Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 06:19 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times

Advertisements

OK, Jimmy, here's a recent experience I had.

I took a car to one shop due to a clunking in the suspension. They said I needed to replace both rear struts, all the bushings, and a couple other things I can't remember right off hand, for $1500. I took the same car to a second shop and he said "let's replace the bushings first and see if that fixes it". He did, and it did. $200 or so.

How, pray tell, is the customer supposed to be able to tell whether you are the first guy or the second guy? Especially when (at least from what you write here) anyone who questions your estimate for $$$$$$$$000s gets a heaping helping of scorn and disdain?

In my example above, the first shop could have (although they didn't) sneered at me and said "well, you either want to fix it right, or I won't touch it".

Reminds me of the apocryphal story about the Mercedes-Benz with a cracked oil pan.

"You need ze new pan plus ze ferry expensive repair - $1000."

"Can't the crack be repaired?"

"Nein! You must fix Mercedes ze right way!"

"Isn't there any less expensive alternative?"

"Vell, you could scrap ze car!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 10:05 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I frankly don't care whether I'm saving a customer money when I repair their vehicle, nor do I aspire to be "the cheapest mechanic around".

The only thing that matters to me when doing a repair is that it's done properly and with quality parts. My reputation for doing good work means way too much to me to install cheap, low quality parts because a customer wants to be cheap, or thinks that "it doesn't matter, a part is a part." I have no desire to have to go back in and do something over because someone wanted to cut costs/corners.

I'll use the analogy of a ball joint. Sure, you can buy the el-cheapo ball joint and your car will be fixed, but if it only lasts a year and you have to replace it again, did you really save money? If you would've used a higher quality part (Moog, etc.) and that lasts 3 or 4 years, you've come out ahead, despite spending more on the onset.

But the guy who bought the cheap one not only has to buy the part AGAIN, but they also either have to take the time to install it again themselves, or fork over money AGAIN for a mechanic to do it. And they'll do it again and again every year and never learn their lesson. And those types of customers are the ones always looking for a "deal" (read: want you to do it for peanuts).

Basically, I can't understand why people are so short sighted and can't see when spending a little more money will benefit them in the long run. This whole "cheap above all else" attitude needs to die both in auto repair and in life in general.

Fix it once, fix it right and be done with it IMO.

Thoughts?
I think you posted an identical thread a month or two ago.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:41 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,983 times
Quote:
If a part fails while still under warranty, the customer won't have to pay for a new part, but they will pay me for my labor in replacing said bad part.

I've heard this excuse time and time and time again, so much that it makes me sick. "I just need this vehicle to last X longer". Well, what are you going to do when that time comes? Start walking? Buy another beater with its own set of problems that need fixed (that you don't have money for, either). What are these people going to do?

They're going to keep making the same mistakes over and over and over again because people cater to them and their short sighted mentality. And they'll always expect the world to cut them a break because "times are tough". No, you're just a screw up that can't get their life together, and you need to be taught that lesson the hard way.

Having to go back in and "fix" something 10 times because you were too cheap/broke to just bite the bullet and fix it right the first time is both a waste of your time and mine, as well as your money, because you're either paying someone else to do the work or buying cheapo parts that amount to a bandaid on a bullet wound.

Don't have time for bottom feeders who think the world's dealt them a bad hand and it's "not their fault".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Dude, we get it already. You're just too good for the "bottom feeders" But don't forget for every "bottom feeder" you turn away, there's a business that wouldn't condescend to let you mop their floors, never mind take your money.

Apparently that also goes for women.
According to the link provided by Bitey and your own admittance in the link, you're only 21 or 22.

Truthfully, you are far too young to be so pompous and judgmental of others.

You don't know every customer's trials and tribulations that led them to their current circumstances nor do you apparently care. Fair enough.

However, it is not your place to judge them or their value as human beings.

Are you prepared to be judged by the same measure, and when you are found lacking, what are you going to do to make yourself the "acceptable" example of a person you demand and expect others to be?

Old 10-02-2019, 11:50 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
I frankly don't care whether I'm saving a customer money when I repair their vehicle, nor do I aspire to be "the cheapest mechanic around".

The only thing that matters to me when doing a repair is that it's done properly and with quality parts. My reputation for doing good work means way too much to me to install cheap, low quality parts because a customer wants to be cheap, or thinks that "it doesn't matter, a part is a part." I have no desire to have to go back in and do something over because someone wanted to cut costs/corners.

(snip)

Thoughts?
Cut out the middle because I personally only needed to hear (read) first paragraph, and concluding sentences.

I fully approve. I support my local vendors who supply: Quality repairs at fair and equitable prices.

Yes, most people want "Cheap, Fast, and Best." That's a bunch of skinflint crap, I don't have time for it.

My local guys who do my infrequent Toyota services are "quality repairs and fair and equitable prices", and that's more than good enough. When I had Porsches, the local speed shop was the same. Neither hesitate to charge what the job is worth, but no more. When the local shop said, "sir, we suggest these Bosch blades (wiper) on your Tacoma, vs. the cheap crap you're using, they'll last a couple seasons!", I knew I was onto something. I don't know if Bosch are "the best" (vs. RainEx or similar) but they certainly do *rock*. And that's quality advice at fair prices.

End of story. Carry on. Were you local to my town, you'd probably be my guy for Ford or Toyota repair.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:57 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Dude, we get it already. You're just too good for the "bottom feeders" But don't forget for every "bottom feeder" you turn away, there's a business that wouldn't condescend to let you mop their floors, never mind take your money.

Apparently that also goes for women.
After reading this OP, I wouldn't do business with you (bargain shopping or any other sort) simply because of the snot factor in general. Life's too short and there are plenty of others who actually want the work. FWIW, I am a customer who appreciates quality work and who gives long term loyalty in exchange for it.

A wonder you can stand upright under the weight of your chip.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-02-2019 at 01:27 PM..

Old 10-02-2019, 01:10 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
Quote:

I'll use the analogy of a ball joint. Sure, you can buy the el-cheapo ball joint and your car will be fixed, but if it only lasts a year and you have to replace it again, did you really save money? If you would've used a higher quality part (Moog, etc.) and that lasts 3 or 4 years, you've come out ahead, despite spending more on the onset.

But the guy who bought the cheap one not only has to buy the part AGAIN, but they also either have to take the time to install it again themselves, or fork over money AGAIN for a mechanic to do it. And they'll do it again and again every year and never learn their lesson. And those types of customers are the ones always looking for a "deal" (read: want you to do it for peanuts).

Basically, I can't understand why people are so short sighted and can't see when spending a little more money will benefit them in the long run. This whole "cheap above all else" attitude needs to die both in auto repair and in life in general.

Thoughts?

Are you implying that the cheaper quote cant get the job done correct?

If I had a Honda, I cold take the car to the dealer and be quoted $130-150+ hr for labor, or I could go to my co workers Husband who is a Honda mechanic at the dealership and he will fix it at his house for $50hr labor, so I would be getting the same work for much cheaper, granted warranty might be longer through the dealer.

Ive gone to a GMC dealership and quoted $300 for a Transmission Fluid flush on a 2012 Impala and drove 2 doors down to the Chevy Dealer and quoted $200 for the same exact job. What if the GMC dealer started saying I was cheap, for turning down the correct job, when its $100 cheaper 20 seconds away.

Ive had Ford cars and its insane the labor to pay to replace $ 30 part because Ford was stupid enough to put the exhaust in the way of the oil pan gasket, making a oil pan gasket hundreds of dollars to repair, or have the alternator block the Crankshaft Position sensor making it a 3-4hr job simply to get .2 more inches of clearance for a $20 part just to simply slide the alternator to the left some, or $1000 to replace a $30 AC sensor which caused the AC to shut off in the dash and requires the entire dashboard to be taken apart.

Cars have always taken some time to fix, but the old days of $50-75hr labor is now replaced with $125-200hr labor and even more time to do the same jobs of the past, due to lack of space in the engine bay or the car purposely engineered to have a mechanic work on it, so what was once $3-500 can easily cost $500-1000+ for the same job.

Its only human instinct to want to use a cheaper equivalent part if it will get the job done. This would be solved if they didnt make economy, good, better, and OEM parts and just make OEM or aftermarket equivalent that has to match the standard.

If your customer wants use a AutoZone brand part, they just need to understand the warranty is 30 days vs the OEM part that might last way longer, but most shops I go to will not let me bring in my own part, so im at their mercy if they are even buying a OEM and putting it in or simply using the same cheaper aftermarket part anyways.

You dont have to be the cheapest mechanic around, but always keep in mind, if you are the most expensive, thats how you give the next shop your business when they can do the same exact repair for cheaper. Most folks are looking for reasonable honest mechanics.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:12 PM

Well, a pompous jerk is bad enough, but if I get that attitude from someone who wasn't even a gleam in the mailman's eye when I had already been doing all my own auto repairs for 20 years, I'm DEFINITELY out of there.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:27 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Some people like to buy their John Deere Lawn Tractors from a JD Dealer; and some people like to buy them from a big box store.

Both seem to be happy in their own way. Complete personal choice. And they both are well aware of the quality difference.

That's what makes the world go around.

I am pleased that there are people who provide a first class service or product. On the other hand, Wal-Mart seems to do quite well selling the cheapest crap around.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:36 PM

505 posts, read 847,665 times
Quote:
No wonder OP's so upset all the time.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
No wonder OP's so upset all the time.
Hey, OP, we gotta get you a woman.

(Todd Rundgren - ever heard of him?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive