Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 06:18 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
no true sports car guy would consider purchasing electric, so there would be an extra cost for almost no demand.
The winner of the SCCA national championship this year did it in a Tesla. And there were also a number of others that participated.

Now, a "true sports car guy" is subjective. So I guess you can have your own criteria and say anyone that drives an electric can't be one. But then you'd also eliminate a bunch of professional drivers - including a former Formula 1 champion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 04:33 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Probably the biggest question is how much range would an EV gain by adding a manual-transmission?

Old 09-28-2019, 04:47 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Probably the biggest question is how much range would an EV gain by adding a manual-transmission?

If it the motor would pull fewer amps it would extend range between recharges. Possibly. Then the questions would become would the increased weight offset any gains?

Old 09-29-2019, 02:18 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
no true sports car guy would consider purchasing electric, so there would be an extra cost for almost no demand.
That seems a bit subjective. There are several professional drivers who drive electric. I have raced cars and love have an electric car for all of our day to day driving.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:32 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Probably none or a loss.

Quite frankly, most who drive a manual transmission can’t shift work a flip.

Do you know how many posts over the years to the tune of, “I shift my four cylinder truck at 1,000 rpms no matter what. Why do I get 12 MPGs?” I have seen over the years? Too many.

The concept of those peak torque and hp ratings flies over their heads.

Besides, it costs millions of bucks to certify a power train to the EPA’s liking, which is pointless when a computer will do it better.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:54 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
It’s really a CVT transmission like a gas scooter uses.
Nah, actually Zero motorcycles have a clutchless direct drive transmission.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:07 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
There's actually good reason to have multiple gears in an EV, the biggest being torque multiplication and efficiency. Tesla's dual motor vehicles have one motor with peak efficiency at lower speeds and one with peak efficiency at higher speeds, and bias one motor or the other at different vehicle speeds to get the best kwh/mile. We're talking tens of miles difference in range here with the same battery.

I believe I read somewhere that the original roadster was supposed to have a two speed gearbox which didn't make it to production.

Plenty of EV conversions keep their original car transmissions, FWIW.
Well Teslas have a gearbox on each motor. There are homebuilt EVs with manual transmissions.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biezer View Post
I wouldn't even know that a manual motorcycle is more expensive than an automatic one, because up to now, there were no automatic ones. This is all coming up right now because of this change to electric. BTW, a motorcycle is a fun vehicle, and if the waiver of shifting is to the expense of that, I would certainly add more weight to it. Not without reason, people prefer heavier motorcycles. If the waiver of weight would be advantageous, anyone would prefer 125cc or 250cc mc's.
Honda has made automative motorcycles off and on since the 80s.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Nah, actually Zero motorcycles have a clutchless direct drive transmission.
More like two pulleys and a belt. Like a beach cruiser.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:49 PM

Sure an ev with enough power doesn't need a transmission and yes they deliver instant torque but it's flat. I'm pretty sure Teslas semi has a transmission of some sort other than the geardrive the cars have. I think it depends on circumstances wether an EV has a transmission or is direct drive. An electric tow motor/fork lift is direct drive and it probably has more torque than it'll ever use. A powerchair or scooter for the elderly and dissabled has a transmission on each motor. By transmission I mean it uses a gear reduction, er go the wheels aren't directly connected to the motors. So it's a transmision basically speaking. There are direct drive and belt drive washers and dryers. I'll bet a direct drive dryer has a far more powerful motor than a belt drive(transmision) dryer. So saying that an EV doesn't need a transmission is a misnomer. Wether it needs one is case by case. There are many EVs that have some type of transmission. Even remote control cars have transmissions.

So yes a transmission can benefit an EV. Usually depending on what kinda motor it has and what it needs to do. Yes they deliver all torque and 1rpm through 1000rpm, but what happens when it meets resistance? You can build an EV with direct drive and the motor can spin 20k rpms, doesn't mean it can climb a hill or tow. The motors in a powerchair spin about something hundred rpms by itself, without gear reduction it would not be as capable as they are, they wouldn't be able to climb very well and wouldn't have as long a battery charge. You won't find something like a car running direct drive. An electric golfkart or maintance cart, maybe, pallet jack, sure. Telsa, Leaf, those things do have some sort of gear reduction or torque multiplication to perform as it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive