Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 10:01 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

For the past 2 vehicles Ive owned I have used the same oil change place, Valvoline, Ive never had any problems and they do a good job, however my 13 Honda CRV is now due for an oil change and Im debating whether I should go somewhere else...Ideally I was thinking about going to a Honda dealer, but not sure what the cost is for an oil change at a dealer, I know there is a chevrolet dealer that does them for $40, (an oil change place is usually around $60-80), so maybe the dealer is the cheaper route, IDK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 04:44 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,403,227 times
Go to either the cheapest place you can find, or the most expensive, or somewhere in the middle. It does not matter. It's nice that Valvoline does a "good job". You know who else does a good job? Everybody else! It's not rocket science to drain out oil and put new oil back in.

Whatever.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:08 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Go to either the cheapest place you can find, or the most expensive, or somewhere in the middle. It does not matter. It's nice that Valvoline does a "good job". You know who else does a good job? Everybody else! It's not rocket science to drain out oil and put new oil back in.

Whatever.
You’re right. There shouldn’t be any difference. And it isn’t rocket science. Too bad your post is highly uninformed.

So since changing oil is easy, why do so many oil changes places, forget to put oil in, strip drain plugs, leave/forget tightening drain plugs, don’t change the oil, use cheaper substitutes for oil or filters than what they charge you for, over/under fill it, try to sell you unneeded services or simply don’t perform those services.
Cheap oil places are cheap for a reason. They use inferior products, try to sell unneeded work and generally f up your car. But hey you got your oil changed. Maybe.

You couldn’t be more wrong about these places. Plenty get caught defrauding or screwing customers in some way.

If I don’t have time to diy my oil I take it to the dealer or a local mechanic I trust. Dealers really are very inexpensive for oil changes. In a lot of cases cheaper than the chain oil joints. And you’re getting factory parts and correct oil. Yeah they I’ll try to sell you bs repairs too but at least you’re getting better filters and fluids.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:10 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,220 times
Dealerships want to get you in so they can hit you up for more repairs and service that they "discover" when doing the oil change. Be forewarned.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Big commercial places generally hire inexperienced kids who leave as soon as possible and never care about their job. Some smaller independent palaces, the owners do the work. They also tend to charge less. The place I use charges $28 for 7 quart oil change and filter. They check and if needed top off the other fluids. They check the aim of your headlights and adjust it if needed. They do not do any repair work, except minor adjustments which they do for free. It takes only a few minutes. You pull in, get out of the car or truck, and stand there and watch them do the work. Every seventh change is half price. I cannot do it much cheaper at home if any cheaper. The guys who do the work own the place. They obviously enjoy doing it and they have been doing it for over 20 years. Valvoline charged $88 for the same truck and the work was done by hungover kids who lied to me like mad in an attempt to upsell.

You just have to find the right place.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:43 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Dealerships want to get you in so they can hit you up for more repairs and service that they "discover" when doing the oil change. Be forewarned.
I guess I have been lucky then. I have used Ford dealerships in 4 states over the past 30 years and the only recommendations for service I got were in direct line with the owner's manual maintenance schedule or were obvious (worn tires for example).

Green Country Ford in Vinita, Okla
Lewis Ford in Fayetteville, Ark
World Ford in Pensacola, Fl
Jacky Jones Ford in Sweetwater, Tn

Old 10-30-2019, 05:45 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You’re right. There shouldn’t be any difference. And it isn’t rocket science. Too bad your post is highly uninformed.

So since changing oil is easy, why do so many oil changes places, forget to put oil in, strip drain plugs, leave/forget tightening drain plugs, don’t change the oil, use cheaper substitutes for oil or filters than what they charge you for, over/under fill it, try to sell you unneeded services or simply don’t perform those services.
Cheap oil places are cheap for a reason. They use inferior products, try to sell unneeded work and generally f up your car. But hey you got your oil changed. Maybe.

You couldn’t be more wrong about these places. Plenty get caught defrauding or screwing customers in some way.

If I don’t have time to diy my oil I take it to the dealer or a local mechanic I trust. Dealers really are very inexpensive for oil changes. In a lot of cases cheaper than the chain oil joints. And you’re getting factory parts and correct oil. Yeah they I’ll try to sell you bs repairs too but at least you’re getting better filters and fluids.
And if anything happens like a strip drain plug it all on their computer system that you got your last oil change there. And love the op said your getting the right oil and filter for you vehicle. I don’t know why oil change places still exist with cheap dealer oil changes. Especially if you’re vehicle is still under warranty, and when the dealer writes you up for the oil change they use your vin number and can see if any recall or service advisories pop up.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:52 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
but not sure what the cost is for an oil change at a dealer, I know there is a chevrolet dealer that does them for $40, (an oil change place is usually around $60-80), so maybe the dealer is the cheaper route, IDK?
The GM dealer here charges me $70 for an oil change and tire rotation. My truck takes 8 quarts though, I doubt your CR-V takes as much.

The one thing I miss about owning a Ford is the Quick Lane at the dealer. $45 for an oil change, tire rotation and inspection and no appointment needed.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:52 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
If you're happy with Valvoline why would you change locations?

Old 10-30-2019, 05:56 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Only if you let them you can say no you know and say just change the oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive