Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 08:16 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,847,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I don't understand people who say "What do I need a parking brake for, my car's an automatic" or any such sentiment like that, and view them as unnecessary. I can cite a couple examples right off the top of my head where having a parking brake is helpful/vital.

1. When parking on a hill. Not only does it lock the two rear wheels and make the car more secure when parking on an incline, but in automatic cars they'll be very difficult to get out of park, as the weight of the vehicle is putting the parking paw on a bind and holding the vehicle back instead of the e-brake.
Only a valid argument IF and WHEN you do it in the right sequence.

1 - Stop the car and leave it in "Drive"
2 - Step on the brake pedal to keep the car from rolling backwards or forwards.
3 - Maintain pressure on the foot brake and place the car in "Neutral"
3 - Step on or apply the parking brake fully, then let go of the regular foot brake.
4 - The car should now be able to 'hang' on the parking brake.
4 - Finally, place the Automatic Transmission on the "Park" position.

Again, the car should be "hanging" on the parking brake and not on the locking pin of the Automatic Transmission!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 09:32 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I don't remember of "one single" place where I had to park any of my automobiles on an incline, so it is not needed.
If your vehicle has a manual transmission, and you will only be stopped for a few minutes, and you don't want to shut off the engine, then the parking brake comes in very handy.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:37 AM

93 posts, read 63,195 times
Been driving for 30 years. Have never used a parking brake on an automatic. Used it on my Stick but it' unnecessary on an auto unless you are on a steep hil which we don't have many of here in the ****-cago area.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Hills make a difference. My e-brake or in-gear barely holds my driveway on their own. And think about our friends in the Sierras, Rockies, or Appalachia. You’d want to have both working.
Yes, my husband learned to drive in Nebraska, although in Omaha where there are a few hills. I learned to drive in the Pittsburgh suburbs. I use the brake all the time; he rarely uses it. I told him, where I learned to drive, you don't contemplate your navel about whether or not you need to use it, you just do! He gives me flak for using it in the garage. (We live in the Denver area now, in a hilly area, but yes, the garage floor is flat.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive