Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 04:48 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
If the engine-compartment is capacious, and the supporting-electronics are few, then removing an engine, tearing it down, taking the bits to a machine-shop, rebuilding and reassembly, aren't too onerous. And every engine rebuild is a chance for more overbore, maybe doing a little more cylinder head-porting, a camshaft change, and other increases in power.
Those are a lot of "if"s. Did my engine rebuilds (crank regrind, cylinder boring to remove taper etc.) in my younger years. No more. And most of the machine shops that did such work are gone. And it still took days to pull the engine, strip it of accessories like carb and starter, and get it ready for the shop. Not to mention re-assembly time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 05:10 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Are you kidding? Cars don't come with tool kits anymore, as you don't need to fiddle with them all the time to keep them running right, like you used to do with carburetors and points. Electronics have made every system SIMPLER, and cars need very little in maintenance now to keep running regardless of climate or weather or age.

BTW, I've had over 30 custom aircooled VWs. Simple they were, and easy to customize, but they needed to be fiddled with all the time to keep them running right. from adjusting the points to tweaking the carb, to adjusting valves every 3000 miles!!!

Yeah, I have not fond memories of crawling on the back of a VW Bus on the side of the freeway to change points. Thanks but no thanks. My overly complicated Toyota is oil changes and filters, spark plugs at 120k. Yes, please although I did do a drain and fill on the transmission fluid at 60k.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:08 AM

1,069 posts, read 784,774 times
Default "Cars are more advanced, but they're also much, much more reliable"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I guess more expense, since cars are more expensive to buy than they used to be. Although, when you account for inflation, they aren't that much more expensive.

Complexity is much less. Cars are more advanced, but they're also much, much more reliable than they used to be. Just keep the oil and filters changed and that's about it for the first 100,000 miles on the vast majority of cars and light trucks. Maybe a set of tires and brakes, but that's to be expected and can easily be budgeted for.

"Cars are more advanced, but they're also much, much more reliable"

Survey Says! Maybe not. Here's a link to what car millions of car owners are saying about their cars.

Carsurvey.org - Car Reviews

Here's a link to the debate between dealerships and independent auto repair garages.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../31/547058.htm

Here's is the latest from a very heavy hitter about car complexity.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90332941...f-driving-cars

How is all this automation, specialized software, and propitiatory tooling going effect rural America? Sixty million plus Americans are without public transportation.

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...l-america.html

Looks like cars might be getting complex without a lot of folks knowing the extent of the complexity.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:56 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
"Cars are more advanced, but they're also much, much more reliable"

Survey Says! Maybe not. Here's a link to what car millions of car owners are saying about their cars.

Carsurvey.org - Car Reviews

Here's a link to the debate between dealerships and independent auto repair garages.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../31/547058.htm

Here's is the latest from a very heavy hitter about car complexity.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90332941...f-driving-cars

How is all this automation, specialized software, and propitiatory tooling going effect rural America? Sixty million plus Americans are without public transportation.

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...l-america.html

Looks like cars might be getting complex without a lot of folks knowing the extent of the complexity.
Did you actually look at these links? None of them address reliability of modern cars. Fastcompany talks about self-driving. Insurance journal talks about independent repair shops vs authorized dealer repairs. Can't tell what carsurvey is about, but it's certainly not any kind of random sample.

Geesh.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:02 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
But these added costs have not appeared in practice! Instead, repair costs are lower these days because cars are much more reliable. Show me what cars and what systems have your "very high maintenance costs"? I don't know of any/
Many modern vehicles have expensive auto start/stop systems to shut off the engine when you're at a stop light, and restart it once you take your foot off the brake to go.

The sole purpose of these systems is to save a few tablespoons of gasoline to satisfy increasingly stringent CAFE standards.

The long-term maintenance costs are much more significant than any hypothetical gasoline savings. The starter motor has to be beefier & have a much longer MTBF. Ditto for the automobile battery and alternator. A typical car battery might be $80-$100 for my vehicle if it didn't have the auto start/stop system, but $180 with the auto start/stop feature.

Here in Las Vegas, an automobile battery typically lasts 2 years - the weather takes its toll. Moreover, during the hot months, you do not want the vehicle to shut off at a stop light: you want the AC going non-stop in MAX COOL. So you disable the feature. My vehicle doesn't have a permanently off feature, so I have to push the disable button each time I start the car.

During ski season in Park City, the auto/start feature never kicks in because of the cold weather.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:38 AM

1,069 posts, read 784,774 times
Default All the information referenced has to do with future cost and complexity of vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Did you actually look at these links? None of them address reliability of modern cars. Fastcompany talks about self-driving. Insurance journal talks about independent repair shops vs authorized dealer repairs. Can't tell what carsurvey is about, but it's certainly not any kind of random sample.

Geesh.

All the information referenced has to do with future cost and complexity of vehicles.

Insurance journal also talks about the (Propriety Data hardware and software) being prohibitively expensive for the independent car repair shops to own which is creating less competitive repair options for car owners.

Car survey is another available reference of owner experience of many models. Lots can be learned by reading of the experiences of a car owner and the pro's and cons of their ownership experience.

The CEO speaks for himself about his plans for the company's future and how technology has influenced those decisions.

Rural America link, is about (the number) people who depend on cars daily without mass transit options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive