Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 07:37 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I got a huge door ding from one inconsiderate idiot! It is blue paint, about 1 inch long/wide swipe on the panel, and another 1 inch long streak on the door guard.

Anyway, it is huge and very noticeable. We have to get it taken care of. (what jerks do this, it is so annoying)

How do you remove these things? Can you buff them out yourself somehow? Or is taking it somewhere the only option? Would that be expensive? We are pretty handy with cars. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 08:25 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Sometimes they can do "paintless" dent repairs if they can pop the dent out. Then maybe they can buff the other paint off if it did not remove any of your paint.

I'm SOOO WITH YOU ON THESE IDIOTS!!! They have no respect at all for themselves let alone others to do such. If your car has to be repainted it takes down the value. If it is a "luxury" car then some people think, "rich sob, they can afford to fix it themselves". I don't care if they do it to my 98 Chevy P/U as it is in GREAT shape and dents DO NOT HELP in keeping it that way. I've actually even been IN the car when someone has done it. THEY DON'T CARE! A friend was coming out of the store and was about 5 spaces from her car and watched as someone backed out across from her and hit her bumper pretty hard and messed it up. They kept right on going as she started chasing them in the parking lot.

Just look at the way people park nowadays. They just whip right in to no regard if they are even straight, between the lines, over and blocking someone else from even getting out of the spot or even INTO their car. I won't park between idiots like that at all. That and if I notice the car has extra long doors I don't park by it either. I'm pretty anal about my cars and taking care of them.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:37 AM

We purposefully park way out in the lots or park on an end spot to mitigate the damage these idiots do. We like to keep our cars for a long time. Just truly ignorant.

The first ding happened in a gas station where an idiot backed his trailer right into our side door. And then of course left. I mean, it is a 6 year old car, but generally we keep our cars until they don't run anymore.

I will google "paintless dent repair" and see what I come up with.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:07 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
We had just pulled into a mall parking lot and were sitting in the car, planning our "order of battle" for the stores. It was a VERY windy day. A car pulled into the spot next to us. As both of the girls in the car got out at the same time. the wind blew the passenger's door into our driver's door. I felt really sorry for them. Fortunately, we were able to get our detail guy to buff it out. But, yes, we hate the inconsiderate jerks that just don't care when they open their door on you. Best of luck with the repair!

Old 04-18-2008, 11:11 AM

There is a detail shop around here, maybe we can ask them.

It wasn't even windy yesterday was the thing. I could not blame them almost if it was the wind ... this was just stupidity. I mean, the car costed $18,000, and to replace it with a new one now is like $25,000 - cars are expensive. Don't people care what their own cars look like?

Old 04-18-2008, 11:18 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Yesterday I got a huge door ding from one inconsiderate idiot! It is blue paint, about 1 inch long/wide swipe on the panel, and another 1 inch long streak on the door guard.

Anyway, it is huge and very noticeable. We have to get it taken care of. (what jerks do this, it is so annoying)

How do you remove these things? Can you buff them out yourself somehow? Or is taking it somewhere the only option? Would that be expensive? We are pretty handy with cars. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!
Don't try to remove the ding yourself! Utilize a paintless dent repair service - every town has companies that specialize in this. There's a lot of practice and training, and most importantly specialized tools to use - and all dents are not created equal. Most automotive dealerships hire paintless dent repair companies to work on their used cars. For 50.00-100.00 you can have a good sized dent removed in about 15 minutes. Dent Doctor is just one national company you may be able to use.

If you don't see anything in the phonebook just call up a local automotive dealership to get the contact they use.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:21 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
There is a detail shop around here, maybe we can ask them.

It wasn't even windy yesterday was the thing. I could not blame them almost if it was the wind ... this was just stupidity. I mean, the car costed $18,000, and to replace it with a new one now is like $25,000 - cars are expensive. Don't people care what their own cars look like?
No they don't. I have a 2002 Suburban and spent about $1000 last year getting all of the door dings taken out along w/ the scrap someone left when they must have backed out and hit mine on the back end. I was P.O.'d at them and I'm ANAL about where and how I park. Then the next week hubby takes it to a football game and guess what...... a DEEP door ding w/ red paint (my car is black). Then w/in the last 2 months someone must have done the same thing and went down the side of it and scraped it. It is obvious my car is well taken care of and this TICKS ME OFF!!!

Anyway, the other day I pointed out a VERY VALUABLE lesson to my children. We pulled up at a red light next to another Suburban that was about the same age as mine. Dents all OVER THE THING including the hood and it was not hail damage. Paint rubbed off in places, mirror hanging down and broken. This car had every extra mine did. I pointed out to my kids the car and then told them that one day those people are going to want to sell their car or trade it and they will get less for it. I will get MORE for mine and will be able to get further ahead. Yet those that don't care and do this damage and don't fix it always are the ones complaining the loudest that "life isn't fair", "I can't get ahead", blah, blah, blah. WELL, TAKE CARE OF WHAT YOU HAVE AND MAYBE LIFE WILL HAND YOU BETTER DEALS!

Old 01-02-2012, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,853 times
Default People are rude!!

My wife and I had parked at a store away from the main parking due to people neglect... As we were returning to our car, a couple were pushing their shopping cart from another store. We noticed that they obviuosly had issues for what ever reason, not with each other though, but clearly very upset! As they approched their car a few spaces away from our brand new 1995 Mustang 5.0, canary yellow. They shoved their nearly empty shopping cart right into my rear bumper, HARD!!! I came unglued started yelling "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!!" at that point they glared at us, grabbed their stuff out of their cart, jumped into their car and sped off... Needless to say I ran to my car to see if and what damage had been done. fortunately that year Mustang had a large plastic type bumper that didn't show much damage at all, although I felt like chasing the jerks down and throw a rock through their windshield. I didn't though, just fummed for a bit thankfull the damage was slight.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I saw a youtube video about getting out minor dents with a blow dryer and compressed air. Worth a try. It is cheap... and well won't cause any damage.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:46 AM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times
I always park way out of the way in a parking lot. I saw this lady one time. She was parked in front of me. She flung open the door right into the car next to her. I see her reach out to hold onto the door to get out, holding the armrest, pushing the door into the car she just dented. This huge woman gets out, as she does, her car lift up as her fat azz gets out, her door scraping up the car next to her. She left a huge dent when she got out, along with a deep scrape on the other car. Some people just dont care. Yes I park way out of they way, even if its raining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive