Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 09:58 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,193,560 times

Advertisements

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season -OR- Michelin Primacy Tour All Season.

I want a great quiet and soft ride with good traction in rain and snow.

For a 2011 Toyota Avalon Limited with 215 55 17 V sized tires and I reside in NJ. I do about 70 or so percent of my driving on the highway. The rest is on not the greatest of paved roads in slower traffic.

I'd appreciate your opinion on this as tomorrow I have to choose between the two.

The online reviews are all over the place and don't know for sure if all/most of them are from actual customers of such hence I ask you intelligent people here of your opinion and or experience with one or both of these.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 10:19 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,748,685 times
Michelin.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:49 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
Neither.
Vercelli Strada II's... $62.85 a tire at Walmart.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:05 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,233,517 times
Michelin. My experience with the P7s is that the tire noise gets pretty back once you get beyond 60% treadwear. It was so so bad at 50-60mph that I thought I had a bad wheel bearing. This was on a 2007 Lexus Rx400h.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,914,437 times
I wouldn't put Pirellis on my lawn mower. I wouldn't be happy with the polyester corded Michelin's either. Unless you just like future balance issues, I'd avoid the polyester that stretches as it ages creating an unbalanced and out of round tire. An option to consider would be the Yokohama YK740 GTX tire. It's a 149MPH rated tire, AA rating for temperature and wear, 740 UTOG, and a 60,000 mile warranty. The orange oil in the compound of the rubber makes for a quiet, soft riding tire. It's an all season tire as well and it's designed for the luxury car segment. I've had a few sets and the difference is very noticeable between the old Michelins and this Yokohama tire. Your money, your car.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:15 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,193,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I wouldn't put Pirellis on my lawn mower. I wouldn't be happy with the polyester corded Michelin's either. Unless you just like future balance issues, I'd avoid the polyester that stretches as it ages creating an unbalanced and out of round tire. An option to consider would be the Yokohama YK740 GTX tire. It's a 149MPH rated tire, AA rating for temperature and wear, 740 UTOG, and a 60,000 mile warranty. The orange oil in the compound of the rubber makes for a quiet, soft riding tire. It's an all season tire as well and it's designed for the luxury car segment. I've had a few sets and the difference is very noticeable between the old Michelins and this Yokohama tire. Your money, your car.

It's funny you mention Yokohama Tires as I currently can't wait to rid of the brand new Yokohama Ascend GT Tires (I know different from the tire you're referencing) I ordered from my local tire place (to be replaced there with one of the two choices I mentioned in this thread) as they make my 2011 Avalon ride quite hard and noisy. The Yokohama YK740 GTX is not available for order from where my tire place and I'm kind of stuck now using this place b/c there's only store credit for a complete return and I don't want hundreds of dollars of store credit "if" I were interested to find a place that sold those tires you referenced - thanks, but unfortunately a "moot" point at this point in time. That Texas heat must do numbers to tires I imagine. BTW, the Michelin tire I referenced are "supposed to be different" than the older modeled Michelins as far as traction staying pretty much the same as they wear according to Michelin I recall.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:05 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,247,805 times
I got 70k miles out of my first set of Cinturato P7 All-Season Plus, which is what they were advertised to achieve. So I replaced them with the exact same tires, and put them on my second car as well. Very good in the wet, and not bad when temps are at or near the freezing point.

Less expensive than Michelins, especially at Sam's Club.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:50 PM

408 posts, read 259,577 times
I do my tire research on TireRack.com. I buy my tires local, but I do like TireRack to assist me in doing my tire homework.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:28 PM

9,411 posts, read 11,156,929 times
I'd look at the new Michelin Cross Climate +.
I'm running BFG G-Force Comp2 A/S and have about 10,000 on them and am quite pleased with them.

I don't think Primacy is one of the better Michelin lines.

I had those same Pirellis on both our cars, though TR says they're iffy in the wet I never had any issues in the rain and I do occasionally run with scissors.

I look at TR's tests and then throw a dart at the board.

I would not buy some cheap crap Chinese Wal Mart tires. I have bought tires at WM before and WM is not the issue, cheap junk is the issue.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:23 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Neither.
Vercelli Strada II's... $62.85 a tire at Walmart.

Exactly. For Toyota highway driving, why buy more than you need?

As for Michelin, last ones I had I drove on some bad roads at times, and busted out four sidewalls in two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive