Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 01:57 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I wonder if realtor.com is inflating those numbers to oversell the value of a pre-existing EVSE line. They are popular in new construction. I say this because according to Tesla and other EV forums, most pay less than $1K with the average being about $700.....
Cost, for the 14-50 outlet installed, was $900 dollars, on Cape Cod (which is a pretty pricey part of the nation).

The trench was dug by an indentured servant (nephew), so that saved us some money.

Nephew, who worked for room and board (and a lot of food...).

The installed outlet.

A garden hose box, which I use to store the EV charger handle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 02:03 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Cost, for the 14-50 outlet installed, was $900 dollars, on Cape Cod (which is a pretty pricey part of the nation).

The trench was dug by an indentured servant (nephew), so that saved us some money.

Nephew, who worked for room and board (and a lot of food...).

The installed outlet.

A garden hose box, which I use to store the EV charger handle.

Nice! I got very lucky when I bought my Tesla- my breaker box was about 3 feet away from where I park my car, so I was able to install the NEMA 14-50 for about $30 in parts (plus another $25 for a knockout punch tool since my breaker box ran out of the bigger knockouts on the side where I needed it). I didn't buy a wall charger though, I just use the cable that came free with the car.

Ironically though I ended up nearly never using it as my employer has free EV charging so I charge at work 95% of the time, supercharge 4% of the time (once or twice a month on long weekend drives), and use the home outlet maybe 1% of the time.

This thread is another example of EV hatred on this forum. Not really worth arguing- these people already have their minds made up, no facts or reasonable debate will change that.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:44 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Look up the actual prices of Level 2 charging stations. MOST residential ones average $500 and the installation is only a couple hundred bucks. So about $400-500 if you DIY and $700 if you have it installed AND you get that money back from the electric company in most places EVs are sold. So it's NOT a cost of $1700-2700 at ALL.

Hardwired is $379: https://store.clippercreek.com/lcs-2...category_id=66

Same one with a plug for a 220V outlet is $399. That's just one of many brands available.

Maybe you should try putting less easily disproven "facts" in your posts. I'm getting tired of repeating the same facts to people that can't get it through their heads. The constant repeating of stuff that's been debunked as a right wing talking point against EVs is staggering here, Politics? EVERY goddamn anti-EV post is a political one brought on by oil company shills and anti-Obama types. I'm not even a Democrat and I'm getting quite tired of trying to explain these things over and over again. In every thread.

Batteries don't die quickly. That's a leftover from early Leaf batteries that were air cooled and did have problems in certain environments. And from early Tesla owners who bricked their cars letting them run entirely out of juice. That literally can't happen anymore. Trends have shown that 200k miles+ are possible on stock batteries in these cars. And they cost less to replace than a car engine if you use crate engine pricing to compare to factory battery pricing.

To the OP, the cost of a Tesla Model 3 battery is very much the equivalent of a BMW 3 series engine replacement and will need to be done about as often (i.e. rarely) and much less than the cost of the performance version of the BMW 3 series (ever price out an ///M engine from the factory? Or an AMG engine for Mercedes?) Don't say that the battery is a "hidden cost" on an EV and ignore the cost of rebuilding or replacing the engine on a competing ICE car.
So it’s your word against everything else on the internet. You have no idea how everybody else’s electrical system is set up so you can’t get angry at the statement that they might pay more than you did with some DIY setup.

I don’t know why you care either way. So nobody wants to buy a car with your favorite powertrain in it. Big deal.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:18 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
So it’s your word against everything else on the internet. You have no idea how everybody else’s electrical system is set up so you can’t get angry at the statement that they might pay more than you did with some DIY setup.

I don’t know why you care either way. So nobody wants to buy a car with your favorite powertrain in it. Big deal.
Not close to "everything else on the internet". If do through Tesla it is fixed $1000 includes up to 100 ft of conduit if needed. I added 14-50 plugs at 2 houses, both were under $100 each - many power panels are in the garage or near it, adding the plug can be done with very minimal cost.

Let me correct your statement also - not "So nobody wants to buy" it - Tesla Model 3 is the current #5 best selling car in the US and currently number #1 in Britain and Norway.

What you mean to say is you don't want to buy it, but I bet you have never driven one. I suggest you watch this video - Tesla HATER Drives 2019 Model 3 - https://youtu.be/ZhUEHS4k3-k

Old 10-14-2019, 06:37 PM

109 posts, read 96,172 times
Gas pumps for years have been required to have backup power. At worst in an emergency, a backup generator and an electrician will bring a gas station back on line at a minimal cost in a short time.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...065-story.html[/quote]

After hurricane Sandy, many gas stations in NY ran out of gas or did not have generator to pump gas or both. This went on for at least a couple of weeks.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Not close to "everything else on the internet". If do through Tesla it is fixed $1000 includes up to 100 ft of conduit if needed. I added 14-50 plugs at 2 houses, both were under $100 each - many power panels are in the garage or near it, adding the plug can be done with very minimal cost.

Let me correct your statement also - not "So nobody wants to buy" it - Tesla Model 3 is the current #5 best selling car in the US and currently number #1 in Britain and Norway.

What you mean to say is you don't want to buy it, but I bet you have never driven one. I suggest you watch this video - Tesla HATER Drives 2019 Model 3 - https://youtu.be/ZhUEHS4k3-k
So another anecdote on how much you paid. That doesn’t mean somebody else isn’t in it for more money.

And to clarify your statement, Tesla is the 5th most popular car of a dying market segment. 85 million cars were sold globally last year meaning 99.9% of the world’s car buyers bought something else.
Why do you people care so much about this stuff? You either like your car or you don’t. You shouldn’t need to gain more followers to boost your self confidence.

I don’t plan to buy a lot of stuff I haven’t driven. Why would I want a $50k compact car with a horribly bland interior, ranked among the most unreliable, has chronic part shortages, and the nearest dealer is 3 hours away?

Old 10-14-2019, 09:39 PM

1,069 posts, read 786,948 times
Default Florida gas stations have to wire for backup power since 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoluccm View Post
Gas pumps for years have been required to have backup power. At worst in an emergency, a backup generator and an electrician will bring a gas station back on line at a minimal cost in a short time.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...065-story.html
After hurricane Sandy, many gas stations in NY ran out of gas or did not have generator to pump gas or both. This went on for at least a couple of weeks.[/quote]

Florida has made gas stations become pre-wired for accepting backup power since 2007. With new gas stations in order to get a certificate of occupancy back up power wiring must have been installed. The existing gas stations were required to add wiring to receive backup power if they met a defined criteria. Population or location proximity being within a given distance of an interstate or evacuation route is the main criteria. I would hope that the gas station pre-wire rule has gone nation wide

For those of you who have dealt with Joint Commission, OSHA or Tile 49 of the Federal code I would think pre-wiring gas stations for emergency back-up would be a natural.

Years ago I had stationary Engineering licensees, Part of the job was overseeing HVAC and backup power in an number of hospitals and college campuses. Also spent a number of years as an industrial electrician in some very large operations.

That is why the E.V.'s intrigue me. I see the parts of E.V. motors as if it they drove packing machines or conveyors etc. Also the lane assist sensors being proximity sensors on bottle capers and label placement etc etc. Nothing new under the sun.

Crossing over to the Tesla car ability to come to you at the end of the day GPS combined with a tracking macro program is relatively easy programing.

I really feel that the batteries are the weak link in the E.V. experience. No malice no negativity just experience and logic. 4000 plus connections over the long term in the battery bouncing down the road and with-standing temperatures from 20 below F to 100 F. All that bouncing, expansion and contraction will be interesting over the long term. Nickle Cadmium battery's were the best that existed back in my time. Inspections and weekly testing of the automatic chargers and batteries would reveal a few per hundred installs would fail monthly.

Detailed physical inspections every 6 months on the battery and a good part of the electronics would be highly recommended on any E.V.

May your batteries live forever.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:13 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
So another anecdote on how much you paid. That doesn’t mean somebody else isn’t in it for more money.

And to clarify your statement, Tesla is the 5th most popular car of a dying market segment. 85 million cars were sold globally last year meaning 99.9% of the world’s car buyers bought something else.
Why do you people care so much about this stuff? You either like your car or you don’t. You shouldn’t need to gain more followers to boost your self confidence.

I don’t plan to buy a lot of stuff I haven’t driven. Why would I want a $50k compact car with a horribly bland interior, ranked among the most unreliable, has chronic part shortages, and the nearest dealer is 3 hours away?
Because you’ve spent literally hours on here saying ice cream is terrible, but you’ve never had an ice cream cone. It seems odd to me to have so much passion about something you have zero firsthand experience with.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 10-14-2019 at 10:58 PM..

Old 10-15-2019, 02:07 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
I never said that they didn't - you did - read your own posts.

Quote:

Why do YOU care so much about this stuff? You are wrong about sales, look at the actual data not your "pulled from thin air data" you also conveniently ignore the other part about being #1 in markets - you were wrong and still fail to see it. You also don't know if you like it or not because you have never been in one. A hater is going to hate and you seem to hate anything or anyone saying anything positive about any EV.

The Model 3 is $37k not $50k and is a mid sized sedan. As I pointed out before - the "ranked among most unreliable" was a web site that linked to another with 2 cars reporting minor problems - bad reporting and incorrect. Your comment on interior is an opinion not a fact. I am tired of pointing out all the fallacies in your statements - you get it wrong way more often than right. EVs are not for everyone but quit trying to make it your mission to denigrate EVERYONE who has anything positive to say - get real - you currently add nothing to these discussions.

Last edited by ddeemo; 10-15-2019 at 02:36 AM..

Old 10-15-2019, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Because you’ve spent literally hours on here saying ice cream is terrible, but you’ve never had an ice cream cone. It seems odd to me to have so much passion about something you have zero firsthand experience with.
If you like ice cream, but hate chocolate, is safe to assume you'll hate chocolate ice cream.

Likewise I don't run around telling everybody to try the ice cream I do like because that's what's odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive