Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 04:50 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Or you can do what my grandfather used to do in Montana:

He'd make a little fire in a flat steel pan, and when it died down to embers, he slid it under the oil pan of the old Model A and waited half an hour.
I knew a guy who did that in the 80’s in Northern Ontario in Canada. But didn’t wait until it died to embers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 08:16 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
In Kansas, where it rarely went below 15-20, farmers would just hang their 100w trouble light all night next to their crankcase on cold nights.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:39 PM

1,069 posts, read 784,774 times
Default That's a good example of keeping it simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
In Kansas, where it rarely went below 15-20, farmers would just hang their 100w trouble light all night next to their crankcase on cold nights.
That's a good example of keeping it simple. if it gets the car or truck started he wins.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:15 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Running those diesels overnight in real cold was mandatory if you didn't have a hot box and (heet) in the fuel tank.
When I was young I had a F250 crew cab diesel that had been a line truck on the north slope. When I bought it the truck had 27,000 miles but most likely 27,000 hours of idling time as well. We had plug ins in the parking lots at UAF to use while in class but nothing at the dry cabin I rented as student housing. I would leave the truck running all the time from October till April. The couple of times I shut it off it was the devil to restart even with all the heaters plugged in. Back then they didn't have low temp diesel so if it stopped flowing through the line you were left with a waxy mess.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:55 PM

705 posts, read 504,502 times
I live in ND, I just use one of those magnet heaters I bought on Amazon.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:08 AM

Default I'll bet that Magnet Heater has paid for itself more then once if you owned it for any length of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I live in ND, I just use one of those magnet heaters I bought on Amazon.

I'll bet that Magnet Heater has paid for itself more then once if you owned it for any length of time.

Old 11-09-2019, 02:38 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
I'll bet that Magnet Heater has paid for itself more then once if you owned it for any length of time.
I had one of those but now many oil pans are made out of aluminum and the magnet oil heater won’t work on them. I’ve also had the dip stick tube heaters also but you couldn’t shut your hood all the way.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:31 AM

Default Just the fact that block heaters were installed by Chrysler by default is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Chrysler installs the block heater element in the freeze plug as default in the build process on many Dodge trucks (goes place of a freeze plug).

If you opt for it at purchase time, they simply install the power cord and charge you the full $109 price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr0OswRnqpg

Just the fact that block heaters were installed by Chrysler by default is a great policy on their part.. The electric Cords can be ordered by those who need them and they are good to go in extreme cold weather.

Here is the record cold map link again I posted on page 3 of this thread. It's hard to believe most of the United States has seen 30 below temperatures.

https://weather.com/news/climate/new...rded-50-states

Winter is coming and engine block heaters are worth looking into.

Old 11-09-2019, 03:41 PM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I had one of those but now many oil pans are made out of aluminum and the magnet oil heater won’t work on them. I’ve also had the dip stick tube heaters also but you couldn’t shut your hood all the way.

For these reasons the permanent self-adhering ones are top rated by users.
I've also been informed by a retired fleet mechanic from Com Ed power Co. that we should be using a different starting procedure on many vehicles during extreme cold.
Turn key to on, then wait 30 seconds for fuel pump to pressure up before actually starting engine.
Not sure if this has merit, but doesn't hurt to follow the advice.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:16 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
For these reasons the permanent self-adhering ones are top rated by users.
I've also been informed by a retired fleet mechanic from Com Ed power Co. that we should be using a different starting procedure on many vehicles during extreme cold.
Turn key to on, then wait 30 seconds for fuel pump to pressure up before actually starting engine.
Not sure if this has merit, but doesn't hurt to follow the advice.
Last winter during that winter vortex temperatures were -40 windshield and both my vehicles started they moaned but they started right up. If they were diesel would be different story but i would of had a block heater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive