 'standard equipment') specified on the vehicle order form and shown on the window sticker (prominently). Spare tire equipment should be listed prominently in the spec sheets. This costs nothing but helps to avoid surprises. Yes, I know this won't happen...

Long story, I know but reflecting on what was a scary recent event and sharing a bit. GTG..thanks for listening Doctor

Old 09-08-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Don't worry. If it does start to explode, the magic goo that's inside will instantly do what it's supposed to do and seal itself up.
This is a joke isn't it?

Old 09-08-2019, 07:50 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
My niece goes to college on the east coast and has a car that only has a run flat, no spare tire.

She was driving on a typical semi-rural highway when she hit something and it went flat. Problem was tire was punctured on the side so there was no driving it at all.

Even though she had a cell phone, reception was terrible. She and her friends were finally able to get through and call a tow truck.

This is a reason I'd never have a car without a spare tire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive