Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 02:49 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times

Advertisements

For me, cheap ethanol gas is not cheaper than more expensive non-ethanol gas.
The fuel economy penalty is large enough that the cheap gas ends up being more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 03:53 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
our 4 cars get cheap gas.
they are still running fine.
1999/2004/2006/2012.
that is our "article".

Old 10-05-2019, 04:11 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
I have 4 work trucks 1 Ford and 3 Toyotas. I drive one of the toyotas and I put in Costco gas because its very close to my house and I use my 4% cash back credit card on it. One of the other tacomas is driven by one of my empolyees and he puts in generic gas from a gas station close to him. They both have about the same amount of miles in the 250K+ and I did notice the one that has used cheap gas for most of its life has more carbon buildup. I first noticed it in the EGR tubes and then I pulled the plugs and it had a lot of carbon on the pistons. I pulled the plugs on the other truck that has used the Costco gas and the carbon build up is less and has no EGR buildup. Not sure if its 100% due to the fuel, but I think there is some truth to the additives that top tier uses.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:19 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
The gas that goes into the gas depot is all the same. The gas that goes out of the gas depot is not all the same,. Some goes out just like it came in and some of it has proprietary additives.

Some of the top tier stations have their own fuel bunks. The gas comes into the depot, it fills their name brand bunks and then additives are added at that point. The tanker trucks headed to deliver gasoline to them are only filling up at their own name brand bunk. Fuel truck drivers must be carded for that name brand bunk or they can't fill their truck there.

Some brands get a tanker truck full and at that point, they add their special additive. So the fuel coming into the depot is not the same as the fuel that is going out to that name brand station.

The gasoline without additives is cheaper because no one has to pay for the additives. (or the advertising)

Old 10-05-2019, 04:52 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Does Tier 1 gasoline reverse or reduce the carbon if one switches to Tier 1 after using non Tier one a whlie? Does alternating make a difference? I use Sam's club a lot because of a lot more locations near my routes and especially no the high way to OKlahoma or NM. Thanks in advance, think I may know the answer but wanted to ask

Old 10-05-2019, 05:28 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
Shell and all the stations have been 3.50 a gallon or so for 93. Sams club has 93 for 2.80. I called the supplier for Sams club, and confirmed its actually BP fuel, same fuel that goes to BP stations down road charging 3.40-3.50.

I am now 100% Sams club fuel member forever. My car requires 93 lol. sucks
I put 50K miles on an Audi A8L (req'd 93) and I never put anything but 87 in it..........car ran fine, lease was up and I returned it.

If your car is high performance you might hear the pinging, if it isn't high performance 87 will be fine

Old 10-05-2019, 05:59 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Get the gas from a major retailer and make sure it meets the minimum octane spec in your owner's manual.

No reason it needs to be any more complicated than that.

Well, also avoid ethanol in small engines or older carbureted vehicles. But that goes without saying... I hope

Old 10-05-2019, 06:16 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
There is no "cheap" gas. Most gas comes from 1 or 2 different suppliers. In most cases, the off brand gas stations get their gas from the same people who the more famous gas stations get theirs from.
The label doesn't count, What I want is some deep pocket from which to get reimbursed if a tankful damages my car. The one tankful that I got that was pure drinkable water (the tank farm's lid had been left off during a 6" snowstorm in March 1978 was from Mobil. They happily repaired the damage, drained the tank, gave me a fresh tankful of gas and gave me a $50 gift certificate for the inconvenience. Would Handy-Dandy have done that? I wouldn't want to find out.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:09 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
I am no mechanic but I read in an article that there is no big difference in buying/using cheap gas vs expensive gas?

Is it true?

There are always perfect substitutes when you think of gas as a commodity?

Buying/getting expensive gas have little impact on the way a vehicle is run ?

Which are the top5 gas brands out there? 76? Arco? Valero?
There are only so many refineries out there.....a refiner makes a 3 million gallon batch of gas in a big white tank....you negotiate a price and get your additives in and voila.....you can name it anything you want

Old 10-05-2019, 09:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
The base fuel is the same. The only difference is the additive package. I have used all different fuels and I never had any one make a difference n how my vehicles run. Ive used Arco regularly and I have yet to have a issue with that “cheap gas”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive