Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 09:06 AM

289 posts, read 255,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
It's not everyday you're going to come across an individual selling a relatively new vehicle with very low miles. I'd be wondering, too.

Maybe for an estate, or somebody's life situation changed unexpectedly, and it no longer fits their needs. Other than those reasons, I can't think of much else why someone would want to unload a perfectly good, barely-used vehicle.
It isn't exceedingly uncommon to find cars like the Subaru example. Typically, they are pickup trucks, Jeep Wranglers (and now Gladiators), Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, Subaru STis and maybe one or two others. The scenarios you suggested are definitely reasons that people unload low mileage vehicles, but the other big reason is irresponsible buyers. Many people buy the above mentioned vehicles not realizing that they can't actually afford them. This usually happens during times when the economy is good, or supposedly good, and high risk buyers are approved for financing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 09:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Which mass produced vehicles are incapable of holding a baby seat?

Regardless, it’s rather irrelevant - the point is that two adults can save a tremendous amount of money by going a significant amount of time without a car payment. If that means being forced to trade in their current vehicle for something of similar value that’s more kid friendly - so be it...drive THAT kid friendly vehicle a long time and cease the perpetual payments.

Is that really hard to figure out?

BTW - I really am curious about which vehicles won’t hold a child. A while ago I was looking at the Honda Civic Type R and happened to see conversations about child seats. Some Type R owners were posting pictures with TWO baby seats in the back.

Let’s not pretend that suggesting no car payments is the modern equivalent to walking to school 10 miles uphill in the snow while barefoot.
The biggest issue to most people is reliability, safety and space. Sure you may be able to put two child seats, but all the other stuff takes up room.

I keep my vehicles as long as they are reliable. Once they become unreliable or I hit 200,000 miles I get rid of them. my wife’s car is about there at 190,000. Still looks and runs great but it’s time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28CarsLater View Post
Wrangler I take it?
Most likely. It’s the only Jeep that retains some value. Could be a SRT

Old 10-26-2019, 02:58 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
And that’s ok too. I’m not judging you. Btw most cars made are basically appliances. Anything “fun to drive” isn’t gonna be found under 50k. At least not new.

It’s just my observation and contribution to the discussion. Doesn’t matter to me what I drive to work. It was bought only for a specific purpose. And that was to rack up as many miles as I could as cheaply as I could as a commuter vehicle. It literally lived from home to work work to home. It did it’s job admirably. Other than a few wear items it was absolutely reliable. As far as I’m concerned the car it could of been anything Camry Corolla etc. hell at one time I was looking at a Mustang Cobra or Camaro SS but I thought it was too tacky not to mention it was gonna kill the wallet and the car itself.

I don’t see the point of buying a nice car just to rack up 25/30,000 miles on in a year and kill it with stop and go traffic. I have nice cars I drive on weekends. As far as money....I got plenty of it. I have a vehicle I enjoy driving. If I felt the need to buy something else to enjoy because I no longer enjoy my current vehicle well I would go buy something else.
Even if I go buy a car I really enjoy driving, where am I going to enjoy it? Driving 20 mph in stop and go traffic? Getting passed by the guy in a Fiesta? No, if I buy such car it’s for weekend fun.
The part I bolded is so not true! The most fun car I've ever driven is a Tesla and you can get a brand new one for under $40K - a Model 3. So much fun to drive!

Old 10-27-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
The part I bolded is so not true! The most fun car I've ever driven is a Tesla and you can get a brand new one for under $40K - a Model 3. So much fun to drive!
oh ok so your one example trumps the whole statement? Please dude. Your example of under 40k is a BASE model with no options. You add a few options you’re touching or over 50k. So you’re right the base Model 3 would cost $35,000. Add tax license you’re touching 38/40k.. At that price the car’s range is 220 miles but you will have the option to upgrade the batteries to have a 310 mile range for $9,000 and pay a additional $5,000 to get the Enhanced Autopilot features and another $3,000 to get “full self-driving capability” when it becomes available.

There may be a few cars that are fun to drive at 40k but the majority of cars today (bought new) that are fun cars are going to cost close or more than 50k.

Now if you’re talking used you have a ton of great options at 20-40k

Old 10-27-2019, 01:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Bought my Subaru WRX STI brand new for $38k at the time in 2004. I had to buy a house after 2 years due to having kids I thought dumping the car would be the worst mistake but when I went to sell it. I lost very little compare to the avg. Sold it for $34k, since I had only 18k mi on it. It's one of the few cars that have very little depreciation.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Bought my Subaru WRX STI brand new for $38k at the time in 2004. I had to buy a house after 2 years due to having kids I thought dumping the car would be the worst mistake but when I went to sell it. I lost very little compare to the avg. Sold it for $34k, since I had only 18k mi on it. It's one of the few cars that have very little depreciation.

That’s the only reason it kept its value.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:29 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
oh ok so your one example trumps the whole statement? Please dude. Your example of under 40k is a BASE model with no options. You add a few options you’re touching or over 50k. So you’re right the base Model 3 would cost $35,000. Add tax license you’re touching 38/40k.. At that price the car’s range is 220 miles but you will have the option to upgrade the batteries to have a 310 mile range for $9,000 and pay a additional $5,000 to get the Enhanced Autopilot features and another $3,000 to get “full self-driving capability” when it becomes available.

There may be a few cars that are fun to drive at 40k
but the majority of cars today (bought new) that are fun cars are going to cost close or more than 50k.

Now if you’re talking used you have a ton of great options at 20-40k
Yep, it does trump the whole statement - no one said anything about base models - you said that you couldn't buy a new car that was fun to drive for under $50K, and that was wrong. You can do that, and you even contradicted yourself when you said "there may be a few cars that are fun to drive at 40K."

And I'm not a "dude."

Old 10-29-2019, 04:26 PM

10,481 posts, read 6,999,249 times
A pet peeve of mine are people who buy cars based on fuel economy but totally are blind to the face that depreciation costs will 'trump it' ten fold.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:51 PM

802 posts, read 1,367,174 times
depends on which vehicle. but mostly yes.
leasing is better option.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:50 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
A pet peeve of mine are people who buy cars based on fuel economy but totally are blind to the face that depreciation costs will 'trump it' ten fold.
Again, depreciation (or "resale value") is irrelevant if you plan to drive the car into the ground. Most people frugal enough to buy a car based on fuel economy probably plan to do just that. Could you conceivably save a few thousand by buying used and get lucky enough to still get a dozen more years of use out of it? Maybe, but it's less likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive