Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 07:29 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times

Advertisements

I'm 6'4'' 1/2.
Very broad shouldered.
I do absolutely recommend Highlander Limited.

Very comfortable, sits 5 adults plus driver just fine, is very family oriented.

Very reliable.
Get slightly used one to meet your bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 07:46 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Going to try a 2015 Volvo XC70 wagon today.....supposedly has great front seats and good headroom.
Nope. Decent seats, but when I put the seat up I hit the ceiling big time. (Has a sunroof and that seems to take an inch off the headroom in most models).

Old 10-06-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I'm 6'4'' 1/2.
Very broad shouldered.
I do absolutely recommend Highlander Limited.

Very comfortable, sits 5 adults plus driver just fine, is very family oriented.

Very reliable.
Get slightly used one to meet your bill.
Do you raise your seat up as high as it will go, and keep the seatback fairly straight up vertical?

Old 10-06-2019, 08:23 PM

932 posts, read 543,138 times
I would suggest that you wait a year or 2 and buy an electric vehicle instead.

Doing the same. Electric vehicles are cheaper in the long run due to very less moving parts. Its literally just a battery on wheels.

And the initial cost is going to reduce quite a bit.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:32 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
GMC Acadia SLE trim, it sits very, very low, with very-high headroom.
Enclave and Acadia are 3 row, 8 passenger.

Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrance are 2 row, 5 passenger.

Last edited by motormaker; 10-06-2019 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: Add more info.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:42 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
I'm 6'4 and pretty much every suv or "suv" I've been in is just fine. I always setup the seat in a proper race position. Explorer, Durango, Tahoe, 4Runner, Suburban, Escalade, Highlander, Sante Fe, XC90, Cherekee, Compass

Old 10-07-2019, 05:11 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Evidently, the 2019 Foresters have all the new computerized safety features that can make driving a total pain in the you-know-what. Tries to drive the car for you, at the slightest suggestion that something may be wrong. (I think they call it EyeSight).
No thanks to that, and the automatic start/stop at stoplights.
Also, I am reading that the arm rest is way too low.
Yes, newer Foresters have the Eyesight system (last generation too). And it keeps getting more sophisticated. From independent testing results I have seen, it's the best performing safety suite. It doesn't "try to drive the car for you". I quite like it and I've personally had my bacon saved by it once or twice. I haven't had any problems worth mentioning.

I am on the Forester forum, and there are some owners who don't like the system. Mostly, it appears they either don't understand the system, or in some cases, they want to drive like an idiot in traffic and it's going off on them. Overall, Forester sales are actually climbing rapidly. Annual sales have nearly tripled from a decade ago. So these concerns, although they do exist, aren't widely shared.

Subaru Forester US car sales figures

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 10-07-2019 at 05:37 AM..

Old 10-07-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I'm 6'4 and pretty much every suv or "suv" I've been in is just fine. I always setup the seat in a proper race position. Explorer, Durango, Tahoe, 4Runner, Suburban, Escalade, Highlander, Sante Fe, XC90, Cherekee, Compass
Do you lift the seat bottom up as high as it will go? That's when I run into troubles.
The XC90 had a sunroof..........it not, then it probably would have fit okay. The 4Runner I tested just was not quite comfortable enough. I am going to try a 2019 Santa Fe.

Wish I had enough to spend for a Suburban or Escalade, because I am sure that they would fit me well.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:49 AM

Would love to hear from someone who has been in an Atlas as well as a 2019 Santa Fe. (I know......two very different cars). I need to know how the drivers seats are.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:33 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
I spent all summer looking at and test-driving SUV's in this group, although I was more focused on seats with good back support, leg room, and drive quality, and I don't have the height issue you do. I would definitely check out the Acadia, which contrary to a post above, does come in 5-passenger seating and does not mandate a third row. That was one of the roomiest I tested. The Passport drives like a mini-van, the Highlander's seats were uncomfortable for me after about 3 minutes, and the Volvo's handling was sluggish. I concur that a sunroof with decrease the headroom by about an inch. Did you dislike the 4-Runner's seats or the drive? If the latter, look for one with the KDSS suspension system...you may find that more to your liking. If you can live with a third row, I would think a Tahoe/Yukon or a Pathfinder might fit you well. Or a used Xterra, if you can find a low-mileage one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive