Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 04:56 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Would love to hear from someone who has been in an Atlas as well as a 2019 Santa Fe. (I know......two very different cars). I need to know how the drivers seats are.
We had an Atlas as a rental vehicle this summer. Seat comfort was good for my 6'2" driving husband and my tallish self on the passenger side. Vehicle tended to be a little slippy when turning from a stop. And as someone who only got about 75K decent miles on our 2003 Passat before the gremlins got bad, I remain skeptical of VW's long term reliability.

Spousal Unit is comfortable in my parents' 2016 Forrester and out next vehicle is probably going to be another Outback, which has come a long way with cabin comfort from the fourth generation of the model onward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 05:12 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I'm 6'1", long legged and 'sturdy'. No problems at all in a 2018 CRV.
Yeah, it's that extra 3 inches that's the killer.................you would not believe how many vehicles I ALMOST fit into..........

Old 10-08-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
We had an Atlas as a rental vehicle this summer. Seat comfort was good for my 6'2" driving husband and my tallish self on the passenger side. Vehicle tended to be a little slippy when turning from a stop. And as someone who only got about 75K decent miles on our 2003 Passat before the gremlins got bad, I remain skeptical of VW's long term reliability.

Spousal Unit is comfortable in my parents' 2016 Forrester and out next vehicle is probably going to be another Outback, which has come a long way with cabin comfort from the fourth generation of the model onward.
As for the Atlas' roadhandling and reliability.....honestly, at this point, I am ready to get the checkbook out for the first really comfortable car I find............I won't even care if it has wheels or an engine..........

(Almost true.......lol).

Old 10-08-2019, 05:22 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:
Even the Tiguan is good?? I thought it would be too small. I will have to try it when I'm at the VW place tomorrow.
The Forester seating was made bigger for '19, I believe.
Even the Golf/GTI is great for tall folks. Pretty much anything in the VW lineup.

Tiguan, while technically a compact, is bigger in every measure than my old 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The 18+ model anyway. Oodles of back seat and cargo space too. It has a 3rd row option we don't have. 5 passengers probably actually more comfortable in the 2 row than cramming someone in the small 3rd row. Had ours 2 years now, problem free.

I hear you on comfort being the number one factor. I'd love a convertible if I fit in any and didn't have to scrunch down to see traffic lights.

Been thinking about picking up an Element for dog hauling/hiking trips/etc. Just wish that the steering wheel telescoped. I can't really sit in the passenger seat either as my knees are in the tray there.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Even the Golf/GTI is great for tall folks. Pretty much anything in the VW lineup.

Tiguan, while technically a compact, is bigger in every measure than my old 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The 18+ model anyway. Oodles of back seat and cargo space too. It has a 3rd row option we don't have. 5 passengers probably actually more comfortable in the 2 row than cramming someone in the small 3rd row. Had ours 2 years now, problem free.

I hear you on comfort being the number one factor. I'd love a convertible if I fit in any and didn't have to scrunch down to see traffic lights.

Been thinking about picking up an Element for dog hauling/hiking trips/etc. Just wish that the steering wheel telescoped. I can't really sit in the passenger seat either as my knees are in the tray there.
The Element I have does have telescoping steering wheel.......not that much, but enough to help.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:52 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:
The Element I have does have telescoping steering wheel.......not that much, but enough to help.
What year? Thought they all just had tilt, no telescope. Leaves you with a driving a bus feel.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
What year? Thought they all just had tilt, no telescope. Leaves you with a driving a bus feel.
Just checked and you are right.....it only tilts. And it sure does feel like driving a bus.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:00 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
My BIL had a Ford Edge and I was impressed with its size when I sat in it (6'-1" tall, wide shoulders), but I didn't spend any real time in there. The Flex was "enormous" to me, almost too big. I loved the ergonomics in my Expedition, but that's the wrong class for you, as you stated you're looking for a 2-row. I always found the FCA variants (GC, Durango) to be a bit cramped on headroom. I'd prefer to have a smaller, more efficient vehicle, but the problem I have is their making 4-door vehicles on short wheelbases, there's simply not enough room and you've got to "squeeze" into the driver's cockpit, and then look left right into the "B" pillar. I'm hoping for a 2-door variant of the upcoming "Baby Bronco", but knowing Ford, they'll probably screw it up.

One other option, I've sat in a Ford Transit Connect and found it very roomy, but again, it's not an SUV.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:07 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The 2019/2020 Forester has tons of headroom for a compact SUV, about 3/4in more than the Passport - with sunroof, it's 40.2in Forester vs 39.5in Passport.
I suggest checking out the Subarus too. We have a 2018 Impreza wagon. It looks small from the outside but I had 2 grown men, one over 6 feet tall, riding in the back seats. I was driving. I asked the tall guy if he wanted me to slide my seat forward and he declined, saying that he had plenty of room where the seat was. I can only imagine that a Forester would have even more rear leg room.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:32 PM

7 posts, read 14,766 times
I drive both a '15 FORD Edge and a '19 Ford Escape, and to be honest, the smaller Escape has the best headroom and legroom in the front seat. Also the height of the front seat has a wide adjustability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive