Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 05:56 PM

4,242 posts, read 940,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Could you list the year, make, and model of your vehicle along with rim size? From experience I know cheap plastic aftermarket hubcaps don’t stay on well. Perhaps factory replacements will work better.
My 2007 Toyota Matrix was constantly losing hubcaps. In fact, the Matrix is well known for this. I bought four cheap plastic hubcaps on Amazon that look just as good and they've stayed on for well over six years now with no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 06:22 PM

802 posts, read 1,355,977 times
i cant believe in 2019 theres still cars with steel wheels.

im not talking about older cars.
I mean they still make new cars with steel wheels.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:23 PM

802 posts, read 1,355,977 times
i used to own 2004 civic
on that car it was impossible to lose hubcaps because it was being held in place with same lug nuts that hold the wheel.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:53 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,170,012 times
Do they have to match on opposite sides? If you need to buy a replacement, get two. F/R need to match, but your neighbors would never notice that L/R don't match.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,267,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtrustates View Post
i cant believe in 2019 theres still cars with steel wheels.

im not talking about older cars.
I mean they still make new cars with steel wheels.
Why wouldn’t they? If you wanna keep costs down on a entry level base model...cheap stamped steel wheels are the way to keep costs down.

In fact for durability or off road steel wheels are better as they can be pounded back into shape enough to get you back to asphalt when they bend off road

Lots of hubcaps these days get put on then the lug-nuts get tightened and hold the wheel and hubcap

Old 10-31-2019, 09:14 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,449,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
No practical reason. Hubcaps are for visual appeal only. See any 18-wheelers with hubcaps?
Actually yes, I have seen some with solid hubcaps on the back wheels, it sort of it gives it a 'futuristic' look.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:04 AM

18,933 posts, read 43,293,093 times
I thought most "wheel covers" these days were bolt on? The ones on my mother's Grand Marquis are like that, they go on before the lug nuts.

Anyways, back in the 70s and 80s it seemed like the majority of cars on the road had at least one missing hubcap. Even trucks had them back then. I think I still have one out in my shed that fell off of my uncles '77 GMC.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:07 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,776,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Actually yes, I have seen some with solid hubcaps on the back wheels, it sort of it gives it a 'futuristic' look.
Aerodynamics.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:16 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,187,979 times
The only thing about going without wheel covers is that the center of the wheel, where various hardware is, typically is somewhat unsightly. All that stuff's covered even without the wheel cover, so it's not a technical issue. I had one car that kept shedding wheel covers. I eventually went without, never found anything decent looking to cover the center parts, and then the car got old enough and the paint faded and I stopped caring.

In the vast majority of cases steel wheels are actually a technically superior product. Although the aluminum alloy is less dense, it's also less strong so in most cases for a cast aluminum wheel to be sufficiently strong to endure shocks, it ends up actually weighing more than the equivalent stamped steel wheel (spun high strength wheels like Centerline are the exception; I'm talking about the ordinary styled cast Al wheels typically supplied as OE equipment). Plus, the steel wheel's failure mode if it hits a pothole or curb too hard is to bend, which is unfortunate, but it's a heck a lot better than the failure mode of the cast Al wheel which is to break. I have personally straightened out more than one small dent in the rim of a steel wheel by whacking it with a big hammer, which you can't do with an Al cast wheel. Again, high quality very expensive racing wheels of Al are not what I'm talking about.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:08 AM

21,589 posts, read 12,650,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I doubt it. In fact I would argue that hubcaps could make rust/corrosion worse since moisture might get trapped behind the hubcaps and the hubcaps could prevent stuff from drying out as easily.

In reality it probably doesn't make much difference either way though.
I'll go with you, since I don't WANT to buy more hubcaps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive