Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 07:03 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,739,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
This doesn't seem to be the case. Here's what I just found.

2012 Camry LE new: $23,220

2020 Camry LE new: $24,529.

I guarantee you get more for your money with the brand new car and only a thousand more? That seems like a good deal to me.
Yes there are some cars that are not more expensive, especially in a sedan segment because sedans have become unwanted. However in general, car prices are much higher than 15 years ago or even 10 years ago. Used car prices for sedans are also not up all that much. No one wants them new or used. In general, both new and used car prices have increased a lot. If you need statistics and sites to understand this just google average new car prices for 2009 vs 2019. Most people are aware of this fact because they have observed new vehicle prices over past ten years. But if you do not have that awareness - google can help you.

It is a good deal. Vehicles no one wants are always a good deal. (Unless you do not want one).

One of the best used car deals out there is the Lincoln Towncar. Why? Very few people want them. However as the poster we are discussing noted, used car prices in general are up compared to ten years ago and sellers are less willing to negotiate. If you do not have the experience to understand that from observation, you can probably get that by a series of google searches as well. Just remember you have to watch for outliers when relying on information reported on the internet. There are always some people posting false or misleading "facts" for one reason or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 10:22 AM

748 posts, read 831,692 times
You just aren't going to get a good deal on a used car - prices are pretty much set.

https://jalopnik.com/here-is-why-you...-us-1823917876

Old 10-03-2019, 11:35 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,523,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
I've been looking for a certified 3 year old Audi (Q5) and have been to two area dealerships.

This will be the 7th car I've purchased (new and "brass hat") but its been 10 years since the last one and things seem to have changed - a lot!
I always had Saabs and after a bit of back and forth at the dealers. we could always come to a deal - I go up and they go down....seems those days are over.
I hate sitting at the salesman's desk and all that entails so I've decided to do all negotiating on line this time.
Thing is, even if the inventory information tells me the car I'm after has been sitting in the dealership for 3 months - no one wants to move much on the price.
Maybe knock 2 or 300.00 off but that's about it.

Is it harder to come to an agreement nowadays or am I just being a hardass?
Thanks very much.

Why don't you post a link to the cars you looked at? Will help us understand your position. Also, a CPO makes it more expensive. A lot more expensive.

I am from Pennsylvania, and there is a large used car dealer called Blue Knob Auto. They price there cars very low. A friend in the business once told me that they make like 300 bucks a car. But, they kill it on the back end. I try to check their website for pricing. So, kind of lets you know what you know a good price.

I also look at the lower priced listing on Autotrader over a large area (say 200 miles). Again, to try and figure out what is possible.

Last edited by robrobrob; 10-03-2019 at 11:49 AM..

Old 10-03-2019, 12:17 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,095,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Why are you letting the dealer price the car?

YOU Price the car. It is your money.

Decide on the car you wish to own. Make, model, year, color, trim etc.

Decide what you want to pay.

Find the car. Present the offer. NO NEGOTIATION. Take it or leave it.

Buy the car, or leave. Don't become "friends" with the salesman. He is NOT your friend. His job is to separate you from as much of your money as possible.

This approach makes the process simple, quick, smooth and hassle free.
I tried that with 3 dealers. First, we wanted a new truck with 3 criteria - all pretty standard; looked at prices, saw the ads for dealer incentives and with a zero % interest loan, it was doable at $30K. Nope, was told no 0% or no dealer incentives. No way, we left. Went to dlr #2, same thing; I am not paying over $30K for a truck I'm going to use maybe once a month. So we looked at used trucks - figured $20K tops fo a 2 yr old - they are on drugs! Only ones we can find under $20 3 owners over 100K miles. Sorry, we'll wait until next year when our main vehicle is paid off (0% loan and it was a special, on-lot Sept purchase. Got the dealer incentives and everything.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:26 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,222,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Why are you buying a used Audi? Those cars are junk and money pits. If anything I would only lease European cars as they are made so poorly these days and cost an arm and a leg to maintain/repair. It's called planned obsolescence and European cars are diligently following this protocol.
Data to support this?

My experience after 5 Audis in my household in the past dozen years are so is that they’ve all been reliable with the exception of our first that had excess oil consumption (but within spec).

Expensive but hardly “junk”.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:32 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,222,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Why in God's name would anyone want to purchase a used German luxury car? The routine maintenance is obscenely expensive.

My wealthy neighbor who has both a Porsche SUV and a Porsche 4 door sedan - just had an oil change/annual maintenance on the sedan. Cost for the sedan for the oil change? $475.75.

Get yourself a new Toyota for the same price as a used Audi. Hello !
Hint: you don’t have to use the dealer.

I get an oil change from an independent for my used BMW for $120, and that includes any “inspection”. The independent is better than any dealer too.

It’s not Jiffy Lube prices (which with synthetic oil isn’t that much less) but I don’t have a kid making $9 an hour working on my car either. I tried that route and regretted it years ago.

If all you want is a point to point vehicle then sure, a Toyota trumps a Porsche. But there are reasons why someone would want a car that’s actually enjoyable to drive.

Old 10-03-2019, 03:06 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,428,614 times
The smaller the dealer, same sales process but less people to "meet and greet" in the process.

If you want a big dealer to sell it to you, go on a Saturday, late in the afternoon.

If it's in your budget, treat yourself, and look for an SQ5

Old 10-03-2019, 06:26 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,251,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Before I bought one new car (Avalon Hybrid) I looked at the Honda Accord Hybrid high trim. The passenger seat does not go up so the wifey isn't happy (she is short). I asked the sales person if Honda might be changing things in 2019 (this was a year ago). He answered "I don't think you should buy this car" and shrugged.

I really liked the car. The fact that Honda won't listen to customers and spend $10 for seat height adj. is ridiculous.
Sigh...if only it were that easy. Do you have any idea how many customers request certain things on vehicles? Literally hundreds, and sometimes a whole lot more than that. There is simply no way to give everyone what they want.
Everyone thinks their idea or suggestion is the best one because it’s important to them, that’s understandable. But it takes a tremendous amount of study and research just to implement a small change, and your $10.00 seat height adjuster can take many, many thousands of dollars of up front money to do the required research.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:50 PM

3,316 posts, read 1,811,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Why in God's name would anyone want to purchase a used German luxury car? The routine maintenance is obscenely expensive.

My wealthy neighbor who has both a Porsche SUV and a Porsche 4 door sedan - just had an oil change/annual maintenance on the sedan. Cost for the sedan for the oil change? $475.75.

Get yourself a new Toyota for the same price as a used Audi. Hello !
When wealth > time the equation is different.

Working: Bought a 2yo 1998 Toyota for $13k off lease and drove it for 16 years. Amazing vehicle.
Retired: Bought a new Lexus Rc 350 F Sport for just under $50k. I love this car.

Cars are not always utility purchases, at least not for some.

Buy the best car you you can at a price you can afford.

That's all most of us do.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:42 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,335,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
1. Some car dealers today (new or used) refuse to let any buyer pay straight cash for their vehicle purchase, without a mandatory markup-fee for cash purchase only, or you are required to use their in-house financing to get the lower price shown on website. You are not allowed to use your own preferred lender (like credit union) with lower APR rate, and they kindly ask you to leave.
I checked with a good friend of mine yesterday on this very topic. He has worked in the financing department of various auto dealerships for over 20 years. He says this is one of the biggest falsehoods about purchasing cars. They do not/would not raise the price of a vehicle if someone were to pay cash. He agreed that the dealership would make additional money if the purchaser used one of their preferred lenders, but said that they are in the business of moving inventory and wouldn't inflate the price of a car arbitrarily if someone were paying cash, that would be bad for business and give that dealership a very bad reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive