Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 04:46 PM

4,543 posts, read 3,744,949 times

Advertisements

For a midsize vehicle - This car will travel approx 60-70 miles a day. This car needs to last at least 150k miles and preferably 200k without major repairs like the Germans do. Half of that will be rush hour highway (mostly smooth 70mph but of course, sudden stops and braking can occur due to accidents, etc) and the other 50% will be pure stop and go driving with tons of traffic lights. Mostly with 1-2 passengers and not much other heavy luggage. Need a midsize vs small like Corolla/Civic, so don't suggest those.

Looking for reliability first and also looking for something that is not "weak." Meaning, if I want to merge onto a highway with traffic going 55-70mph and I'm at a standstill then I need the power to do that because this happens a lot in NOVA/DC. (Hey, don't blame me for ridiculous highway designs in the DC/NOVA area, although I know it has *become* like this due to higher traffic demands rather than being designed).

The other thing is that hardly anyone offers a normally aspirated V6 on the regular midsize option. I was considering the Hyundai Sonata, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Subaru Legacy and others. The reason for my normally aspirated V6 is the reliability and the smooth power, but you can try to convince me otherwise for the longevity of turbo 4 cyl engines.

I'm sure there will be posts on other cars as suggestions with this many miles, that I need electric or some other options. I'm just not sold on the Tesla Model 3 with reliability issues. Even though I know electric motors have way less maintenance than gas engines.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 04:55 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,943,367 times
Kia Cadenza V6 over Toyota Camry V6 any day of the week for reliability, durability, and dependability. Kia may be more comfortable since there's more luxury features for your long commutes. It's also rated #1 most-reliable by Consumer Reports too under premium sedans.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:25 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Kia Cadenza V6 over Toyota Camry V6 any day of the week for reliability, durability, and dependability. Kia may be more comfortable since there's more luxury features for your long commutes. It's also rated #1 most-reliable by Consumer Reports too under premium sedans.
The Hyundai Lambda 3.3 engine is decent (other than timing chain rattle), but it's in no way better than the Toyota 2gr V6 in the Camry.

My personal opinion, as much as I love the smooth V6 in the Camry and Avalon, it will use a lot of fuel for a 70 mile per day commute. A Camry hybrid would make more sense so that OP could take advantage of the stop and go driving.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Nothing wrong with a V6 Camry, and they're still making them. They made V6 Accords up until the 2017 model year, and Accords are really nice, reliable cars too, I owned a 2013, and that's within the same cycle, great car. It shouldn't be too hard to find a cherry 2017 Accord Touring with leather and a V6 and under 30K miles still. Here's a 2017 Touring in my neighborhood with 22K miles and they're asking $23K.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7822/overview/

Old 10-28-2019, 07:07 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4mce4bCAHo

I absolutely vouch for Crown Vic/Grand Marquis. I am commuting heavily in 98 MGM and could not have done better, though I bought her with 178K miles. And, ironically, for exactly $1500.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:18 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post

Looking for reliability first and also looking for something that is not "weak." Meaning, if I want to merge onto a highway with traffic going 55-70mph
Oh my!

Have had a 4 cylinder since the 1970's. Sedans, trucks, and SUV's.
Drove/rode/commuted on infamous highways and roadways.

Never ever had an issue with a 4 cylinder.

Some sort of macho bragging rights hipster doofus mentality.

MPG money saved is in the bank !

Old 10-28-2019, 07:27 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328;56511979. [B
The reason for my normally aspirated V6 is the reliability and the smooth power, but you can try to convince me otherwise for the longevity of turbo 4 cyl engines.
[/b]
Turbo's are great for diesels but early death for gasoline.

Reason?

There are no lubricating properties in gasoline for the piston rings. Whereas diesel fuel (oil) has natural lubricating properties being a light thin oil that will ignite.

As to engine size. There is seldom a need for a V6 when an inline 4 cyl. is offered for a car. After all the 4cyl is designed to power the car at a sane speed limit.

If you want to race a car buy a racing car. If you want transportation then buy plain 4cyl. and save a ton of money.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:35 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,571,815 times
I have the same powertrain in my 17 Lexus ES350. Not the most fuel efficient option for such a commute, but the Toyota v6 equipped with the 6-speed auto is amongst the smoothest and reliable powertrains out there.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:12 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,943,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The Hyundai Lambda 3.3 engine is decent (other than timing chain rattle), but it's in no way better than the Toyota 2gr V6 in the Camry.

My personal opinion, as much as I love the smooth V6 in the Camry and Avalon, it will use a lot of fuel for a 70 mile per day commute. A Camry hybrid would make more sense so that OP could take advantage of the stop and go driving.
Yes, I would easily agree with you that Toyota V6 engine is most-reliable in the class, much better than their 4-cylinder, I think. I prefer the fuel-injection over the newer direct-injection. Consumer Reports has a very breathtaking reliability score for Lexus RX, historically, with 3.5L V6 engine.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:51 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,540,758 times
If you are more concerned about power over gas mileage, then absolutely get the V6 Camry or even the Avalon for even more comfort on your long commute. Both are very reliable and will last much longer than any other V6 car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive