Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 11:38 AM

7,520 posts, read 13,639,903 times

Advertisements

Words fail me........

https://jalopnik.com/does-tire-rotat...iga-1839270921

Does Tire Rotation Include Tightening Lug Nuts? Michigan Court Thinks About It For Awhile, Concludes 'No'

https://cases.justia.com/michigan/co...?ts=1571230879
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 12:32 PM

15,804 posts, read 20,539,754 times
And this is how "Lug nut tightening fee: $5.95" started to be added to repair bills kids.

Old 10-23-2019, 04:35 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,239,664 times
As I understand it, the ruling and your headline is not as it seems. I don't think the ruling is that shops are not required to tighten lug nuts, though why would they be required to tighten lug nuts? Who's going to enforce that and require that?

The issue is about agency. MVSRA (Motor Vehicle Service and Repair Act) is invoked when there is fraud and deception. In this case, the tires were rotated so there was nothing fraudulent or deceptive. The obvious issue is that the lug nuts were not properly tightened, which is an issue of negligence...not fraud. In fact, the technician pretty much admitted to negligence. This is just a case where the lawyer used the wrong legal strategy and incorrectly applied the law. The appellate judge was more technical than practical and the result is a bunch of shock-value headlines. At least that's my opinion.

Old 10-23-2019, 04:45 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,906,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Words fail me........
Good, cause that's not what the ruling was.

It WAS a stupid move by the court and probably will be appealed again.

BUT Shops in Michigan that don't tighten lug nuts are still negligent! That's what the court of appeals ruled. They also ruled that MVSRA didn't apply because the judges were dumb.

MVSRA is "AN ACT to regulate the practice of servicing and repairing motor vehicles; to proscribe unfair and
deceptive practices; to provide for training and certification of mechanics; to provide for the registration of
motor vehicle repair facilities; to provide for enforcement; and to prescribe penalties."

By ruling MVSRA didn't apply, the judges said that the hurt party can't get their lawyer fees paid for.

Old 10-23-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
This is just a case where the lawyer used the wrong legal strategy and incorrectly applied the law. The appellate judge was more technical than practical and the result is a bunch of shock-value headlines. At least that's my opinion.
But it's not. Jurisprudence says that IS a proper application of MVSRA. This is the first time since 1974 that it has been successfully appealed. For the last 45 years, juries have awarded MVSRA penalties to shops for failing to tighten oil drain plugs, tighten lug nuts, etc. For 45 years, appellate courts have upheld that MVSRA applies in these cases.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:26 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,874,265 times
One shop I go to has you come back the day after getting new tires, oil change wheel rotations, etc. to re-tighten the lug nuts. Is this not a common practice, and is it not a recommendation?

Old 10-23-2019, 09:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,570,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
One shop I go to has you come back the day after getting new tires, oil change wheel rotations, etc. to re-tighten the lug nuts. Is this not a common practice, and is it not a recommendation?
Yes it’s a good idea to retorque lugnuts after driving a bit.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:32 PM

9,991 posts, read 5,695,637 times
Looks to me like they tried to shoehorn a negligence case into a fraud and deception statute for a bigger payday and lost.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Looks to me like they tried to shoehorn a negligence case into a fraud and deception statute for a bigger payday and lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
But it's not. Jurisprudence says that IS a proper application of MVSRA. This is the first time since 1974 that it has been successfully appealed. For the last 45 years, juries have awarded MVSRA penalties to shops for failing to tighten oil drain plugs, tighten lug nuts, etc. For 45 years, appellate courts have upheld that MVSRA applies in these cases.
Again, that's what the law has done for the last 45 years

Old 10-24-2019, 08:02 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,833,246 times
Isn't the problem here really about having to use an inapplicable law to get court costs paid. Why can't they get court costs paid without needing the MVSRA? They only used the MVSRA to get court costs paid. If they proved negligence, court cost should be part of it, shouldn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive