Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 12:32 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,371,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
You are wrong about NJ. There are now 127 stations across NJ with generators. The 22 stations you mentioned are ALL the high capacity fuel stations on the toll roads - NJTP, GSP, and Atlantic City Expressway.

After Superstorm Sandy (10/22/2012), NJ put a plan in effect that allowed certain size gas stations to get grants for installing backup generators.

https://www.njeda.com/disaster_relie...l_fuel_station
https://www.njeda.com/Press-Room/New...E-NOW-ELIGIBLE

https://www.njeda.com/pdfs/RFS_ApprovedStations.aspx
http://ready.nj.gov/programs/pdf/RFS...ist-102113.pdf
I stand corrected, the site I originally pulled up said 22 in NJ. But just to clarify, most of the capability shown is not full capability - it shows some (47) have generators but the majority (80) only have quick connect capability that was installed. These other individual stations may or may not be capable depending on generator availability.

It still stands that this was about cutting power to prevent fires in CA and backup capability is not available in those areas to be able to refuel an ICE vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 01:41 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
If I wanted to live in the areas of California where they cut the power off whenever there is a wildfire or weather situation (which I don't) I would have my residence set up to deal with it.

To start with, I'd have a generator to run my fridge and freezer and a couple of lights after dark. If I wanted to have an electric car (which I don't), I would have it set up to run off of a solar panel. The sun shines all the time, so a solar panel would produce a lot of electricity. Plug it directly into the car and when the car isn't there, switch it to a back-up battery bank.

The electric company isn't making any secret of the fact they are going to shut off power any time there are high winds or if there is a fire anywhere. It's not like it would be a total surprise and if you know it is going to happen several times a year, for 3-4 days at a time, you prepare in advance.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:02 PM

7,771 posts, read 6,378,272 times
There was a golf cart dealer where we lived in Arizona that tried selling electric carts with solar panels on the roof. The problem was that if you kept the cart in the garage there was no sunshine, no battery charge. He gave up after a short time.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:18 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
There was a golf cart dealer where we lived in Arizona that tried selling electric carts with solar panels on the roof. The problem was that if you kept the cart in the garage there was no sunshine, no battery charge. He gave up after a short time.
Yeah, would make more sense to sell golf cars with a plug.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:28 PM

17,305 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, would make more sense to sell golf cars with a plug.
...which most have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive