Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 06:27 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,603 times

Advertisements

We have a 2018 CX5. Drives nice. Looks nice. Comfortable. Everyone who rides with us likes it a lot. And it’s comparably less expensive than the RAV 4 and the CRV.

Old 10-16-2019, 06:45 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Default Why are Mazda CX-5’s sales so much less than other brands?

My son has owned two Mazdas; a Miata and another that I don't recall the model- a hatchback. He was very pleased with both. BTW, he now drives a Mercedes. He's somewhat of a car nut and an engineer with an advanced degree.

So, my take is that Mazdas are solid vehicles. No reason to doubt the CX-5 is anything less.

As to why they don't sell more, my bet is that Mazda dealerships are relatively rare. Outside of large/medium urban areas, they're scarce. Honda, Toyota, Nissan dealers are common in towns of less than 50,000 not to mention the domestics.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:24 AM

327 posts, read 456,248 times
My mother has a Mazda CX-5 which she loves, and which I drive on occasion when I visit her. Hers is about 4 years old (2015 or 2016). Here's my take:

it's a nice vehicle, but it doesn't do anything so well that it's worth taking a gamble on an unfamiliar brand with a small dealership network.

Interior quality is okay and it drives well. Its fuel economy is barely adequate (maybe 23 mpg in urban/suburban driving). The infotainment system is terrible - graphics from the 80s and a strange setup that makes it difficult to input information or use the radio/music system. It doesn't have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto - I think those were added this year.

It's a perfectly acceptable vehicle, just not a really compelling or outstanding one.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:33 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,987,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
I’m putting this under the general automotive forum instead of Mazda because I’d appreciate feedback in general and it’s possible there are people that decided against a Mazda CX-5 for whatever reason and aren’t looking at the Mazda forum. I hope that’s okay.

I’m about ready to pull the trigger and buy a 2020 Camry XLE 4 cylinder. Before I do, I wanted to see what I’m missing on the Mazda CX-5. A small CUV would be handy at times, but I don’t want a RAV4 or Honda CR-V for several reasons. Performance would be nice, but long-term reliability and longevity are the most important things to me.

What puzzles me is why Mazda CX-5 U.S. sales YTD through September are so much less than the RAV4 and CR-V.

US SUV Sales Figures by Model | GCBC

Toyota RAV4 324,622
Honda CR-V 280,739
Mazda CX-5 113,700

Even Camry’s sold more than CX-5’s, which surprised me considering all the rage about CUV’s these days.

US Passenger Car Sales Figures by Model | GCBC

Camry 258,456

So what am I missing? Why don’t CX-5’s sell like the others? Here are some things I’ve been questioning:

Does it have a poor reliability rating by Consumer Reports? I’ve read conflicting things about its reliability, and I can’t imagine it would come close to the Camry anyway, which is why I’ll probably still proceed to buy the Camry.

Does it have a really poor resale value?

Are they expensive to maintain and repair and not mechanic friendly (I want something inexpensive to maintain because I have a BMW now!)?

Are parts not readily available if you need something fixed?

Is it because the CX-5 only has two generations and only been around since 2013 and not proven like the others?

Does Mazda not stand behind their product after the sale?

Does it cost more to insure?

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I don’t understand the sales figures because I've read great things about the CX-5 and people seem to like it. I was shocked that Scotty was recently positive about it, which made me think I should consider it before I sign on the dotted line for the Camry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByOA...em-uploademail

Here are a few other examples:

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...act-suv-truck/

https://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-5/2...sumer-reviews/

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/mazda/cx-5/

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...-door-suv/2019

This site indicates the second generation improved significantly since the first one. They also say it’s generally a good bet although I’m concerned that the main complaints are 35% transmission and 21% engine. If I got one, I’d buy a 2019 or 2020 and not an AWD.

Mazda CX-5 Problems and Complaints - Mazda Problems

2017-2018 Mazda CX-5 Problems - Mazda Problems
I am on my 2nd CX5.

They are IIHS Top+ Safety picks. They are VERY highly rated in reliability by CR. People just don't really know about them like they do the RAV/CRV. My insurance is sensible. Scotty is a hack but makes a ton of money off his YT, so whatever. Maintenance is the easiest and cheapest of anything I've owned thus far. Resale isn't like Honda or Toyota, but it's not bad either. I'd consider it average/high average. I flooded a diff crossing a stream. Mazda took care of the $2700 bill for me when it died 2mo later. I have nothing but love for Mazda as a company, after that.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
What's to love?

It is a DULL AS DISHWATER copycat CUV with no redeeming qualities that set it apart from the pack.

- It doesn't have exceptional power.
Mine has 250 horsepower/310# of torque. 0-60 in 6.2 seconds per car and driver. Enough to handle the 6.2 SVT Raptor that wanted some the other day, as well as the 2008-ish Civic SI from a roll.
- It doesn't have exceptional quality.
Mine is pretty awesome. No rattles. Like it was carved from billet. Interior is great. Ride is stellar, great feedback from the suspension while being composed over bumps, etc. Sound isolation is great. 67dB at 70mph per C&D, and it seems it. Very refined.
- It doesn't have exceptional features.
I really like my HUD, radar cruise control, cooled seats, but that's just me...
- It doesn't have an exceptional price.
Find me a comparable CUV under $40K.
- It doesn't have exceptional marketing.
This, is very true.
It deserves to fade away into the background, and it will not be missed. It's a Mazda, but it is not a model of character like a Miata or an RX7.
CX5 has a ton of character and without it, I can't think of anything that fills its niche.

My lifetime average, btw, is at 26.5mpg over 21,XXX miles.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:42 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Subaru outsells both VW and Mazda in the US. Because Subaru has the niche brand mentality. People buy their cars if they fall into the outdoor or non-mainstream brand mentality.

No. Subaru has always sold to the "cheap 4wd" market. The 2010+ Outback is absolutely the best bang for the buck if you want AWD and some cargo space. Subaru owns northern New England, Colorado, and the Pac NW markets where winter driving is important. Those markets have lots of dealerships and lots of competition. The street price for a Subaru in the Denver market is about 10% under MSRP. About 8% under MSRP in New England. It's the best bang for the buck in that market segment.

I winter at a ski resort. If I lived in Florida, Subaru wouldn't be on my radar screen at all.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:45 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,093,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I never see new MX 5 Miata's
A bunch around here...

Old 10-16-2019, 07:46 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,093,479 times
Mazda has always been a niche brand... an alternate to the larger mainstream brands.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:26 AM

451 posts, read 497,471 times
Thanks everyone for your helpful feedback. I never realized that Mazda was such a small manufacturer. Even though I posted positive links about the CX-5, I personally know people who have had and don’t like Mazda’s in general. The only reason I was looking into the CX-5 is because I was disappointed in the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V. They were originally my #1 and #2 choices IF I bought a CUV.

I like the looks of the CR-V more than the RAV4, but I crossed it off my list because it’s had tons of problems, and I don’t want a CVT due to all the bad things I’ve heard about those. When I test drove the RAV4 XLE Premium, I just didn’t like the rugged look or the interior – especially with the color upholstery that I’d get. I’m not crazy about the raised and thick infotainment screen, among other things. Just like the Camry, I felt the RAV4 had a little acceleration/sluggishness issues due to the new eight-speed transmission, but I’ve been driving a six-cylinder BMW for 20 years so probably anything is going to seem sluggish to me.

While sitting up higher and having the versatility of a CUV is appealing, I’ve now decided that I’m going back to my original plan of buying a sedan despite the trend of CUV’s. I’m going to get a 2020 Camry XLE four cylinder. I want a Toyota because of its long-term reliability and longevity, which are the most important things to me. I’m not in love with the RAV4 so that means I’m not getting a CUV. Even though I was trying to talk myself into the RAV4, the truth is, there are a lot more things that I like about the Camry, and I still like sedans for several reasons.

It’s also usually just me in my vehicle, and I don’t have dogs, kids or grandkids. The 2020 Camry also has more space than my current car, which has worked fine for me for 20 years. I like the interior and exterior much more than the RAV4. The Camry has a CD player where the RAV4 doesn’t. With a Camry, I can get leather trimmed without a sunroof where the RAV4 has SofTex (fake leather) and comes with a sunroof, which I’d rather not pay for again. Consumer Reports also recommends the 2019 Camry and rates it highly as to “Overall Reliability.” There are all greens in every category under “Potential Trouble Spots” except for one (in-car electronics), and I assume the 2020 will be better because they added Android Auto.

Besides, if I’m honest with myself, the only reason I truly considered a CUV in the first place is because that’s the trend now although it would be helpful when I move in the spring and other occasional times. The problem is I kept reading and listening to all the hype that sedans are going to be obsolete and was concerned that I’d have a problem later with parts and/or suffer severe depreciation.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
Thanks everyone for your helpful feedback. I never realized that Mazda was such a small manufacturer. Even though I posted positive links about the CX-5, I personally know people who have had and don’t like Mazda’s in general. The only reason I was looking into the CX-5 is because I was disappointed in the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V. They were originally my #1 and #2 choices IF I bought a CUV.

I like the looks of the CR-V more than the RAV4, but I crossed it off my list because it’s had tons of problems, and I don’t want a CVT due to all the bad things I’ve heard about those. When I test drove the RAV4 XLE Premium, I just didn’t like the rugged look or the interior – especially with the color upholstery that I’d get. I’m not crazy about the raised and thick infotainment screen, among other things. Just like the Camry, I felt the RAV4 had a little acceleration/sluggishness issues due to the new eight-speed transmission, but I’ve been driving a six-cylinder BMW for 20 years so probably anything is going to seem sluggish to me.
My CX5 would probably crush your 6 cylinder BMW unless it has an ///M on that backside.

While sitting up higher and having the versatility of a CUV is appealing, I’ve now decided that I’m going back to my original plan of buying a sedan despite the trend of CUV’s. I’m going to get a 2020 Camry XLE four cylinder. I want a Toyota because of its long-term reliability and longevity, which are the most important things to me. I’m not in love with the RAV4 so that means I’m not getting a CUV. Even though I was trying to talk myself into the RAV4, the truth is, there are a lot more things that I like about the Camry, and I still like sedans for several reasons.
If you don't need a CUV, then get a sedan. They handle better and are more fuel efficient. Some of us need CUV's. I do. If I did not, I'd get a sedan as you state.

It’s also usually just me in my vehicle, and I don’t have dogs, kids or grandkids. The 2020 Camry also has more space than my current car, which has worked fine for me for 20 years. I like the interior and exterior much more than the RAV4. The Camry has a CD player where the RAV4 doesn’t. With a Camry, I can get leather trimmed without a sunroof where the RAV4 has SofTex (fake leather) and comes with a sunroof, which I’d rather not pay for again. Consumer Reports also recommends the 2019 Camry and rates it highly as to “Overall Reliability.” There are all greens in every category under “Potential Trouble Spots” except for one (in-car electronics), and I assume the 2020 will be better because they added Android Auto.

Besides, if I’m honest with myself, the only reason I truly considered a CUV in the first place is because that’s the trend now although it would be helpful when I move in the spring and other occasional times. The problem is I kept reading and listening to all the hype that sedans are going to be obsolete and was concerned that I’d have a problem later with parts and/or suffer severe depreciation.
People are stupid. Don't do stuff just because "It's a trend". It sounds to me like you really want and should get a sedan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive