Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 09:06 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

Cars.com and Motor Week together tested four midsize trucks. Toyota would not submit a Toyota Tacoma for testing so that is why it was excluded. They deemed the Nissan truck to be too old a design to be competitive. The rankings may upset hardcore truck fans. The Ford Ranger was surprising as the turbo four acceleration with a thousand pounds in the bed barely measured a difference from empty bed acceleration. The GMC in Denali form didn’t feel as upscale as some competitors. The Jeep was just too expensive for what you got. I’m sure hard core Jeep fans will be willing to put up the money for the Jeep truck.

https://www.cars.com/articles/ready-...e-best-408868/

Number one on their list was the Honda Ridgeline. In the Motorweek episode for the test they pointed out how today’s midsize trucks are nearly the size of full size trucks a generation ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 09:13 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
“We rate four $50,000 trucks and pick a minivan with a bed as the winner.” Dumb. Who is spending $50k on a midsize truck. The test is useless for most people especially when it ignores two of the top offerings, the Tacoma and Frontier

Old 09-29-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
“We rate four $50,000 trucks and pick a minivan with a bed as the winner.” Dumb. Who is spending $50k on a midsize truck. The test is useless for most people especially when it ignores two of the top offerings, the Tacoma and Frontier
I would have preferred a test of the near base model offerings. Base engine with mid level options package which are usually the big volume sellers. At that price range you’re moving up to a full size truck.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:44 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I would have preferred a test of the near base model offerings. Base engine with mid level options package which are usually the big volume sellers. At that price range you’re moving up to a full size truck.
Agreed

Old 09-29-2019, 09:55 AM

45,321 posts, read 60,500,026 times
John Davis on Motor Week has had an definite bias against Detroit vehicles for a couple decades. Remember, it's based in Maryland, Land of the European Car.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:58 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

They're all useless as trucks due to stupidly short beds. Most people use trucks - even big ones - as cars anyway, so if I was buying a "truck" and didn't plan to use it as one, I suppose the Ridgeline is as good a choice as any. I personally wouldn't buy any of these. For the same price I can get a full-size truck with useful bed. In the end, if you actually need a truck, buy a full-sized one. If you don't need/want a farm implement, but carry a lot of stuff - minivan. Otherwise, a car is the right answer.

Funny Ridgeline sighting in a movie. Some city slickers were visiting relatives on a farm. The city folks were in a Range Rover. The farm folks had a Ridgeline. The city slicker mentioned taking a look at the back forty and the farmer scoffed, saying the Ridgeline was a far more capable off-roader than the Ranger Rover and he should take the Ridgeline instead. I'm not much of an off-roading enthusiast, but that made me laugh out loud.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
They're all useless as trucks due to stupidly short beds. Most people use trucks - even big ones - as cars anyway, so if I was buying a "truck" and didn't plan to use it as one, I suppose the Ridgeline is as good a choice as any. I personally wouldn't buy any of these. For the same price I can get a full-size truck with useful bed. In the end, if you actually need a truck, buy a full-sized one. If you don't need/want a farm implement, but carry a lot of stuff - minivan. Otherwise, a car is the right answer.

Funny Ridgeline sighting in a movie. Some city slickers were visiting relatives on a farm. The city folks were in a Range Rover. The farm folks had a Ridgeline. The city slicker mentioned taking a look at the back forty and the farmer scoffed, saying the Ridgeline was a far more capable off-roader than the Ranger Rover and he should take the Ridgeline instead. I'm not much of an off-roading enthusiast, but that made me laugh out loud.
Locally some ranchers/farmers have ATVs. Some of these are like the original Army Jeep in size, power, and capability. These things can be in the $5,000 range new depending on brand and options. Some can be optioned like a small utility truck. Some can haul four or more people safely like for a ranch or work crew.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
hey pointed out how today’s midsize trucks are nearly the size of full size trucks a generation ago.

But the beds are smaller than ever. Compact, mid-size, and full-size trucks have gotten huge in recent years with no corresponding increase in bed-size. I had old Mitsubishi pickup with a 7 foot bed that could carry more stuff than a friend's new F150 with a 5 1/2 foot bed. And the Mitsubishi is tiny compared to the F150. GM is the worst with their ridiculously over-sized front ends. Forward vision is severely compromised and, frankly, it looks disproportionate and stupid. Plus, ride heights have increased over the years so that lift-over on even 2WD trucks makes them less useful for cargo due to loading difficulties. As suburbanites and city dwellers have embraced pickups, they have become much less useful for those of us who actually use trucks as trucks.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Locally some ranchers/farmers have ATVs. Some of these are like the original Army Jeep in size, power, and capability. These things can be in the $5,000 range new depending on brand and options. Some can be optioned like a small utility truck. Some can haul four or more people safely like for a ranch or work crew.

ATVs and side-by-sides make fantastic farm vehicles.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:11 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
I stated laughing at the 56,000 THOUSAND dollar sticker for a POS Chrysler/Jeep product. I saw a Gladiator a few days ago. Ugly as funk. But I’m sure it will sell like crazy to the Jeep fanboys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive