Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 03:59 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post

I was going to bring up the new Raptor, but it's outlier. Plus, there seems to be general confusion over the difference between basic AWD and basic 4X4. Throwing the Raptor into the discussion seemed like a bridge too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
So technically a Land Cruiser or LX570 is an AWD vehicle with a center locker for true 4x4.

I'm not familiar with the technical aspects of either of those vehicles, but AWD vehicles with the ability to lock the center differential have been around for decades. Some wear 4X4 badges, some AWD badges. The badge is more of a marketing thing. Full-sized truck buyers, for example, seem to be put-off by AWD. Let's face it - nobody wants to see "AWD" in giant letters plastered on the sides of their F150.

There are vehicles that can be operated in 2WD, AWD, or 4WD. How one refers to said vehicles is a personal matter, but any one of the labels is technically correct depending on what mode the vehicle is in.

Old 11-18-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post

The referenced article states the difference between AWD and 4WD very succinctly.

"Basically, AWD works when there's a drivetrain that uses a front, rear and center differential, whereas 4WD has a drivetrain that has just two differentials and a transfer case that provides equal power to all four wheels"

Note that they don't refer to the 4WD transfer case as a differential. That's because it provides no differential functionality in 4WD Low or High, as evidenced by the statement "provides equal power". The term differential means unequal.

Old 11-18-2019, 04:36 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I'm not familiar with the technical aspects of either of those vehicles, but AWD vehicles with the ability to lock the center differential have been around for decades.
LX/LC have Torsen diff in the middle that can be locked.

I've personally never seen an AWD with a locking center.

I had an AWD Bravada years ago that had an auto locking rear diff. That thing was a beast in snow and mud.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:03 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,129,801 times
Quote:
LX/LC have Torsen diff in the middle that can be locked.

I've personally never seen an AWD with a locking center.

I had an AWD Bravada years ago that had an auto locking rear diff. That thing was a beast in snow and mud.
My Cayenne is AWD and I can lock the center differential when off-roading.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
My Cayenne is AWD and I can lock the center differential when off-roading.
So it is a true 4WD? Locking center diffs mean 4WD, did we establish that?

Land Cruiser uses same setup, I seriously doubt a Cayenne was engineered for Land Cruiser off road duty in the same way lets throw both around a racetrack track and see what's what.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
So it is a true 4WD? Locking center diffs mean 4WD, did we establish that?

Land Cruiser uses same setup, I seriously doubt a Cayenne was engineered for Land Cruiser off road duty in the same way lets throw both around a racetrack track and see what's what.
It’s listed as AWD and locking differential was an option. When you lock in the differential, it raises air suspension very noticeably higher and once you go above 15 mph it’ll automatically lower and kick out the locking. It has hill decent also and it’s the turbo model. I’m one of about 5 or less people in country who take one off-roading, but it’s designed for it.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
It’s listed as AWD and locking differential was an option. When you lock in the differential, it raises air suspension very noticeably higher and once you go above 15 mph it’ll automatically lower and kick out the locking. It has hill decent also and it’s the turbo model. I’m one of about 5 or less people in country who take one off-roading, but it’s designed for it.
No offense, but that's not really true. I'm glad it has served you well but a unibody Porsche SUV isn't designed for grueling off road duty like a BOF Land Cruiser or Lexus LX or GX or G-Wagen.

Toyota's objective with the LC is to build it to last 25 years....in deserts and swamps and in the world's worst conditions, literally.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
No offense, but that's not really true. I'm glad it has served you well but a unibody Porsche SUV isn't designed for grueling off road duty like a BOF Land Cruiser or Lexus LX or GX or G-Wagen.

Toyota's objective with the LC is to build it to last 25 years....in deserts and swamps and in the world's worst conditions, literally.
Correct, makes sense. And true, it wasn’t designed to do just that, it excels in the only things Porsche cares about. It’s why I put it as the best overall vehicle made. Runs in the 3’s and takes me deep into woods with my Jeep buddies.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Correct, makes sense. And true, it wasn’t designed to do just that, it excels in the only things Porsche cares about. It’s why I put it as the best overall vehicle made. Runs in the 3’s and takes me deep into woods with my Jeep buddies.
Glad it works out for you!!! Runs in the 3s? Good lord. We really can have our cake and eat it, too.

I just like a nice, BOF truck. I've had enough tickets lol. As long as there's a nice sounding V8 that has good power, I'm happy. The feeling of solidity in a LC/Lexus LX can't really be topped. I got in a new one once and shut the door and was blown away by the thunk, my ears actually popped. I drive a flagship LS430 so I know how solid thunking doors are supposed to sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive