Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied by my thoughts regarding the used car thread post which i have posted above? whats
yes 0 0%
no 1 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 738 times

Advertisements

Brace up for a bit of mathematics and logical explanations! Those are what is going to answer your question. If you buy a used car in its prime age, you might just go home with an impressive deal. And if you do a few futuristic calculations, you can save a lot more than what people generally save while purchasing used cars. Take note that there is no precise rule of thumb. No one answer can satisfy your need. There have been cases where the newest of models have given unsatisfactory results while the vintage ones survived long. So, put on your rational-thinking hat and compute your way to the best age.

2-4 years old used cars

A few factors require attention here.

1. Most car manufacturers provide a warranty of almost 3 years on their vehicles. So, a car of this age is certainly your best bet as you can buy when the vehicle is still within the manufacturer warranty period.

2. The bulk of the depreciation has already occurred. A new car loses nearly 20-30% of its retail price in the first year itself. Hence, you will be paying much less for a car of a fairly-new quality as the years roll along.

As evident, 2-4 years old cars are like gems. You get all the aspects that used car buyers look for while shopping. Even maintenance and repair costs do not come to haunt you soon as all the vehicle’s parts are designed to run in top shape at least for 5 years. If you are getting a vehicle of this age, and that too from a top reliable brand, you can vest all your trusts without further apprehensions.

5 years old cars

This is where the story starts changing again. Naturally, a 5-year-old car will cost you much less than a 2-year-old-car due to all that depreciation but this is also the point from where wear and tear start to set in. On average, a car of this age will have a reading of 60,000 miles on its odometer. It indicates that it is time to change the timing belt, replace the air filter, keep a tab on tire condition and look into other vital parts.

Buying a car of 5 years will cost you in repairs, either then or within one year of your purchase date, and here you need to calculate your expenses to match with the price of any newer model. But also take registration fees, insurance policies and taxes into account. After half a decade, these expenses of cars reduce drastically as well.

10 years old cars

Is it even worth buying a car this old? Yes, if you are purchasing your used car from Mod cut.

Plus, there is this reputation of modern cars about longevity. Post-2007, cars have shown a lower fault rate and have earned fewer callbacks. This indicates lower repair charges as your car ages gracefully and your initial investment becoming more long-term. Do not rule out a decade-old car. Again, do your calculations and select accordingly.

And older?

While buying from trusted used car dealerships like Mod cut. , you can definitely go older. But then you will have to consider the technologies that you will not get in the older makes. If you are okay with that compromise, all are fine. Otherwise, stick to the years mentioned in this post.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-01-2019 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: Spam/Advertising

Old 10-01-2019, 08:00 AM

18,929 posts, read 43,254,623 times
For a ten year old car, I would only buy a one owner from a private seller. I would expect to see receipts and service history, and I would also observe the condition of the surroundings, house, yard, etc... as this can give a clue about the owner.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:09 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,623,218 times
I wouldnt buy any higher mile car with an automatic or lot complex expensive crap. Unfortunately not lot choice anymore for anything made last 20 years. So drive antique stuff that can be repaired cheap. Cheaper to rebuild engine and transmission in older car than replace stupid small stuff on modern cars. Dont believe me, go replace the dash console screen on modern car. Or get into a minor fender bender in a modern bumperless car. See how much all those sensors up front cost to replace and adjust.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:12 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,255,398 times
I know some people decide they want a, say, 3 year old car and then go look at what's available. I don't do that. I look for a specific car, and then look for the best one available.

I tend to buy specific cars I want, not buy them by age, not by the best deal I can find. For example, I wanted a BMW 330Ci ZHP, which limited me to 2004-2006 model years and I bought the best one I could find of that model. I want a Mazda RX3, which would limit me to 1972-1973 for the version I want. When I bought the Suburban, I was specifically looking for an 8.1 liter 4x4 with tow package, which limited me to the 2000-2006 model years. When I bought the Volt, I actually bought it new to start with as what I wanted was a new Volt at the time.

When I buy, I know what I'm looking at, as I've either researched the car or simply already know the cars well. So I don't care if it's from a dealer or a private party, so long as the car is exactly what I'm looking for and in the condition I'm looking for, and the price is fair for that model. For example, my last BMW '01 740i Sport was bought from a private party with 150k miles on it and was in excellent condition, with all the common problem areas addressed (Timing chain guides, VANOS and cooling system) and the price, while above KBB, was fair for that model in that condition. I drove it for 3 years with zero problems and when I sold it (at 180k miles) it was in perfect condition and the selling price reflected that. The new owner is still driving it today and it's still a great car (at over 200k miles)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive