Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 08:39 AM

1,069 posts, read 786,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Best one I ever had was a 1500-watt inline tank heater on my first car, a 62 Impala SS. I lived in Northern Wisconsin, and -10 degrees was not uncommon. -20 and even-30 wasn't unheard of.

I had to leave for work every morning by 6 AM, and I didn't have space in the garage to park it. So I parked it outside the garage, and set up a timer on the outlet to power up the heater at 0430. By 0600, all I had to do was turn the key, and "vroom!" Not only did the car fire right up every morning without fail, but it blew hot air from the heater immediately.

I used to love going out there in the bitter cold, where sound carried all the way into next week, and as soon as I closed the back door behind me I'd hear the swishing and gurgling from 100 feet away as the heater circulated the hot water through the entire engine block and cooling system. Felt pretty good when it was 20 below zero and pitch dark outside. The only downside was that turning the heater on "defrost" right from the get-go like that once cracked my windshield all the way from one corner to the other.

That Chevy's inline tank heater was a great way to overcome extreme cold and get the car to do the "vroom" thing.

Great point, warning people about the cracked windshield, Those who read this can be a more conservative when setting temperature on their defroster and not direct hot air on a on a very cold windshield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 09:37 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
That Chevy's inline tank heater was a great way to overcome extreme cold and get the car to do the "vroom" thing.

Great point, warning people about the cracked windshield, Those who read this can be a more conservative when setting temperature on their defroster and not direct hot air on a on a very cold windshield.
Yeah, from that I learned never to direct hot air at a cold windshield. If it's super cold, I'll let the interior of the car warm up a bit before turning the defroster loose. It's been 40+ years since that happened, but I still do that to this day.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:04 AM

Default It's kinda like learning not to pour hot water on a frozen windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Yeah, from that I learned never to direct hot air at a cold windshield. If it's super cold, I'll let the interior of the car warm up a bit before turning the defroster loose. It's been 40+ years since that happened, but I still do that to this day.

It's kinda like learning not to pour hot water on a frozen windshield, You only do it till you crack a windshield.

Real severe cold doesn't happen all that often but 40 states have seen recorded temperatures of 30 below zero in the Continental U.S..

Here's a link to the map

https://weather.com/news/climate/new...rded-50-states

It's enough to make you put an engine block heater on your car.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:23 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
I’ve been using oil pan heaters. I don’t bother using it unless it’s subzero. The OEM engine block heater on my Outback requires you unbolt the exhaust manifold. That’s not DIY for a car under warranty and dealers want a couple hours of labor to do the install. The oil pan heaters have always done the job and they’re trivial to install.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:06 PM

Default Good decision, never look for extra work when it comes to car modifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’ve been using oil pan heaters. I don’t bother using it unless it’s subzero. The OEM engine block heater on my Outback requires you unbolt the exhaust manifold. That’s not DIY for a car under warranty and dealers want a couple hours of labor to do the install. The oil pan heaters have always done the job and they’re trivial to install.

Good decision, never look for extra work when it comes to car modifications. Simple plus physically easy is good plus inexpensive is even better. You have improved your cars starting capability in cold weather to where it suits your needs. It doesn't get any better then that.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:33 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I prefer
Kat's Engine Heaters Circulating Tank Heater, (or similar)

Freeze Plug heaters are prone to leak, and cannot put out the heat (BTU) of a tank heater, nor circulate.

Oil plan heaters (magnetic / stick on) are helpful too, but will not warm the combustion chamber (which engines prefer) for 'cold-start'. Especially Diesel (no spark plugs).

We also have had to use warming engine blankets when the wind is howling and cooling off the exterior faster than we can heat the interior of engine. (heavy equipment / tractor engines are more exposed to wind)

An engine warmer is a big benefit to cold starts (engine bearing / friction health)
Doing it through the coolant chambers is good for head and block., but oil pan is often exposed to cold wind / thick oil.
Synthetic Multi Viscosity was a Godsend

Give engine time to get fully oiled BEFORE accelerating / revving up. Synthetic Multi Viscosity was a Godsend to reducing cranking pressures and increasing 'cold-flow' lubricity.

remember the days... pump accelerator 3x (or more) before cranking.

Got my first FI in a 1976 Opel Sportwagon. Heavenly cold starts in WY and CO.
Thanks for reminding me why I no longer drive diesel in Alaska.

Regarding leaking freeze plugs - that may be a Big 3 thing. Never had that issue in 40 years of Toyotas and Volvos but I suppose it could occur.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:13 AM

Default I miss beating on frozen to the drum brake shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Thanks for reminding me why I no longer drive diesel in Alaska.

Regarding leaking freeze plugs - that may be a Big 3 thing. Never had that issue in 40 years of Toyotas and Volvos but I suppose it could occur.

Running those diesels overnight in real cold was mandatory if you didn't have a hot box and (heet) in the fuel tank.

The freeze plug and radiator failure thing has a lot more to do with pickup trucks who's owners didn't change the coolant every 30,000 miles like they are supposed to.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:56 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Running those diesels overnight in real cold was mandatory if you didn't have a hot box and (heet) in the fuel tank.

The freeze plug and radiator failure thing has a lot more to do with pickup trucks who's owners didn't change the coolant every 30,000 miles like they are supposed to.
My younger brother had his own steel hauling semi trucking Metro Detroit in the winter he would never shut his rigs off, they were a pia to start on a cold winter morning. He would go through lots of starting fluid and plenty of jump starts.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:39 PM

Default Historically Michigan has seen temperatures down to 51 degree's below zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
My younger brother had his own steel hauling semi trucking Metro Detroit in the winter he would never shut his rigs off, they were a pia to start on a cold winter morning. He would go through lots of starting fluid and plenty of jump starts.

Historically Michigan has seen temperatures down to 51 degree's below zero. Michigan knows all about cold weather.

See the historic low's temperature map link on my earlier post. Running the truck in extreme cold overnight is pretty common rather then shutting it off but it becomes expensive. The hot box brand heater was a good tool as were the electric plugin heaters.

Don't forget cars need engine heaters in extreme cold too. A number of good examples have been mentioned by folks on this thread and these would be very helpful to someone new to an area that experiences extremely cold in winter.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:10 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Certainly not necessary here in the PNW. But I've used one of those external ones on a prior turbo-4 vehicle as boost was limited until it hit operating temp and the highway on-ramp was only a mile away. As turbo-4 is quickly becoming the standard engine it seems I wonder if adoption of this will pick up as people experience what their cars feel like as turbo-less-4s waiting to warm up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive