Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2019, 09:44 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times

Advertisements

In my quest of a cushy driving car I test drove the Volvo XC90 with air suspension. The sales person was great and we went through alot of the tech. features while taking the test drive. I found the self driving ones pushier and less reliable than those on other vehicles I've test driven but to be fair the road was a curvy non-expressway road vs others I have test driven on expressways which they were probably designed for.

If you have self driving features, do you use them? Do you find they make you nervous as you have to override them alot? Please also state which vehicle and trim you have.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 10:45 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
I have a Tesla Model 3 with full self drive. It’s amazing in highway traffic. It took me about a day to start trusting it. It handles road curves quite well and will even change lanes around slow moving vehicles.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:51 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
If you have self driving features, do you use them? Do you find they make you nervous as you have to override them alot? Please also state which vehicle and trim you have.
I don't trust self driving, I'd like to keep living, thanks.

Lane departure works fine (get buzzed thru the seat) as does adaptive cruise.
I have HUD, so I see the adaptive cruise start to slow down the car without looking down at the speedo.
I pass and resume cruising. I like the combo of HUD and adaptive cruise a lot.

Low speed automatic braking and front/rear parking sensors are also very useful aids.
You are going to get a lot of warnings if you get too close to something.
It just plain won't let you back into anything. The car slams on the brakes by itself.
This is good, because the wife was good at backing into stuff. Not anymore!

Haven't had the car do any high speed automatic braking.

I never override any of them because they all work very well. Car is a 2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:16 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
In my humble opinion, people in America are already too far off in la-la-land, on a regular basis, and "self driving" cars will only worsen the problem. What do I mean? Go into a grocery store, during the daytime, and try to do your shopping in an efficient manner. It's almost impossible, as people are so self-absorbed in their "electronic devices", they clog the aisles.

Walk through a shopping mall, again, it's a similar thing, people staring off into space, while meandering down the middle of an aisle, making it difficult for those who are actually focused, to get to where they want to go. Somehow or other, this country is turning into a mass of semi-conscious zombies, and the idea of self driving cars reinforces this.

Bah, humbug!

Old 09-25-2019, 03:31 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
All good input. Sounds like people who have the features like them and use them. Thanks!

Old 09-25-2019, 05:34 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Son has Tesla 3. autopilot is his favorite thing. exactly specifically in traffic.
To my surprise, as they just bought 2020 Corolla Hybrid base, it pretty much drives itself! Has lane departure and adaptive cruise control plus whatever that thing is called that corrects steering when you wave out of lane.
So darn thing drives itself when that is turned on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive