Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 03:55 PM

16,471 posts, read 19,501,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Who the hell is not offering floormats?! And I'm one of those people who don't like them. There'es already a floor and/or carpet.. I don't like sunvisors either. It's clutter.
Almost all cars still offer floor mats. They are the cheap carpet ones. The floor mats some of these people want are the rugged or 'winter' ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 04:03 PM

15,035 posts, read 9,999,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
NOTHING prevents you from buying a spare tire.
Issue comes when the car's design doesn't have a place to store the spare tire...

Old 09-17-2019, 04:06 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,091,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
It's bad enough that most new cars no longer come with CD players. But what is worse is that most new cars don't even have spare tires!!!!!

Seems the more we have to pay for cars, the less we get.

They give us the obnoxious "lane-keep-assist" to keep us "safe", but won't give us a spare tire? (And while they are worrying about safety, quit integrating the heat and A/C controls into the entertainment system!)

Seems spares are even less likely to be found on high end cars! Mercedes, BMW, Infiniti and Lexus all forego spares.

Having just had a flat in the middle of nowhere in Texas (on my 2011 Nissan), I can't imagine if I had been in that situation with no spare.

Am I not the only one who finds this outrageous?
LOL. Yeah, it's shame alright. Damn 8-Track player isn't even available either! What's up with that?

Considering my last CD player broke down in (about) 2005, anyone handing me that kind of media just gets it handed right back. That garbage has been obsolete since at least then. This whole 'Cloud Services' thing is a fad though, don't you worry: it'll blow over. Any day now. (Waiting...)

You don't need a "spare tire", bunch of heavy dead weight. Some cars come with poly spares, other with flx a flat kids. Last car I saw with a regular spare wast he Land Cruiser sitting in my garage, but that thing's a tank at 5,800 lbs and everything's the literal best Toyota can build it. Otherwise, that's what someone invented AAA or Porsche Roadside or State Farm for. One call, people come take care of all that. I'm sure not going to deal with it. What, are cell phones going to blow over one of these days, too?

No one driving a Mercedes, BMW, or Infiniti is going to deal with greasy, dangerous, dead lifting with jacks BS out in a rain storm. Just make a call. All the above have roadside plans, I had Porsche roadside for ten years and now have a version from Ford Performance including flat bed towing.

Yes, you're the only one in Odessa who finds this outrageous.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:17 PM

21,675 posts, read 24,822,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I wouldn't mind it, but even I went without one in my 08 cvpi, when I put a new stereo in it. Most audiophiles know CDs have the best sound, especially when talking about digital media, but I didn't want a book of CDs in my car and another reason for somebody to break in it. So I bought an hd bluetooth radio.

Some of us older millenials still have and still buy CDs. People throw the term "millenial" around so much, makes me wonder if they even know who they are.
I doubt more than 5% of the so-called audiophiles could tell the difference between 192 kbps mp3 and a CD in a car while driving down the freeway at 70 mph. Sub 192 kbps mp3 or 128 AAC, it's much more noticeable.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/5/15...fy-hi-fi-tidal

I can hear 160 kbps if I'm really paying attention which while driving I'm not. It's perfectly acceptable where 128 mp3 is, well, not so great. 320 and lossless I'd have to hear them back to back and even then I'd be guessing.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:22 PM

17,004 posts, read 21,680,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
It's bad enough that most new cars no longer come with CD players. But what is worse is that most new cars don't even have spare tires!!!!!

Seems the more we have to pay for cars, the less we get.

They give us the obnoxious "lane-keep-assist" to keep us "safe", but won't give us a spare tire? (And while they are worrying about safety, quit integrating the heat and A/C controls into the entertainment system!)

Seems spares are even less likely to be found on high end cars! Mercedes, BMW, Infiniti and Lexus all forego spares.

Having just had a flat in the middle of nowhere in Texas (on my 2011 Nissan), I can't imagine if I had been in that situation with no spare.

Am I not the only one who finds this outrageous?
I have owned cars for years without ever touching the spare..........so that is somewhat of a moot point. Sure there might be that one oddball trip that nothing goes right but in most cases not a big deal. Come to think of it, my 2016 Tahoe went 48K miles in 2 years and I never once even looked at the spare. My 2018 Yukon has gone 22K miles so far and I've never looked at that spare either. So 70K miles of driving in 3 years, no spare used.

Keep in mind many of those highline cars have run flat tires......you can drive another 50-75 miles on the tire.

BTW- what was the last CD you have bought? It has been probably 10 years since I have bought a new one.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:40 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,886,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Issue comes when the car's design doesn't have a place to store the spare tire...
Can anyone comprehend what is being stated?

So the engineers and designers started from scratch - purposely design out/remove/delete - a spare tire?

Isn't this insanity at it's best?

Old 09-18-2019, 12:15 AM

10,064 posts, read 6,642,093 times
Vinyl record sales are surpassing CD sales this year. Personally I haven't had a CD in my fingers since 2011.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/14/viny...90percent.html

Also why do you need a CD player, when cars now offer now XM Radio (80's on 8 or Yacht Rock Radio) ? or you can just stream from pandora/spotify/youtube.

I absolutely hate the trend of no spare tires, BMW does however sell you one if you want to buy one from them aftermarket for $500 (a complete rip-off). Just complain more and maybe after someone dies and some lawsuits/congress involvement they will be added back.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:58 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,776,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
LOL. Yeah, it's shame alright. Damn 8-Track player isn't even available either! What's up with that?

Considering my last CD player broke down in (about) 2005, anyone handing me that kind of media just gets it handed right back. That garbage has been obsolete since at least then. This whole 'Cloud Services' thing is a fad though, don't you worry: it'll blow over. Any day now. (Waiting...)

You don't need a "spare tire", bunch of heavy dead weight. Some cars come with poly spares, other with flx a flat kids. Last car I saw with a regular spare wast he Land Cruiser sitting in my garage, but that thing's a tank at 5,800 lbs and everything's the literal best Toyota can build it. Otherwise, that's what someone invented AAA or Porsche Roadside or State Farm for. One call, people come take care of all that. I'm sure not going to deal with it. What, are cell phones going to blow over one of these days, too?

No one driving a Mercedes, BMW, or Infiniti is going to deal with greasy, dangerous, dead lifting with jacks BS out in a rain storm. Just make a call. All the above have roadside plans, I had Porsche roadside for ten years and now have a version from Ford Performance including flat bed towing.

Yes, you're the only one in Odessa who finds this outrageous.
I would much rather take 10min to cbange the flat, than wait up to an hour for a tow. And the cost of such services is insane in my book. Just lazy... I got places to be. You make it sound barbaric to do it yourself, but you probably don't wipe your ass either. Ten minutes of my time and I'm off, or waste up to an hour of my time just so I don't need to do anything? People like you make me laugh and shake my head the way yall justify lazy, expensive, "convenience". Own a car but don't want to do any of the work, including actually driving it.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:00 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,776,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Almost all cars still offer floor mats. They are the cheap carpet ones. The floor mats some of these people want are the rugged or 'winter' ones.
Thank the car gods we have Weathertech to fill the void.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:38 AM

15,035 posts, read 9,999,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Can anyone comprehend what is being stated?

So the engineers and designers started from scratch - purposely design out/remove/delete - a spare tire?

Isn't this insanity at it's best?
Yes. A lot of cars today not only do not have a spare tire but they have also do not have a space to stow it which has been underneath the vehicle or under the floor of the trunk. One will also have to figure out where the stow the tools required for a spare tire change. So it may not be as easy as simply buying a spare tire... Auto manufacturers have been deleting spare tires from vehicles for a long time now. My vehicle doesn't have one and it is 10 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive