Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 10:13 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Don't know why the Feds or Utilities aren't stepping in to do this. The grid is controlled by the utilities, they should be involved setting standards and help with the infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 04:09 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Someone who wants to drive 400 miles without stopping for hours to "fuel up."

This is the answer.

Electric cars will remain primarily an urban commuter car until range is extended to at least 400 miles in cool to cold weather, a full recharge can be completed in 15 minutes or less and the number of recharging locations available are are equal to current day gas stations.

When I can drive an electric on a long road (and we do at least two a year), stop where I want to recharge (instead of finding and driving to a recharging location) and fully recharge as fast as I can fill a tank of gas, the EV is just a novelty to me.

Also, the top 3 selling vehicles in the US are all pickups, Ford F-series, Ram and Chevy Silverado. Those are going to be even more difficult to replace with electric. There are millions of us outside of urban centers for whom electrics just won't work with their current capabilities.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:59 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Someone who wants to drive 400 miles without stopping for hours to "fuel up."
Yep, I'm with you. Luckily:
1. I pretty much know my driving day before I leave the house.
2. I have a gas-powered VW for days I'll be out over 200 miles.

People have told me they've driven their EV cross-country. For a 200 mile driving day, that's great. Just spend the nite at a hotel with a charging station and then wake-up with a fully-charged car. That would take some planning and there are probably apps for that. But 200 miles is a pretty short driving day on a cross-country trip.

I've seen free-standing charging stations at some fairly deserted places. Who would want to spend 2-hours waiting for a charge next to a cactus?

If I need to make a long-distance trip, I fly and then just use Uber in my destination city.

In my crystal ball, I see EVs with 500 and even 1000 miles on a single charge. I may never live to see those days but long-distance driving with an EV will become much easier.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:31 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Where does this say that it is not the 2021 model year?
It says 2021, not model year 2021 - https://techau.com.au/porsche-taycan...-fast-charing/

Where does it say model year 2021?

Old 09-21-2019, 01:35 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you sound like some crazy old guy who has decided to make his last stand in a home purchase negotiation on the $1k charger that the seller installed. if you dont value it, then just drop your offer by $1k.

that is one thing i hate about the home buying process. you make an offer. then the old guy selling his house wants to talk to you and tell you about all the great things in the house and how much he paid for it. i dont care. make a counter or stand firm. dont try to convince me.
The charger is built into the car - what is being included is probably a $500 wall connector like this - https://shop.tesla.com/product/silver-wall-connector

Old 09-21-2019, 02:42 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
First, this is ridiculous because a seller can try to build that into pricing but that extra value doesn't matter unless the buyer is willing to pay for such. Is this the only house on the market in the area and there are a lot of of buyers who are beholden to this monopoly? How much do you figure the bump is?

You had a practical question at first and people answered it pretty reasonably, but it seems like this is a lot more than just actual curiosity. If you want to go further into this, then tell us, where is this house? Is it in an area where there are actually electric vehicles around? Trying to sell a house with the plus that there is an outlet for level 2 EV charging in North Dakota somewhere probably isn't much of a sell, but if you're talking about California, New Jersey, Chicagoland, Puget Sound area, Denver Area, eastern Massachusetts, or Long Island, then it's a lot more understandable.
Not sure why it matters but the house was in Stuart, Florida. Not in remote Wyoming nor in metropolitan San Francisco but in an area where plug in EV penetration would probably approximate the national norm of less than one percent. If it's as high as three percent it doesn't significantly affect the pool of house buyers; the great majority will not see it as the benefit the seller is attempting to make it out to be.

No one has answered how much a new Tesla charger costs to buy, install and have power run to. There has also been no estimate of the value or market for a used charger and the ease and expense of moving it.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:47 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you sound like some crazy old guy who has decided to make his last stand in a home purchase negotiation on the $1k charger that the seller installed. if you dont value it, then just drop your offer by $1k.

that is one thing i hate about the home buying process. you make an offer. then the old guy selling his house wants to talk to you and tell you about all the great things in the house and how much he paid for it. i dont care. make a counter or stand firm. dont try to convince me.
Again, I have asked how much the total cost of running the line, purchasing the charger and installing it would have cost the seller of the house. This may give an idea of the value the seller is attributing to it when including it in the sale. I don't believe he would make such a big deal about it in the listing if it was only $1000; a decent refrigerator or stove would be worth more than that as an upgrade and appeal to a much larger segment of the buyer market.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
"I don't have a Tesla, I'm not getting a Tesla and I'm not paying for that charger."
That easy, really.
I believe there will come a time where you'll have no choice as you wont be able to buy gasoline.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:24 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Eventually someone is gonna step in and make the manufacturers use a universal type connector. This different connector bs is retarded.

The question is which connections will be the "betamax."

Old 09-21-2019, 07:31 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I believe there will come a time where you'll have no choice as you wont be able to buy gasoline.
When will that be, 2142?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive