Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 10:07 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
I am fully aware and understand your point. However, Doc fees are not state mandated but just about every dealer tacks them on. Some dealers here in NC don’t have them but their max allowed is $800 so naturally most have them set at the max. The Max varies per state.
You might want to look into that. Here in CA there is Doc fee of around $90. It is not a government fee but the law states that it must be charged and must appear on the conditional sales contract. The dealer could discount the car by $90 but the fee still has to be charged. I would guess most states are the same way. I imagine it is because it is itemized as a "fee" and therefore must be charged to all buyers equally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 10:30 AM

686 posts, read 806,008 times
Interesting.

Without diving in too much, there are dealers here that state they charge no additional fees and specifically mention doc fees. I wonder if they do not actually have the line item for these? The state max for NC is $800 but there is no requirement to charge this at all. The dealers will just charge what they want up to the max. NC is apparently
one of the highest doc fee states in the country according to the google with an average doc fee of around $500.

Unless you buy private party you are kinda stuck. I generally just focus on the otd price and tell them I don’t care what the numbers look like as long as I like the big one at the bottom of the page but seeing those fees on the page always fires me up.

Last edited by Familyman6; 10-09-2019 at 11:58 AM..

Old 10-09-2019, 10:38 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
Interesting.

Without diving in too much, there are dealers here the state they charge no additional fees and specifically mention doc fees. I wonder if they do not actually have the line item for these? The state max for NC is $800 but there is no requirement to charge this at all. The dealers will just charge what they want up to the max. NC is apparently
one of the highest doc fee states in the country according to the google with an average doc fee of around $500.

Unless you buy private party you are kinda stuck. I generally just focus on the otd price and tell them I don’t care what the numbers look like as long as I like the big one at the bottom of the page.
What dealership did you speak to that sells on average 600 units a month?

Old 10-09-2019, 11:43 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
actually I think its gotten much better thanks to the internet. Pretty much I can look up prices, value etc on the net so by the time I get to the dealer I'm good to go.

luckily I'm now at the age where I can pay cash for the cars so no need for the back and forth to the "manager" or lending guy etc.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:02 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,897 times
I was born in 1980 and was raised to pretty much be skeptical about any salesperson or service that wanted your money, especially when it comes to a large sum of money. I quickly learned to evaluate my value for my money compared to the product or service. Sometimes a salesperson will give you their expertise, show you different ways to use the product, or how it can enhance your quality of life. In these cases, they are injecting more value into the product or service and I've always felt that they should be compensated for that.

However, in the Information Age we have most of the information at our fingertips and we can learn more from a 5 minute Youtube clip or product review site than from your average salesperson. The value they bring has diminished and often times they are just trying to make a sale and get their commission with as little work as possible. I have never trusted the dealership and learned to wrench myself. Though as I've gotten older and lazier, I take our vehicles to our in-law's indy garage. He works about 5X faster than me and is a pro; I truly value his service and pay him 40% over this rate (they charge 50% less than dealership rates).

As for the end of the dealership...it's probably not going to happen. Tesla has had issues cracking the dealership model with direct sales. There's such a strong lobbying effort between states and the auto industry that Tesla cannot sell in every state. Furthermore the slack in efficiency with the dealership model means more jobs for sales, parts, finance agents, and mechanics. However, I don't think it's too much to ask for them to provide a better service and rip us off a little less...

Old 10-09-2019, 12:31 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
I do not appreciate the recent trend for salesmen to try to "schedule you in", and you are "supposed" to show up at that time.

Really rubs me the wrong way. They act like they're doctors..........

Old 10-09-2019, 12:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I do not appreciate the recent trend for salesmen to try to "schedule you in", and you are "supposed" to show up at that time.

Really rubs me the wrong way. They act like they're doctors..........
So tell them I’ll be there at x time. Make them wait for you. They aren’t “scheduling anyone in” it’s just another bs tactic to get you to believe they are so busy. Most of the sales guys can be seen huddling out front bs’ing waiting for a guppie to swim in.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:36 PM

266 posts, read 259,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
They act like they're doctors..........
performing colonoscopies.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:05 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,462 times
My latest purchase was very quick and easy.
I had my financing already lined up at my credit union.
I sold my old car privately in 2 days.

My issues are dealer service departments.
They are horrible to call on the telephone, hold please.....
Service advisers short and rude, maybe from working 60 hour a week.
Poor quality control of work performed and it is not getting any better due to technology.
I try to give my dealer all the easy work as well as the warranty work.
This has been tough. I don't know how some of these places stay open.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
performing colonoscopies.
Yeah standing behind you with both hands on your shoulders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
My latest purchase was very quick and easy.
I had my financing already lined up at my credit union.
I sold my old car privately in 2 days.

My issues are dealer service departments.
They are horrible to call on the telephone, hold please.....
Service advisers short and rude, maybe from working 60 hour a week.
Poor quality control of work performed and it is not getting any better due to technology.
I try to give my dealer all the easy work as well as the warranty work.
This has been tough. I don't know how some of these places stay open.
This is why people are buying more high end cars. When my wife takes her Infiniti in thecdealer they treat her like she just bought her car there yesterday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive