Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2019, 02:14 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,372,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
What we need is lighter vehicles! Unfortunately, electric is going the opposite direction. EVs are heavy, because batteries are heavy, and they're heavy because their energy density is poor. The Tesla Model-3 is an impressive car, but compare its weight to that of say a BMW 3-series or C-class Mercedes. It's heavier. And it's because of the batteries.
According to Edmunds - The curb weight of the Tesla Model 3 RWD is 3686 lbs, BMW 3 series is 3849 lbs, MB C300 is 3638 lbs - the Tesla is not really heavier. The Tesla may have lower energy density but the MB and BMW have to extract the gasolines higher energy density by using an engine and transmission which offsets the weight of the battery.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:38 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
According to Edmunds - The curb weight of the Tesla Model 3 RWD is 3686 lbs, BMW 3 series is 3849 lbs, MB C300 is 3638 lbs - the Tesla is not really heavier. The Tesla may have lower energy density but the MB and BMW have to extract the gasolines higher energy density by using an engine and transmission which offsets the weight of the battery.
A BMW 3 series has a 15.6 gallon gas tank and gets 24-36 mpg. That gives it a range of 374-561 miles, almost double that of a Model 3. While the weight itself is roughly the same, to equal the same range would require almost double the battery size.
On a small sedan it’s not a huge problem, but this becomes more of an issue as a vehicle gets bigger and is expected to do more and go further with less powertrain and fuel weight.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:11 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,643,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeping Incrementalism View Post
Global warming is the evil that cannot be solved...
Assume for a moment the Global Warming is happening.

Solutions - which have nothing to do with automobiles - include:

1. Injection of reflective designer aerosols into the upper atmosphere, which reflect about 1% of solar energy back into outer space. Sort of like how, when Mt. Pinatubo erupted on June 15, 1991, injecting 20,000,000 tons of reflective sulfur dioxide aerosols into the upper atmosphere. Global temperatures declined by about 1 degree F from 1991 through 1993. Engineered designer aerosols could do the same thing and could enhance the ozone layer at the same time.

These dissipate, and must be replaced. Titrate until you have the desired amount of Global Cooling.

Problem solved.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...M_overview.jpg

https://static.hwpi.harvard.edu/file...&itok=Zy7PVc5B

2. "Brightening" the marine layer of clouds, thereby reflecting about 1% of solar energy back into outer space. This can be accomplished by taking pulverized sea salt and broadcasting it into marine layer clouds, thereby cooling the planet by a degree or two. These dissipate over time, so titrate until you have the desired amount of Global Cooling.

Problem solved.

3. "Thinning" Cirrus clouds (upper atmospheric clouds) so they allow more long-wave radiation to pass from the planet into outer space. Solar radiation hits Earth, and some of it is reflected back upward into outer space. Upper atmospheric clouds reflect much of that back down to the planet. Thinning the upper atmospheric clouds will allow more solar radiation to escape back into outer space.

Problem solved.

4. Semi-transparent stationary "space parasols" in orbit or at the L1 Lagrangian point between Earth and our Moon. About a thousand square kilometers could cut down about one percent of solar radiation, thereby cooling our planet.

Problem solved.

Notice none of the above have anything to do with automobiles. Learn more, if you're so incliined at the Harvard Solar Geoengineering Research Program:

https://geoengineering.environment.h...geoengineering

Old 09-26-2019, 08:32 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,643,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
While I don't see it as a big Government push for it...
Perhaps you've heard about The Green New Deal proposed by Rep. Occaisional-Cortex and Sen. Markey Mark. The Green New Deal, according to its proponents, is a plan for one hundred percent clean, renewable energy by 2030 utilizing a carbon tax, a jobs guarantee, free college, free single-payer healthcare, a Guaranteed Basic Income, free ponys and trips to Disneyland & Disneyworld. And free childcare, free diapers, and free feminine hygiene products. And free Beyond Meat burgers.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:36 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Yet with all the Government (taxpayer) subsidies, Media HYPE, virtual signaling, feel good, woke glamour, the market in the U.S. for EV's is a whopping 2.1%.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:52 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yet with all the Government (taxpayer) subsidies, Media HYPE, virtual signaling, feel good, woke glamour, the market in the U.S. for EV's is a whopping 2.1%.
Like oil and gas doesn’t get hype and subsidies?

Old 09-26-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Like oil and gas doesn’t get hype and subsidies?
No they don’t.
Where did this myth come from?

Old 09-26-2019, 05:26 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,704,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
A BMW 3 series has a 15.6 gallon gas tank and gets 24-36 mpg. That gives it a range of 374-561 miles, almost double that of a Model 3. While the weight itself is roughly the same, to equal the same range would require almost double the battery size.
On a small sedan it’s not a huge problem, but this becomes more of an issue as a vehicle gets bigger and is expected to do more and go further with less powertrain and fuel weight.
I didn't realize how much BMW has bloated in weight over the past 20 years, and accordingly, stand corrected.

Nevertheless, the above is compelling endorsement for building a different kind of electric vehicle: something like the original Tesla Roadster, but with modern battery technology, and no intention of being a supercar. Imagine such a car with a small battery, of say 50 mile range, capable at high discharge rate of supporting maybe 150 hp delivered to the rear wheels. If 85 kWh, weighing some 1200 pounds, is what it takes to move a 4000 lb Tesla across 250 miles (roughly), then a reasonable estimate might be 180 lb of batteries, or even less, for say a 200 lb car that goes 50 miles on a charge.

Such a battery pack might be in say two 90-pound suitcase-sized bricks. I'm not exactly a football player, but I can pick up and carry a 90 lb suitcase up the stairs to my office. The point is that I could park this thing in a random spot on the street, take the battery out, carry it to my office, and recharge it from the same receptacle that charges my laptop.... all using today's technology.

.... except that such a vehicle doesn't exist.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I didn't realize how much BMW has bloated in weight over the past 20 years, and accordingly, stand corrected.

Nevertheless, the above is compelling endorsement for building a different kind of electric vehicle: something like the original Tesla Roadster, but with modern battery technology, and no intention of being a supercar. Imagine such a car with a small battery, of say 50 mile range, capable at high discharge rate of supporting maybe 150 hp delivered to the rear wheels. If 85 kWh, weighing some 1200 pounds, is what it takes to move a 4000 lb Tesla across 250 miles (roughly), then a reasonable estimate might be 180 lb of batteries, or even less, for say a 200 lb car that goes 50 miles on a charge.

Such a battery pack might be in say two 90-pound suitcase-sized bricks. I'm not exactly a football player, but I can pick up and carry a 90 lb suitcase up the stairs to my office. The point is that I could park this thing in a random spot on the street, take the battery out, carry it to my office, and recharge it from the same receptacle that charges my laptop.... all using today's technology.

.... except that such a vehicle doesn't exist.
It does, it just sucks.... https://www.smartusa.com/models/eq-pure-coupe

Old 09-26-2019, 06:16 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,372,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Don't like the facts so change the argument from weight to range - you are so disingenuous.

Last edited by ddeemo; 09-26-2019 at 06:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive